Do I need a time machine or

does there still exist somewhere an order or individual house for men which meets these criteria:
1.Heavy emphasis on silence and solitude and divine contemplation
2.Truly dead to the world, no work away from property or interaction with outside (completely cloistered)
3. almost luddite level of rejection of modern technology
4.entirely latin liturgy with all the little hours including prime etc. all beginning at an unthinkably early hour of the morning
5.work centered on mindless repetitive but still usefull manual tasks.
6.strong penitential emphasis i.e. fasting, taking the discipline in the old way,
7.deeply traditional strain among brethren. (no goofy theology or anyone out on a limb, just good old fashioned doctrine and dogma) What I mean really is if it came to a discussion of theology noone would be spending their time trying to justify crazy personal opinions and how we can get around things through some dubious loophole, but would just accept things as they are.
8.has latin liturgy etc. in foundational documents or some bulletproof protection from change.
9.not in any way affiliated with a schismatic or radical group which strikes me as important to state given some of the people attracted to the things I mentioned.
so… anything come to mind? The closest things I have found are clear creek abbey and the carthusians. These are both good but I want to see if anybody knows of anything else. any other ideas? I am really just fishing here.

Short answer: yes. However, if you drop no. 8 then the Cistercians or Camaldolese could fit.

Watchmen of the Night / Veilleurs dans la nuit

gloria.tv/?media=423572&language=KiaLEJq2fBR

thanks. with no. 8 I was specifically referencing what happened to the Franciscans of the immaculate recently. I know there was more involved in all that than the liturgy, but I would on a personal level be very upset if I had taken lifelong vows only to have things change in a way that was not at all what I signed up for.

You could trade the time-machine for an airplane, and come to the Italian region of Umbria, where the Monks of Norcia live. Their monastery is in the birthplace of Sts. Benedict and Scolastica, was established by four so or Americans a few years ago (the abbot was a professor of liturgy - they now have nineteen monks), only say the Mass and liturgy in Latin, are very strict in observance of the Rule of Benedict, and, best of all, they brew beer. You’d have to learn Italian, since that is the language of the house (they are very international at this point), but there are plenty of anglophones there, so you wouldn’t be out on a limb.

No community is safe from change; the Pope is absolutely sovereign over the Church, and doesn’t have much of a method when it comes to acting against religious communities. I’ve stayed with the monks, and they are very holy and compassionate men of God. Here is their site in English:

osbnorcia.org/home

nightwolf -

Mostly correct, but actually 11 fully professed Monks. Was 10 until last weekend.

They are coy about the actual number, because they aren’t an independent community until they have 12. Til then, they have to answer in various ways to much more modern Benedictine communities.

And yeah, I’ve stayed there too…but I doubt I’ll be going back because I believe they have problems in their discernment process.

rasbat, you might look into the Benedictines at Clear Creek, Oklahoma, or the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming.

This is the Vocations link in English for the monks of Abbaye Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux in “Watchmen of the Night/Veilleurs dans la nuit”
barroux.org/en/devenir-moine/becoming-a-monk.html

You can listen live to the monks chanting the Divine Office in Latin at:
barroux.org/en/liturgie/listen-to-our-offices.html
Or rebroadcast at:
barrouxchant.com/#

Also:
*The monks of the Abbaye Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux stream their chanted Office each day as explained on their website. For those of us who do not live in European time zones, this project attempts to automatically record their hours and make them available for download.*You can also subscribe to the hours as a podcast or on iTunes.
These are automatically generated, so there may be some errors. If you find any

**( A student in California who listens to their broadcasts designed and implemented this for them . :slight_smile: )

The EF has never been a part of the Franciscan charism nor would it have been included in the FFI’s constitution. This is important because it’s these two things that a religious basically “signs up to” when they take their vows. that said, religious orders do need to adapt (within the limits of their charism) and sometimes even need to alter their constitutions. The more searching question you perhaps need to ask is why the need for Latin liturgy - I’m not sure there are any monastic orders which would have it in their constitution but, at any rate, that’s something which would probably be up to the abbot and community within an individual monastery.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.