Do I need to convalidate my marriage?

I’ve been struggling with whether or not to have my marriage convalidated by the church or not. There were a series of events that had to do with timing that led me to be married outside of the church, but at first I wanted to get my marriage convalidated.

I’m catholic, my husband is not. We were married by a Lutheran minister in 2008. The catholic church we attended after we were married kept loosing our information for the convalidation process and when we moved a year ago, we were still waiting for them to set us up with a mentor couple.

The priest at the church we attend now is very helpful and will move the process along quickly, but I’m stalling. I’m having second thoughts about the convalidation and I’m afraid to talk to my priest about it for fear he won’t marry us in the church if I decide that’s what I want because of my uncertainty.

Does a marriage have to be convalidated by the church? Will I die with mortal sin if I dont’ have my marriage convalidated?

The following links should help you better understand the Church’s teaching on convalidation. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Does the Catholic Church consider my marriage to be valid?
Is convalidation needed?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.