Do I need to go through RCIA?

Hello all,

I am very happy to have found this community!

I am wondering if I will need to go through RCIA to receive Confirmation. A little bit of background..

My mom was raised Catholic, my dad attended various Protestant churches growing up, they were married in the Catholic church. I was baptized Catholic, received my first communion, and went to Catholic school for part of my elementary education. My family moved, and for various reasons stopped attending Catholic Mass. We started going to a Methodist church for a while, and eventually stopped attending church altogether, other than on Christmas and Easter. Lately I have been having a strong feeling (which I can't really explain) that I need to return to the Catholic church. I am moving out for college in a few days. I read that there is a Catholic community on campus that offers RCIA. There is also a Catholic church right down the road from the school. Do I need to go through RCIA to be confirmed? Should I just start attending Mass at the church down the road? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be, since it has been nearly 10 years since I have been to Mass. I just know in my heart that this is something I have to do.

Any advice/guidance will be highly appreciated!

Many parishes offer classes for baptized Catholics who never received Confirmation. These classes are also for Catholics that have fallen away from the church and want to return. They aren't as in-depth as RCIA classes and they address different issues. In my parish, these classes are offered on Tuesday nights. On Wednesday, we have RCIA classes, and for those who are baptized, Confirmation is usually celebrated in 3months after beginning class. We have year round RCIA. I would suggest that you check with the local parishes in your area and see what is offered. You might be surprised at how easily you can come back to the church, and how joyfully you will be welcomed. I will keep you in my prayers!

It depends entirely on the parish. Probably you will be expected to go through RCIA, since confirmation-specific ed classes are normally reserved to teenagers.

[quote="Knaz, post:1, topic:336987"]
Hello all,

I am wondering if I will need to go through RCIA to receive Confirmation. A little bit of background..

My mom was raised Catholic, my dad attended various Protestant churches growing up, they were married in the Catholic church. I was baptized Catholic, received my first communion, and went to Catholic school for part of my elementary education. My family moved, and for various reasons stopped attending Catholic Mass. We started going to a Methodist church for a while, and eventually stopped attending church altogether, other than on Christmas and Easter. Lately I have been having a strong feeling (which I can't really explain) that I need to return to the Catholic church*. I am moving out for college in a few days. I read that there is a Catholic community on campus that offers RCIA*. There is also a Catholic church right down the road from the school. Do I need to go through RCIA to be confirmed? Should I just start attending Mass at the church down the road? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be, since it has been nearly 10 years since I have been to Mass. I just know in my heart that this is something I have to do.

[/quote]

Some campuses have the Cardinal Newman Society that ministers to the needs of Catholic students and those inquiring.

You can either check with your local parish, or you can check with the priest that works with the campus group..

In my experience, those needing confirmation that were separated for a long period of time were incorporated into our RCIA class as the rites for Confirmation were already scheduled into the process, so the Bishop could preside over it.

It may be different at your campus, so it's best to check with the priest there.

Welcome home!

I am wondering if I will need to go through RCIA to receive Confirmation. A little bit of background.

[/quote]

Since you were baptized as a Catholic you ARE a Catholic. There would be no reason for you to go through RCIA. You are an adult seeking confirmation.

However you might be expected to attend a lot of the same classes as the catechumens and candidates. Your parish might (incorrectly) refer to attending those classes as "going through RCIA".

Check with your Catholic Campus Ministry when you get to school. There are a lof of people in the same boat as far as needing to be confirmed. They may very well have classes specifically for confirmation candidates. You won't know until you ask.

The Newman Center or Catholic Campus Ministry place will be a good place to meet other Catholics your age and find ways to grow in the faith.

[quote="SMHW, post:5, topic:336987"]
Since you were baptized as a Catholic you ARE a Catholic. There would be no reason for you to go through RCIA. You are an adult seeking confirmation.

However you might be expected to attend **a lot of the same classes **as the catechumens and candidates. Your parish might (incorrectly) refer to attending those classes as "going through RCIA".

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Someone in authority at your particular parish or "college community" will assess your invidual situation and then you'll proceed according to their local practice. In my parish, for example, those with very little or no catechesis will receive all the instruction and some of the formation of those going through RCIA and then be confirmed at the Easter Vigil. Others receive some specific instruction in 2 to 12 sessions, again depending on their individual need, and will be confirmed when that is completed. This instruction and the administration of the sacrament are done individually or in a group, depending on the circumstances.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:6, topic:336987"]
Check with your Catholic Campus Ministry when you get to school. There are a lof of people in the same boat as far as needing to be confirmed. They may very well have classes specifically for confirmation candidates. You won't know until you ask.

The Newman Center or Catholic Campus Ministry place will be a good place to meet other Catholics your age and find ways to grow in the faith.

[/quote]

This. It's not exactly RCIA (though at a non-campus Church, the two groups are more likely to be mixed together), but a campus Church is likely to have confirmation classes. I was confirmed my freshman year of college through a campus ministry program - just tell the priest that you're a baptized unconfirmed Catholic, and he'll point you in the right direction.

Hello all,

My mom was raised Catholic, my dad attended various Protestant churches growing up, they were married in the Catholic church. I was baptized Catholic, received my first communion, and went to Catholic school for part of my elementary education. My family moved, and for various reasons stopped attending Catholic Mass. We started going to a Methodist church for a while, and eventually stopped attending church altogether, other than on Christmas and Easter. Lately I have been having a strong feeling (which I can't really explain) that I need to return to the Catholic church. I am moving out for college in a few days. I read that there is a Catholic community on campus that offers RCIA. There is also a Catholic church right down the road from the school. Do I need to go through RCIA to be confirmed? Should I just start attending Mass at the church down the road? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be, since it has been nearly 10 years since I have been to Mass. I just know in my heart that this is something I have to do.

[/quote]

Well guess what, you are a Catholic now !! You could start attending Mass and receive the Sacraments right now. However, you should go to confession first since, unless you are very special, you may have committed some serious sins that need to be forgiven. You can use the Catechism of the Catholic Church on the forgiveness of sins to get a start. vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P45.HTM

You need to get your own Catechism though and start getting caught up.
When you get to college contact the pastor at that Church and discuss your situation. He may recommend RCIA and maybe not. You do have a lot of catching up to do.

Linus2nd

Hello all,

[/quote]

Our diocese offers a two-fold approach. RCIA and/or Adult Confirmation classes. Some parishes have separate classes. Others, like mine, being a small parish combine the people into one group. Those who only need to be confirmed are confirmed by the Bishop in one of several Masses specifically for Confirmation of Adults. Those who are not baptized or baptized in another Christian faith are confirmed at the Easter Vigil. Meet with your pastor to see what is offered and which will be better for you.

[quote="sw85, post:3, topic:336987"]
It depends entirely on the parish. Probably you will be expected to go through RCIA, since confirmation-specific ed classes are normally reserved to teenagers.

[/quote]

^^^ This is the case at our parish. Although they wouldn't "go through RCIA", those in your position would normally be asked to join the RCIA group to learn about the Church and its teachings ... unless the pastor decides something different, or unless there is a different pathway to confirmation at the university you will be attending.

Hello all,

[/quote]

In the parish where I am employed, situations like yours regarding Confirmation would be addressed on a case-by-case basis after discussion with the priest and me. But the advise others have given is wise: if you were baptized Catholic, you ARE a Catholic. Go to Confession, make sure that you're in a state of Grace, and receive the Eucharist.

[quote="SMHW, post:5, topic:336987"]

However you might be expected to attend a lot of the same classes as the catechumens and candidates. Your parish might (incorrectly) refer to attending those classes as "going through RCIA".

[/quote]

This. Since you are on campus, it sounds as though you are a young adult and maybe you were not even a teen yet (or barely) when you stopped attending mass. Consider this: now that you are an adult, maybe it would be helpful to attend classes (no matter what they call it and if tthat is inappropriate or not) so that you can learn the faith as an adult...if the classes are done properly, they will give you a much deeper level than a children's faith formation class and you will have the opportunity to hear it through adult ears....Look at it as a blessing!

Best of luck!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.