Do I need to re-confess?

I was born and raised a Catholic, but I’ve only recently made a firm resolve to put my Catholic faith into practice in my daily life - I have my fair share of struggles, being a 20 year-old at a very liberal University here in Canada, but I really am trying my best.

Sometimes in my past, I would visit the Sacrament of Reconciliation and give what I thought to be an ‘adequate’ Confession; but thinking back, I feel like I made some rather serious omissions. While I don’t think I ever left any grave sins entirely out, I rarely/never mentioned the frequency that I performed my sins (even mortal) and I also feel like I downplayed some of their seriousness. This has been bothering me a lot lately…

And now for the main purpose of my post - should I mention this the next time I go to Confession? Would I be warranted in asking for a General Confession? I don’t feel like I’m doubting the power of Christ’s forgiveness through this wonderful Sacrament, I’m just concerned that I’ve never made a ‘good’ Confession.

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I suggest that you mention the above to the priest the next time you go to Confession. That should take care of it. If you remember a particular mortal sin that you didn’t confess, mention that as well. A general confession is a good thing, but you need to make an appointment for that. If you chose to do so, wait till after Christmas when priests aren’t so busy.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.