Do I pay for my father's and grandfather's sins? (Ex 34:7)

keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation." (Exodus 34:7)

So is this still valid even after Christ? I’m wondering where all the …(bad stuff)…or at least some of the particularly not so nice situations and difficulties come from in my life, so am wondering about this.I come from a non-Christian heritage, just fyi.

Let’s say you have a grandfather who was very sinfully lazy. His laziness effected the amount of income that he could bring in to help and support his family. He just didn’t really care about that very much at all and only did the bare minimum to get by. His sin (rampant laziness) caused his son to suffer the consequences, which in turn when his son had his child (that would be you) meant he did not have a whole lot of time to devote to you because he was always playing catch up to compensate for his father’s neglect of his family.

See where I’m going with this?

Sin hurts everyone. It effects everyone. Its not that God would hold you personally accountable for the sins of your ancestors, its that their sins will greatly effect you and how you see and view the world and what’s ok and what’s not.

Where Christ comes in with this is that when a person becomes a believer, and gives their life up for a new life in Christ, the effects of sin (“the stain of sin”, the consequences for those sins) might still be there, but the Holy Spirit will teach you and guide you in all things so as long as you are seeking God and seeking to serve God. (To be single hearted after the Lord.) God will send His grace to help and guide you. When a person believes upon The Lord, they change. They transform from and for the love of God.

Luke 12: 47“And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48**but the one who did not know it, **and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few.

Thankyou, Anne. That was a very insightful answer. I still can’t help but wonder if it might go still deeper, however, but perhaps it doesn’t. Anyways, I’m sure many of us can attest that the scars and wounds lie deep enough wherever exactly may be their source, if not our very own failings.

God Bless You for your helpful answer.

Thank you Jamal, May God bless you also! I hope others will chime in with replies as well. What I wrote was just what I was taught.

As far as being ‘deeper’… I would think that there is a lot that we don’t realize, that through our faith walk with Christ we will discover and learn to change. I do think its very deep. (And as you said, we also have our own failings as well to add into the mix!) The example I gave is I think a more obvious example for the sake of teaching. What a person believes entails how they will act. AND How others act influences others. (This is where the serious sin of giving scandal comes in too). I guess just how deep the ways, no one can really measure, only God. This, I think, is why He has told us not to judge. We all have such differentiating variables and only God can judge justly. Remember how Jesus says in Matt 21:31 - “Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.” He was talking to the chief priests and elders of the people.

I don’t say that to frighten anyone, but really it should be comforting to people knowing that God really is just and He is outside what we humans think. Isaiah 55:8-9 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. 9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts."

When Adam and Eve sinned, they not only hurt themselves, but all of their descendants: us. We became tainted with sin because of Adam and Eve, and we suffer the effects of sin because of Adam and Eve. In that regard, we did indeed pay for Adam and Eve’s sin.

Sins we commit personally affect us *and *everyone around us, perhaps for generations.

It’s hard to say if Christ somehow nullified God the Father’s wrath when he opened to us the treasures of mercy. I’m more inclined to believe that God the Father still desires to punish us gravely for our sins, including our children and infants, but because of Christ’s intercessions, he’s willing to wait until judgment day before he unleashes the full extent of his anger. :sad_yes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.