Do I say something?

We were invited (and already committed too) an Aunt’s house (on my husband’s side) for thanksgiving. It’s an 8 hour trip, one way, so it’s a lot of effort on our part to get there with our young family. I found out tonight that they also invited their former pastor’s gay son and his boyfriend to dinner also. Initially, I had no problem with this & said so. Thinking about it more, I’m not sure I am comfortable with this. We have an almost 6 year old son & im not sure I’d like him exposed to homosexuality this young. And since I don’t know these gentlemen at all, I don’t know their level of physical affection in front of people. This is my husband’s side of the family and I know if I express my opinion about this they’ll be upset and gossip about me; especially if I don’t have my husband’s 100% support. (Which i doubt I will…)
Is this something I need to voice? Am I wrong in my concern? I’m not sure what to do? I’m a firm, proud Catholic and I believe the church’s teachings.help!

It’s Thanksgiving family dinner. I doubt they or any other couple present will be making out over the turkey plate. I doubt your son will be paying much attention to them either if there are other kids his age there.

3 Likes

This is a difficult question. I have gay relatives, but I rarely ever see them, and when I do so them, sexual orientation isn’t mentioned.

I also don’t see a problem. Perhaps the two men will be affectionate; but there’s nothing wrong with men being affectionate within certain boundaries, anyway. I highly doubt they will French kiss or do anything else that would clearly indicate to a child that they’re a couple.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.