Do I still have any hope?

My name is Jina I am 21 and I have a list of problems most 30 year olds are facing, but I am strong, I can handle it. Let me start off by saying that I think that the Catholic religion is a beautiful religion and I believe in the parts I know. But I am not Catholic, my mother is a Jehovah’s Witness, my father is I don’t know, he just has no passion about religion. (Because of certain problems I am living at home with my parents, but they have said I can go to any church I want). I want to tell you that I was introduced to the Catholic Religion, by my first boyfriend. I believe he cared about me in general, he even helped me to sneak off to my first mass. I had to wait till my mom left town one weekend and just so happend that this church has mass on Saturday. So I told my dad, who really didn’t care, that we were going out on a date, and we went to mass. But I am loosing hope in ever being able to be a Catholic, for the simple reason, I am trying to get a divorce, my husband, who I am seperated from, tryied to kill me, twice, I forgave him once, and he did it again. And I was not born into a Catholic family, I am wondering, should I just drop the whole idea of ever being Catholic, or do I still have a chance?:crying:

Divorce does not prevent one from entering the Church as there is no sin that God cannot forgive. But in a case such as yours divorce is not even sinful - the Church does not expect you to live with or remain civilly bound to a husband who is trying to kill you!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) explains, “If civil divorce remains the only possible way of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of the children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense” (CCC 2383). (Keep in mind that divorce does not dissolve a valid sacramental marriage bond so remarriage may not be morally licit. If you wish to consider remarriage you must have your first marriage’s validity determined by the Church.)

For more information on entering the Church see How to Become a Catholic. Welcome to the Catholic Church!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.