Do I still need to go to Sunday morning mass if I went on Saturday night?

Hello,
Recently one of my parish priests told me that I dont have to go to mass on Sunday morning if I already went on Saturday in the evening. He said that “That would be your Holy obligation for the Lord’s day” something like that. Now Im really confused. His statement really baffled me:confused: Am I saying this correctly, or am I twisting words of Church teaching and law???

You have fulfilled your ‘obligation’ to go to Mass, however, as St. Padre Pio says, why do without it each day if it’s in your power to be present? I am fortunate enough to be able to attend daily Mass and do not consider it a chore, but a priveledge and a blessing. I once had a job where I would tentatively be unable to attend Sunday Mass, but spoke to my new boss and explained my Sunday ‘obligation’ and asked to be scheduled so I could attend either Saturday evening or Sunday AM, otherwise I would be unable to keep the job. He responded positively, giving me off time for both Saturday evening and Sunday AM, therefore I was still able to attend both Masses!

If you are in a bind, you can attend either Saturday evening (called Sunday vigil) or anytime on Sunday.

Thank you so much for responding. Your post was very informative. Though I do not plan on abandoning Our Lord for one moment when I have an open opportunity to attend mass your post helped me a lot. God bless you.

Until the WWII only the Sunday Morning Mass fuldilled the obligation.

During the war the Apostolic See allowed the Sunday afternoon Masses (for practical reasons there was a break of the bombing at late afternon) together with the 3 hours fasting requirement (before that it was from midnight)

In 1970 the Satuday afternon (after 4 o’clock) mass was rendered as anticipated Mass (almost always the same prayers as for the Sunday mass) ant if fulfills the Sunday obligation.

Same are the rules for the Holy days of obligation

And if you want the Church’s words and law on the matter, it is this:

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. …

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

tee

A Saturday evening Mass is the festive Mass of Sunday. There is no difference between the Sunday Mass on Sunday morning and the Sunday Mass on Saturday evening. So yes, if you attend Mass on Saturday evening, you are, without any hesitation, and without any qualifications, attending Sunday Mass and fulfilling your Sunday obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.