Do I take communion?

I’ve touched on this briefly in other postings, but it’s bothering me now. I am pursuing, as far as I am physically able, the Catholic faith. It’s very difficult as my husband, who I rely on for transport, sees the whole thing like I’m indulging in a rare hobby. He will humour me on occasion, but wants me to remain committed to our Anglican church.

He is very committed, in terms of service, as am I. But mentally and spiritually, I believe in the real presence, specifically in the Catholic church. I don’t believe my church has the real presence (well, they don’t either, it’s a very low church that uses bread rolls for ‘the body’). Here’s my specific dilemma - do I take communion in this church on Christmas Day? It’s just bread right? But what does God think of me taking a false form of communion? Am I over thinking this?

1400 Ecclesial communities derived from the Reformation and separated from the Catholic Church, "have not preserved the proper reality of the Eucharistic mystery in its fullness, especially because of the absence of the sacrament of Holy Orders."239 It is for this reason that, for the Catholic Church, Eucharistic **intercommunion with these communities is not possible. **However these ecclesial communities, "when they commemorate the Lord’s death and resurrection in the Holy Supper . . . profess that it signifies life in communion with Christ and await his coming in glory."240

I could not.

Peace

The answer is no. If you do not believe in the validity of Anglican Communion, you should not take it.

Good luck on your efforts to join the Catholic Church. I am sure that God understands your transportation difficulties.

You are not over thinking anything, but you are being very thoughtful.

If we went to dinner, and the server put a basket of rolls on the table, neither of us would think anything of eating one. It’s just bread, right?

If you REALLY thought it was “just bread” (or was even supposed to be “just bread”) you would not hesitate. You would not post your question here.

What is bothering you is that you sense that the bread is supposed to be something more than bread, but that “something” is not present in your own faith. You sense that it ought to be the Real Presence (the Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity, and Humanity of Our Lord, Jesus Christ) but it is really just bread. And you are conflicted, because if you acknowledge this ordinary bread/wine in any Sacramental context (as the Body/Blood), you are actually committing the sin of idolatry.

When Catholics are presented with Eucharist, we are each told “The Body (Blood) of Christ,” and we each respond “Amen.” The Sacrament is administered to each of us individually, by our own individual acceptance. I’m guessing that, in your protestant Church (unless it is of Anglican origin) that a tray of crackers and grape juice is passed around, in a similar way that the collection basket is passed around in a Catholic parish.

Thanks for the replies. You’re right when you point out why I hesitate, DavidFilmer, in that I believe that Jesus said This Is My Body, and I struggle because if it is His body at my church, we don’t treat him very carefully. The mass I occasionally get to is very reverent, which seems more fitting for such a grave and serious matter.

It was communion today and I’m afraid I was a bit of a sheep and went along to get the bread and wine. Felt so empty, but I kind of made a spiritual communion in my heart. Something does have to change, but I’m scared of making a fuss.

Could not have expressed it any better myself. :thumbsup:

Dear friend,
I would suggest that you make an Act of Spiritual Communion every chance you get.

You might turn your hubby on to the writings of John Henry Newman

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.