Do Irregularities to Ordination Apply to Converts?

Hello. :slight_smile: I am not yet fully Catholic, but I am discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I did something that would be classified as an irregularity to ordination. Since I am not Catholic yet, would this irregularity still apply after I convert?

Here it goes. I confess to you, my brethren, that I so longed for a Host to touch my tongue, and since I cannot receive the Eucharist, I have a deep spiritual void within me. I also have a weak will, and fell to temptation. I attempted to consecrate the Eucharist. I have repented for my most grievous offense, and promised to not do it again. I ask you, my brethren, to inform me and pray for me.

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper Virgini, beato Michaeli Archangelo, beato Ioanni Baptistæ, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres: quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, beatum Michaelem Archangelum, beatum Ioannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et vos, fratres, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum. :signofcross:

Merely ecclesial law binds Catholics, not non-Catholics.

This would be something to discuss with your vocations director.

It is a canonical impediment to ordination to be a new convert. I imagine it is common for recent converts to “feel” called to the priesthood or religious life. While exceptions are occasionally made, a certain amount of time (usually at least two years) must pass to be sure the person is mature enough in the Catholic Faith and that his sense of being called is more than the desire to grow in one’s newly-discovered faith.

“Playing Mass” isn’t an irregularity to ordination, although doing it as an adult may be a bit childish. If you thought you really could consecrate the Eucharist, it could be a problem but it’s most likely just a misunderstanding of the theology of the priesthood and the Eucharist. I wouldn’t worry about it, but you should spend at least a few years living the Catholic Faith as a layman before considering a vocation to the priesthood.

I don’t think you realize the seriousness of what I did. I wasn’t “playing Mass.” I knew that only a priest could consecrate the Eucharist, but I fell to temptation, and attempted to consecrate it anyway. I am well-grounded in the Faith, but chose to turn my back on God and Holy Mother Church.

Plus, I have been discerning the priesthood for the past year, so this isn’t a recent thing. I am still discerning, and will follow God’s path for me. :thumbsup:

Orare pro me, frater. :signofcross:

Many seminaries and religious orders will not accept new converts to the faith. There is usually a required “cooling off” period of approx 3 years following your reception into the Church. This time should be spent fully-engaging and learning about your “New Bride”, as well as continued discernment regarding a possible vocation.

My friend we are only human. That being said, yes what you are saying is canonical impediment to ordination, however the bishop can dispense someone from a canonical impediment. As long as you don’t hide it and bring it up with the vocations director and show the necessary disposition to seminary you should be good.

P.S.
Relax and read Hebrews 10:11-17. Keep calm and christian on. If God wants you to be a priest, you will be a priest. If you still feel you are too sinful, find a priest for spiritual direction.

I am discerning a vocation to the FSSP, so who would dispense me (if I managed to get the dispensation), and if I determined I really had a vocation?

The bishop ordaining you. I believe that is the diocese of Lincoln it would be the bishop of the Diocese of Lincoln. That being said, from what I read, canon 1041~6, the one you are referring to only applies to you if you are catholic. Bring it up with the vocations director in your first face to face meetingand go from there.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.