Do-it-yourself Adoration

My parish has a sort of do-it-yourself adoration. There is a chapel open most of the day in which the Blessed Sacrament is kept in a monstrance, secured by locked plexiglass and covered by wooden doors. The Sacrament is secure but visitors may open the wooden doors and expose the Sacrament at any time when the chapel is open. They are, of course, supposed to close the wooden doors when they leave if no one else is there. I know of at least one occasion when the Sacrament was accidentally left exposed with no one present for a few minutes. I also know that people sometimes engage in conversation while the Sacrament is exposed. I am urging the pastor to stop this do-it-yourself adoration and instead to offer regular times of adoration with at least two people signed up to be present at all times when the Eucharist is exposed. What I need to bolster the argument is official texts that make it clear that is it wrong for people to talk when the Sacrament is exposed and especially that it is seriously wrong for the exposed Sacrament to be left unattended even for a moment. Can anyone out there give me some relevant citations?

Wait a second, does that mean that a group could not say the rosary with the exposed Eucharist?

Because our Adoration is held on a day that I work, I’ve only ever been toward the end, when the priest is preparing to put the Host away. We do pray the Rosary while the Host is exposed, and we sing hymns during the ceremony where the priest puts the Host away (the hymns are actually sung while it’s still exposed, though).

I’ve never heard people talking unnecessarily, but then again, we rarely have more than a dozen people.

Miz

At the Catholic Church where a very good friend is a member there is an Adoration Chapel. My friend enjoys and is so grateful for its existence. She has told me she feels so blessed to spend time with Our Lord. I don’t have an answer to your questions, though.

I am still thinking about your question re: behavior in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament in the Adoration Chapel. Reverence and respect is required during the Consecration, as well as the rest of the Mass. I do not see why it would be any less while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed in an Adoration Chapel. To me that would mean no conversations or fooling around. In an article in Wikipedia I read that the “Blessed Sacrament must be constantly attended…” www.ask.com/wiki/Eucharistic_adoration
Also, there is an Adoration Chapel under construction adjacent to St. Stanislaus Kostka Church in Chicago, IL. The focus will be on 24-hour Eucharistic Adoration. The chapel is strictly meant for private meditation and contemplation. There will be no liturgies or vocal prayers by individuals or groups. I suggest you try looking up the website for this Church and pose your questions. I also suggest you find the website for the Catholic Encyclopedia. I tried that but bombed out. I’m not the most computer-savvy person, having been born in the middle of the last century. If I discover anything else, I’ll pass it along. Good luck.

Try the Catholic Encyclopedia:www.newadvent.org/cathen

Try www.sfxforlife.org/adoration.htm. Also read #1378 in Catechism of the Catholic Church where the text reads “silent adoration of the Lord present under the Eucharistic species.” However, the Catechism is referring to the tabernacle as it was first intended for the reservation of the Eucharist.

there are spoken prayers during benediction which is part of adoration but IDK if you are to remain silent at all other times

I don’t know if this helps, but it amazes me that a priest needs to be lectured on this. It’s just common sense. You don’t have impertinent, non-prayer chitter-chatter in front of the exposed Eucharist. You don’t talk in Mass. You don’t even talk when a priest is giving the sermon (ask your priest, wouldn’t you be offended if people did that when you were giving your homily?). What’s more important, the homily or the Eucharist? Simple logic dictates the proper way to act before Christ.

Maybe if you could communicate that to the priest (and in a less condescending way than how I just said it here), it could help?

And by the way, is this sort of adoration on-demand even licit? It’s the first I ever heard of it and it seems contrary to adoration custom. It makes it as if it’s there just when it’s convenient, making God into too much of a servant role. If the Church says doing this is okay, I’d participate in it because it does sound like a useful idea, but I don’t trust people to take adoration in this style in a good way. I mean it’s like turning the tabernacle into a television set, instead of feeling the permanence of God or being with Jesus at orderly and scheduled times. I wouldn’t even trust myself to treat the Eucharist properly in a case like that, it would take away from the significance of the event.

it is called perpetual adoration, not do it yourself, and it may not be done at all this way unless and until the pastor, or those to whom he delegates the responsibility, can assure the Blessed Sacrament will never be left unattended. If this is a regular happening the pastor first, then the bishop should be informed, and the hours will have to be adjusted to times when there are adorers committed to being there at specific times, no less than 2 for each hour, 4 is better.

You can pray before the exposed Eucharist, no problem with that.

Although personally I don’t find it makes sense to pray to Mary when you’re facing Jesus, but that’s a matter of perspective and if it works for you, good. I find it more relevant to do the Chaplet of Divine Mercy; you might wanna suggest that to your group.

You just shouldn’t talk to others, shouldn’t text on your phone, shouldn’t be watching videos on your iPod. Your attention should be to Christ before you. So, for that, you shouldn’t talk but you should pray.

I think you’re spot on about this and I find the notion of adoration-on-demand to be disturbing.

But, are there formal rubrics about this? I think the original poster would benefit from something textual to show the parish priest so it doesn’t just look like opinion. I can’t find any source myself. Maybe you know of one? I’m sure you’re updated on this better than I am.

Perpertual adoration started in France in the 1400s but was interrupted during the French Revolution. Practice did resume. The practice is licit as far as I know.

Yeah, we’re not debating on whether or not Perpetual Adoration is licit. We find the “Do-it-yourself” adoration that the original poster mentioned to be odd, where you open a wooden door to see the Eucharist whenever you want.

there is no such thing as “adoration on demand”. Perpetual adoration chapels have been set up to compensate for the fact that while churches used to be open round the clock or at least all day, now our society is such that they must remained locked most of the time. Poster’s diocese likely has the rules for that diocese posted on its website or readily available. Why has he not addressed his concerns directly to the priest, which is his first duty in any case?

Obviously, that’s why the original poster put up that post. Tau wants a text source to show the priest. If she just goes up to the priest asking about this, he might consider it to be a nuisance and just her opinion, rather than giving her concerns much seriousness. And, sadly, that’s how a lot of priests think. So I think Tau is doing the right thing by trying to find a good source to go by.

But, puzzleannie also has a point. Tau, if you can’t find any documents about this that pertain to the Church universally, try checking with your Diocese. Sorry, we really couldn’t be of much help in finding a source for you.

Tau;

First of all, it is good that you have such love and concern for our Lord in his adoration state and all states for that matter,

The church down the road from me has 24/7 adoration in which the Lord is present in the monstrance sitting on a round table. And yes, there have been times that he has been left on his own or people have gone in there and started talking as if at home.

I would find out first, who is in charge of the chapel and go to that person and alert them. They may not be aware of what is happening. This way they can get on the case and correct it.

If that person does not respond or if there isn’t anyone really in charge, here would be a wonderful opportunity for you to do something for the Lord; you could go to the priest and volunteer to take charge of the chapel!
This means you would make sure all the hours were manned up and be ready to fill in for folks. You would make sure that everyone understands correct behavior in the chapel and so forth.
Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.