Do jesus retain the title as son of man when he went up to heaven?

this is the question of INC to us on one of the Pinoy forum…
we believed that Jesus is God too right? they asked as if Jesus is still the son of man when he went up into heaven…

I’m not sure exactly what you’re trying to get at with this question (or what INC stands for or what the Pinoy forum is, for that matter). But I will do my best! :slight_smile:

Yes, Catholics believe that Jesus is God and man. He is fully human and fully divine. His ascending into heaven does not change that fact.

The title “Son of Man” is a messianic title that alludes to Daniel 7:13-14:

I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. And to him was given dominion and glory and kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

Jesus often refers to Himself as the “Son of Man”, which alludes to the fact that He is the Messiah. Why would this change after his Ascension into heaven?

Also see John 3:13:

No one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the Son of man.

Does this answer your question?

INC stands for Iglesia ni Cristo, a church founded in the Philippines (hence “Pinoy”, the slang for Filipino, which should be as derogatory to Filipinos as “Yankee” is to most Americans, but most of us actually like to be called as such…but I’m rambling, sorry). They are nontrinitarian…they don’t believe that Jesus Christ is God the Son but actually the son of God, a special type of man, and they think the Holy Spirit is one of the seven spirits mentioned in Revelation 1:4, and God the Father is the one and only God.

Anyways, to contribute, how about this:

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; …When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand upon me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one;** I died, and behold I am alive for evermore**, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.”

Revelations 1:12-13, 17-18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.