Do Jewish people have a one way ticket to heaven

I was praying with some people, one person prayed for a Jewish man who had just died. In this prayer he asked for the covenant of Jacob to fall on the deceased.

In the bible are verses that refer to God as blinding some of the Jewish people, we know that God is All Loving, and therefor if God blinds someone there must be a reason for it.

Lets say a person became so zealous for Gods that they were Killed while standing on a street corner preaching, Perhaps if that person was blinded from God, and would not have been there and not have died, that person could have been the one who discovered a way to stop Cancer or something else that would have helped in the long run to build up the body of Christ here on earth.

Does this covenant offer a One way ticket no madder how a Jewish person lives their life!

Your title said “One Way Ticket To Heaven”

Is There a Two-Way Ticket? Can a soul in heaven be kicked out? I don’t think so! :tsktsk:

As for Israel’s purpose (i.e. why the Jews rejected Jesus and such), Paul describes it in Romans.

[quote=johnca]Does this covenant offer a One way ticket no madder how a Jewish person lives their life!
[/quote]

I don’t think so. The Old Covenant required Jews to live by the Law of Moses. Jesus told parables about Jews being in torment in Hades.

Also, keep in mind that the Old Covenant was not salvific. It did not take anyone to heaven, but merely foreshadowed the New.

Modern-day Judaism is a false religion, not the true successor to Biblical Judaism.

Jews have an obligation to seek the true religion, and to follow their well-informed consciences, just like pagans, Muslims, and every other Christian.

I’m sure there is a sense in which even modern apostate Jews are special in the eyes of God, biologically descended as they are from the Patriarchs. But if this is so, then their need to convert to the true religion is even greater, if anything. (To whom much is given, much is to be expected).

As others have said, the Covenant of Israel is not Salvific, and never stated that is was. Jews ARE held in a special place, however, and likely given many graces when they uphold their very real Covenant with God, Salvation and Eternal Life are simply not those graces. All people are saved through Christ’s Sacrifice, so Jews who are saved are saved by the New Covenant, and not the Covenant Of Israel.

GHOSTY,

I ask this honest question because I don’t know the answer.

Is it your contention that modern-day Jews are supposed to be living by the old covenant? Are they to be living as Jews did 100 years before Christ?

For those Jews who have not accepted the New Covenant, I believe it’s absolutely imperitive that they follow the “Old Covenant” because that Covenant never went away. Jews can abandon the ancient Covenant if they wish, but they do so at their own peril. I don’t believe that the New Covenant is really a different Covenant, but a renewed and expanded version of the Old. I believe God holds people accountable for what they know, or should know, and if Jews abandon the Old Covenant without embracing the New, they are literally abandoning God.

I don’t believe that Christian Jews are bound in the same way to the Old Covenant, but only because the New is the Old expanded. They are bound by the letter of the New, but they are welcome to uphold the Old letter, and likely receive much grace for doing so, IMO.

I stress that this is only my opinion.

[quote=Ghosty]For those Jews who have not accepted the New Covenant, I believe it’s absolutely imperitive that they follow the “Old Covenant” because that Covenant never went away. Jews can abandon the ancient Covenant if they wish, but they do so at their own peril. I don’t believe that the New Covenant is really a different Covenant, but a renewed and expanded version of the Old. I believe God holds people accountable for what they know, or should know, and if Jews abandon the Old Covenant without embracing the New, they are literally abandoning God.

I don’t believe that Christian Jews are bound in the same way to the Old Covenant, but only because the New is the Old expanded.

*Thanks Ghosty. Now I am confused. I know what the “OLD” Jewish covenant was/is. But you just said there was a “New” Jewish Covenant. Did some Jewish Prophet appear about the time Jesus Christ was crucified? Josephus, the Jewish Historian does not write of any Jewish Prophet after Jesus was here. Where did this New Jewish Covenant come from.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to be a Jew is to be a member of a religion called Judism. Jewishness is religiosity. So if a Methodist becomes a Catholic, he is no longer a Methodist - he is Catholic. Therefore’; if a Jew becomes a Catholic than he is no longer a Jew, he is a Catholic. Christian Jew is an oxymoron is it not? Sorry if I didn’t understand.
;
[/quote]

Salvation came throught eh nation of Israel. Now there is no Jew or Gentile, slave or free…we are one in Christ. But if you are relying on the law to be made right with God, your never gonna get past that Rock in the middle of the road to heaven. That Rock is Christ. If anyone could be made rigth with God by the law, Christ didnt have to die.The law is to show us that we are guilty. God wants to save us by His grace and love and mercy. to Him belongs all glory and honor and strength and praise. See? If you have questions concerning this read Romans and Hebrews, and the rest of the bible. Its all good.
Amen
Your in Christ
~Matt

The New Covenant in question is the Church (the original term for the New Testament was the New Covenant). I refer to Judaism first as a people, and second as a religion. It’s not correct to put Judaism on the level of purely a faith, because the Jewish people are also the descendants of Abraham; it’s a lineage as well as a religion. When I say Jewish Christians, I’m refering to Christians of Jewish lineage, i.e. descent from Abraham and the Tribes of Israel, who were bound by virtue of their birth to the Old Covenant.

Good job Ghosty, thanks. So now I want to say I am a Catholic Scot from Texas. I am Catholic and most of my ancestors were Scotish. My neighbor is a Catholic Mexican-American. Since you said Christian Jews

Just Joking!

Hell, for much of history Catholics have gone by ethnic origin, even going so far as to attend seperate parishes in the same neighborhoods. This is largely how different Rites were established as well, and prior to the Latinization of the Church, many, if not most, European countries and language groups had their own Rites.

I still often say my father’s side is Irish Catholic, despite the fact that they never attended an Irish ethnic Parish. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.