Do Jews believe in a literal 6 days of creation and that the Earth is 6000 years old?

Specifically orthodox Jews.

How do they interpret Genesis relative the 6 days of creation and the age of the Earth?

Some do, some don’t.

How do they interpret Genesis relative the 6 days of creation and the age of the Earth?

You’d find much the same sorts of arguments as you’d find amongst Christians.

I think a relatively small percentage of Orthodox Jews believe in a literal six-day creation and are young-earth creationists. Some also believe the Messiah will come no later than the year 6,000, based on their understanding that every thousand years represents one day of creation. But those who state this are a minority.

Other pearls of wisdom and insight you care to share?

Some do, some don’t.

You’d find much the same sorts of arguments as you’d find amongst Christians.

Both informative and insightful. Thanks for sharing.

My ex is Jewish, no it doesn’t. There is a saying in the Jewish community about asking what they believe, “Two Jews, Three opinions.”

At least. :wink:

:slight_smile: What about you, what do you believe?

Oh, I’m on the billions of years side, Sam.

In Judaism a new day begins after the setting of the Sun and the appearance of 3 stars visible to the eye. The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar. So my question to you is this: As the Sun and the Moon were only created on the fourth “day”, how long is each “day” and what is the basis for your conclusion?

This article is the most convenience one I’ve read regarding the creation days:
thebibleandscience.webs.com/articles/creationdays.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.