Do Jews, Christians and Muslims All Pray to the Same God?

Do Jews, Christians and Muslims All Pray to the Same God?

I believe most assuredly that Muslims, Christians and Jews are
worshiping the same God: the God of Abraham. As an extension of
culture, religion encompasses traditions and customs. These
differences in how we worship appear to be a focal point, rather than
the sameness among the religions.

All three major religions involve fasting of some sort, charity to
others, deliberate prayer and the reverence of the one true God. Each
message is the same, each message to each “people” coming through a
different messenger. Insha’ Allah, we will one day focus on the
similarities and not the differences.

– Jade Jordan, Columbia

The essence of Christian belief is that Jesus is the son of God, but
there is more to it than that. Most Christian belief is based on the
notion that there are three separate, co-equal persons making up the
Godhead (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), but that there are not three
Gods but one.

This is the God that Christians pray to. Jews and Muslims do not
accept Jesus as the son of God and an integral and co-equal part of a
Trinitarian Godhead. By definition, then, the God of “Christ”-ians is
not the same as the “God” prayed to by Jews and Muslims.

– Gordon Nelson, Bowie

As a Christian evangelist-pastor who was formerly a minister in the
Nation of Islam, I have wrestled with this very question for many
years as I, too, have pondered another question: “Were the black
Christian people who were being lynched praying to the same God which
their white Christian attackers were invoking as they carried out
their murderous activity?”

The sad but true fact is that so many different people have so many
diverse thoughts and beliefs about God that we have developed a “to
each his or her own” theological/philosophical understanding. And in
the final analysis, it may be that neither so-called Christians and
Jews nor Muslims are praying to the true and living God because so
much of what we call religion may actually be social, cultural and/or
political programming.

– Godfrey R. Patterson, Silver Spring

Most dictionaries state the following:

Yahwe: (n) a name for the Old Testament God.

Je·ho·vah: (n) God, especially in Christian translations of the
Old
Testament.

Al·lah: (n) God, especially in Islam.

So let’s see . . . God, God, and yes, God. A trifecta! The three
largest creeds on earth all rely on “God” as the ultimate source for
justice, righteousness and compassion. Yet, we as "God’s followers"
rarely extend these qualities to our peers. I believe these faiths do
share the same God. It is our duty as God’s followers to become
consistent in extending true brotherhood/sisterhood amongst all of
God’s creation.

– Aamir M. Nooruddin, Silver Spring

There is only one Lord, one Faith, and one Baptism. There is only one
name given unto men under which mankind can be saved, and two of
these religions do not recognize Him as being God. So therefore, they
are not praying to Him, and His name is none other than Jesus.

– Monique Morsell, Sunderland

I believe there are many names for one God who is a supreme and
loving deity. Our one God does not advocate hatred, prejudice or
violence, but wishes that we bond to work for common benevolence such
as peace on Earth and love for our fellow mortals. When we die, the
hereafter will not be segregated by race or religion, but by past
deeds both evil and good.

– Patrice K. Jones-Caraway, Adelphi

"Psalm 96:5"
For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils: but the Lord made the heavens.”

"1 Chronicles 16:26"
For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

It’s funny you quote Psalms, which is in the Hebrew Bible for the Jews. Jesus was a Jew, to denounce that, you denounce him. He followed Jewish traditions, we should be respectful and mindful of that. Many of the traditions we follow as Catholic were inspired by the Roman pagan community, so if anyone is the gentile described we are.

Yet, at the same time, I believe that Jesus shaped a new way, a path where Gentiles such as myself can worship him. Despite the fact that my cultural traditions, let me eat shellfish, or my day of rest is on Sunday.

I don’t like that disconnection from religions, its like no one actually read the Bible, the Torah, or the Koran, they just make conjectures based on their racism.

How is that :confused:, if I quote “Psalms 96:5” then it means denounce for Jesus?.

When in doubt - go back to the source - the Bible.
The Christian Bible is quite clear that the christian "god "is the god of Abraham as referred to in the Old Testament.
Both Jews and Christians accept the teachings of the old testament.
In doing so, both acknowlege the god of Abraham as accepted from the Old Testament.
Muslims accept that they worship the god of Abraham also.
To be culturally technical - christianity is a jewish sect!
An offshoot created by practising Jews who accepted the god of Abraham, however, with a new path to God - through Jesus.
Many Christians do not take the time to read the Koran, but do you realise that Jesus and Mary are named in the Koran?
Muslims actually respect and revere Jesus as a prophet and Mary as a very holy woman.
So Muslims even interpret Jesus as a prophets offerring a message about their "god "!
However, Muslims do not believe Jesus is ’ the son of god '.
So Christians & Muslims both have Jesus on record as offerring messages about God.
Muslims as a prophet.
Christians as the Son of God.
If Jesus as a Jew grew up knowing the Law of Moses and and the God of Abraham and there is an accounting of him recorded by both Christians and Muslims independently - the only god he could have been talking about is the God of Abraham.
Jesus as the Son of God however, offers an alternate ( Christian ) path to God, his father in heaven - through his teachings of the New Testament.
3 paths but the same destination. :slight_smile:
Which tends to make the strife in the world today appear all the more futile. :frowning:

That’s Christianity, Islam and Hinduism, but surely not Judaism with a mere 15 Mio. followers.
Oh, and btw, there are more non-religious people on this Earth than Hindus.

It is very nice that the Muslims acknowledge Mary and Christ, but do not think this means they worship the same God. The fact is, there is only one way to God, and that is through Christ. Christ gave us, as our ark of salvation, His Church. This was not a “wheel choice”/ In other words, the Church is not one of many paths to God. It is the only path. If they do not acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah, they are worshiping a false god.

According to the CC, Yes.

According to most Protestants I know, No.

I’ve heard Jews say that we don’t.

I’ve never heard a Muslim say that we don’t.

I’ve heard Catholics, though, claim that Muslims worship a different God. I guess they didn’t check their CCC. :slight_smile:

There you are! One of the Catholics who says that Muslims don’t worship the same god. The CCC says otherwise. :slight_smile:

Jews don’t acknowledge Jesus as Messiah. Do you beleive that they worship a false god?

Modernist clap-trap…

Not the traditional catechisms. Why are we so afraid of the truth? Only Christ is the path to the true God. He was very specific on this point.

Check the CCC. :thumbsup:

Are you saying that you disagree with the CC on this point?

Are you saying that the Jews are worshiping a false god?

Yes to both

[332

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

**842 The Church’s bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:

All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. ****843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as “a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.”**](“http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm”)
Straight from the horse’s mouth. I don’t see a need to discredit other (ancient) religions if they pose no immediate threat - especially when non-Christian adherents reciprocate this universal message. It would be terribly unfair and in fact, quite insensitive to their beliefs. Our responsibilities include love and charity (understanding and tolerance). We are not perfect, but we should strive to be as perfect as Him. I wouldn’t want to be part of a religion that preaches intolerance. Think outside the box sometimes.

So how are the Jews worshipping a false god in your opinion? Your Bible includes the God of the OT, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgv
Modernist clap-trap…

Quote:
841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day."330

842 The Church’s bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:

All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city. . .331

843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

What would be interesting to see what islams ruling is on this.

Would it read something like:…Islam/Mosque relationship with the Christians and what does it say if such document existed?

You can read it here: [

FOR DIALOGUE AMONG THE MONOTHEISTIC RELIGIONS

(CAIRO, EGYPT) - ROME, 24-25 FEBRUARY 2009
FINAL DECLARATION OF ANNUAL MEETING OF THE JOINT COMMITTEE FOR DIALOGUE OF THE PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR INTERRELIGIOUS DIALOGUE (VATICAN) AND THE PERMANENT COMMITTEE OF AL-AZHAR](“http://hiwar-net.usj.edu.lb/chroniques70.htm”)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

When we worship a god we worship a Spirit.
And this spirit made a revelation, spoke something to man.

To the Jewish people the Lord walked with them and inspired the Old Testament (Law, prophets and psalms) with His Holy Spirit. He was the author and redeemer of Israel.
We do not see the rabbinical tradition as valid for us Christians today because the salvation history has stepped into a new chapter when Jesus came.

To the Jews and all the world God send His Word made Flesh, Jesus Christ. Jesus as person and revelation was the fulfilment of the times of the law and prophets that God had used until then to guide His people into the fullness of time.
Jesus says that John the Baptist marks the end of the time of prophets. The Holy Spirit inspires the New Testament as a memory of Christ and His teaching. And the Holy Spirit comes to make it alive in our hearts. The New Covenant which was foretold, making a time of reconsiliation and a law written on our hearts.

Then in 600s a man claims prophethood.
He is contacted by a spirit who says Jesus was not crucified and not Lord, that the people who believe that are cursed and will end up in hell, etc etc. The spirit-author of the Koran must therefore be defined as a different person than the Trinitarian God, by any theological and logical method of reasoning.
Muslims read the Koran, believe that the spirit who authored it is the One True God and they worship the spirit of the Koran directly and consciously in the identity he therein revealed. The Koran furthermore urges persecution of Christians and Jews that wont become Muslims. In other words the Koran could be said to persecute Christ Himself.

Therefore. Jews and Christians worship the True God whereas the spirit which is worshipped and praised in Islam is another person, a spirit of confusion.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.