Do Jews worship the Devil?

A devout Catholic friend at work said that because the Jewish authorities and for the most part all Jews reject Jesus as the Christ they worship a different god. Jesus told the Jews of his day when you reject me “you are sons of your father the devil”. He said now that Jesus tells the world that He is God if you don’t believe in Him you worship another god. He also said Protestants also worship another god because Jesus said “He is the Bread of Life eat this bread and you will have life in you”, and this is another way He has told us who He is and if you don’t believe you worship another god.

Jeffrey

Grace & Peace!

I’m a high church Anglican, who is exploring becoming Roman Catholic, so your friend would probably view what I say as highly suspect…but I’ll say it anyway.

I’ve noticed these days a dearth of good catechesis. And your friend’s points seem to underscore this notion–that somehow or another, a lot of silly notions have either been planted or have failed to be uprooted in the catechizing of believers these days. Not to say that my own catechesis was flawless (I’m sure there are many here who will take me to task for what I’m to write), but your friend, I think, is suffering under some delusions that at worst border on radical anti-semitism, and at best represent simple intolerance.

Regarding Jews and the devil, I would hope that Pope John Paul II’s love of the Jewish people and efforts at dialogue would convince your friend that, unless the late Pope wanted to hold an ecumenical dialogue devil-worshippers, the Jews worship God the Father of or Our Lord. That they do not recognize Christ as the Messiah, the Logos Made Flesh does not mean that God’s promises for them are moot or are null and void. It means they are not Christians. Is the God of the Torah not the God of the apostles? Is the God of Abraham not the God of Paul? If the Jews worship a false god, then the authority of the Old Testament is overthrown–and this is Marcion’s heresys and the heresy of countless pseudo-gnostics.

Christians do not have a monopoly on God, you know–and that is not to relativize the truth. The Truth is One and it is Christ who says “I am the Truth.” Insofar as there is truth in any religion, the people who adhere to that religion correspondingly know Christ. I refer here (very obliquely) to Origen’s letter to St. Gregory Thaumaturgos regarding pagan philosophy and the gold taken out of Egypt by the Hebrew peoples.

Re: Protestants worshipping a different god because of a differing eucharistic theology, I do not think your friend is right here either. As an Anglican, actually, I believe in the real presence in the Sacrament. I adore it. I love it. That Christ truly and graciously comes to us in this Feast is such an overwhelming Mystery. Now, your friend my suggest that because I’m Anglican, I cannot properly receive the true presence because Anglican orders are not recognized by Rome. I would counter that they are recognized by the Eastern churches, and would ask him to respond to the issues raised in the letter of the Archbishops of England to Pope Leo XIII on this matter. But this would be just a great vicious circle.

Your friend’s limiting of Christ’s words only to a Eucharistic reference does not do complete justice to the text. Christ is the Life of the world. He is the Bread of Life–i.e. that which sustains the world. Is this applicable to the Eucharist? Of course. But it also speaks more generally of Christ’s relationship to the world and to all life. He is also conflating one or more statements into the statement you quote.

There is so much more to write on this topic, but I really have to run!

–Mark

Deo Gratias!

[quote=GerardPaul]A devout Catholic friend at work said that because the Jewish authorities and for the most part all Jews reject Jesus as the Christ they worship a different god. Jesus told the Jews of his day when you reject me “you are sons of your father the devil”. He said now that Jesus tells the world that He is God if you don’t believe in Him you worship another god. He also said Protestants also worship another god because Jesus said “He is the Bread of Life eat this bread and you will have life in you”, and this is another way He has told us who He is and if you don’t believe you worship another god.

Jeffrey
[/quote]

Short answer: Absolutely not.

Longer answer: The Jews worship the same God that we do, and have been doing it longer than we have. Yes, they’re a little off on the Trinity and the divinity of Christ, but there is only one God who made the heavens and the earth, and they worship Him.

Jesus called the religious officials of His day “sons of the devil” because they were. This most emphatically did NOT extend to the rest of the Jews, either then or now.

And finally, no, Protestants do NOT worship another God just because they don’t receive the Body of Christ. They worship the one true God as best as they can.

• Liberian

[quote=GerardPaul]A devout Catholic friend at work said that because the Jewish authorities and for the most part all Jews reject Jesus as the Christ they worship a different god. Jesus told the Jews of his day when you reject me “you are sons of your father the devil”. He said now that Jesus tells the world that He is God if you don’t believe in Him you worship another god. He also said Protestants also worship another god because Jesus said “He is the Bread of Life eat this bread and you will have life in you”, and this is another way He has told us who He is and if you don’t believe you worship another god.

Jeffrey
[/quote]

Jews don’t worship the devil rather they have rejected the word of Christ because it didn’t look right for someone to just claim they are God’s Son. However they forgot to look at their scriptures and realize that all the prophesies came down to this one man. We got the whole old testament from them so they are really our ancestors. We are worshiping the same God but we catholics have more of an understanding of God. We know that Christ is the son of God and have accepted his word which fulfilled all the old testament laws and prophesies, therefore our religion isn’t as different as theirs. The only problem though is that they are still waiting unfortunely for a messiah, we just need to pray for them…
Podo :blessyou:

[quote=Liberian]Short answer: Absolutely not.

Longer answer: The Jews worship the same God that we do, and have been doing it longer than we have. Yes, they’re a little off on the Trinity and the divinity of Christ, but there is only one God who made the heavens and the earth, and they worship Him.

Jesus called the religious officials of His day “sons of the devil” because they were. This most emphatically did NOT extend to the rest of the Jews, either then or now.

And finally, no, Protestants do NOT worship another God just because they don’t receive the Body of Christ. They worship the one true God as best as they can.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

well said Liberian… We all worship the same God , but unfortunely not as one holy and apostolic church.
Podo :blessyou:

Point out to him that Jesus, Mary, and all the Apostles were Jewish.

[/quote]

I have heard this type of stuff often from “Catholics” of a certain persuasion of which I will not get into here.

They are wrong and I, among others, have pointed it out to them.

PF

The Catholic Church has never taught that Jews worship the devil. Is he unfamiliar with the Old Testament in our Bible? We have always been taught that we are worshipping the same God but Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism. I wonder how someone could be Catholic and be unaware of this?

[quote=cestusdei]Point out to him that Jesus, Mary, and all the Apostles were Jewish.
[/quote]

Exactly - I don’t understand this. I’ve never thought of Jewish people as devil worshipers.

I forgot to add that you could remind your friend that Pope John Paul II referred to Jews as our “older brothers”.

Hi all!

Have I, or any Jew I have ever known, ever worshipped “the Devil”?

Um, hold on a second here…ponderponderponder

No. :slight_smile:

Be well!

ssv :wave:

[quote=stillsmallvoice]Hi all!

Have I, or any Jew I have ever known, ever worshipped “the Devil”?

Um, hold on a second here…ponderponderponder

No. :slight_smile:

Be well!

ssv :wave:
[/quote]

:rotfl: I hope that you didn’t have to ponder the question long Stillsmallvoice.:slight_smile:

It boggles my mind that someone could believe that Jews worship the devil.I wouldn’t even know how to respond.:mad: I suppose that this needs more then an emphatic no.

God does not change or break his promises, correct? Wouldn’t God have to break several promises in order to just abandon the Jewish people? If the Jewish people don’t have assurance that God will keep his convenant with them, then how much assurance do we Christians actually have? Even the thought is scary.

I can list at least twelve people that were Jews and didn’t worship Satan. Let’s see…Peter, John, James, Andrew…

[quote=Subrosa]I can list at least twelve people that were Jews and didn’t worship Satan. Let’s see…Peter, John, James, Andrew…
[/quote]

Well Jesus, Mary and Joseph didn’t either…

Jeffrey
[/quote]

After all salvation is from the Jews John 4:22

Yes the Jews worship the Devil. Anybody who is not a Christian is in reality worshipping the Devil because Christianity is the only True Religion around.

[quote=Louis Mazar]Yes the Jews worship the Devil. Anybody who is not a Christian is in reality worshipping the Devil because Christianity is the only True Religion around.
[/quote]

This has the minor inconvenience of making the co-religionists of Jesus satanolaters.

As He was “born of woman, born under the Law” - this makes his mother a devil-worshipper. And him.

But, let us assume that the devil-worship began only after the Ascension - how ? when ? where is the evidence ?

It must have been the devil’s temple that the Apostles went to after the Ascension. Why would they mix with devil-worshippers ? Why did St. Stephen call devil-worshippers “brethren” ? Why did St. Paul do so, in the late chapters of Acts? This idea makes him not simply a hypocrite, but a satanolater - which is far worse. Why should we read as sacred the letters of a man who is, according to this idea, a servant of satan ? A man who is “a Jew to the Jews”, as
he sought to be, is, according to this idea, conniving at devil-worship.

This reasoning undermines the New Testament, fosters the worst types of Judaeophobia, echoes the ugliest and most murderous of prejudices which in Europe at least we are still trying to slough off, contradicts Catholic teaching, demonises non-Christians…there is nothing to be said in its favour. “We have been here before” - and this idea has brought forth nothing but rotten fruit.

Not knowing Jesus Christ as fully as might be, is one thing: positive devil-worship, is something wholly different.

And in any case - do all Christians know Him as fully as they might ?

If not - why, conversely, cannot Jews know Him more fully than some Christians ? Why should God’s grace be overcome by a Jew’s - or anyone’s - ignorance of certain doctrines ? That implies that our defects are mightier than God’s grace, even against our intention. That is hardly an Almighty God that we are left with. If God is God at all, He is more than capable of granting life in its fullness even to those who do not know the words and formulas that Christians do. If they had to, in order to receive the grace of redemption, then Abram would never have left Ur.

Salvation does not arise from human knowledge of theological formulae, but from God’s grace. ##

My friend said that Church teaching befor Vatican II and John Paul II say otherwise.

Jeffrey

The Jews worship the very same God that Catholics worship.

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the fulfillment of the Law. Even though the high priest was wicked, he still properly fulfilled his role as high priest, in offering Jesus as the sacrifice for the sins of the human race. This incidently shows that what God wills will be carried out. It shows that the wicked man becomes God’s instrument. And it shows the power of the priest is the same, whether that priest is good or wicked.

Salvation comes from the Jews. A remnant of Jews will exist until the last day as a witness to the truth of the Old Testament. The Jews are a witness God’s promise to Abraham, that all the nations of the world would be blessed through Abraham.

[quote=GerardPaul]My friend said that Church teaching befor Vatican II and John Paul II say otherwise.

Jeffrey
[/quote]

Church teaching was certainly not much inclined to speak favourably of Judaism’s standing as a religion, true. Theologically,Judaism ceased (it was said) to be valid after the Passion - quite how long after, was not specified: the question is mentioned in pre-Conciliar textbooks of dogmatic theology.

And it is also true that the verse “the gods of the nations are demons” quoted by St. Paul, was not forgotten.

But, even if it is valid to regard the Jews as a people as “Christ-killers” (and the Church is now quite clear that it is not), this is still a long way from the position that the Jews are devil-worshippers. That, at least, was not Catholic teaching - though it may well have circulated as ideas do, and been supported by quotations from sermons.But that does not make it the teaching of the magisterium.

The problem with suggesting they worship the devil, is that it makes no sense of the history of Judaism: it treats all Jews everywhere - in Babylonia, Rome, Alexandria, and elsewhere - as morally responsible for an execution to which they could not have been parties. When did Jews in Babylonia (say) start being devil-worshippers ? Why would they want to be ? Why is there no evidence of so great a change in religion ? How can one worship the devil without knowing that one is doing so ?

The whole idea sounds rather like the sort of suggestion made by some Gnostics: that the True God, Who made the Demiurge, set the Demiurge to govern the material world: and that this Demiurge is the God of the Jews (who in some accounts is not simply inferior to the True God, but is actually evil) from whose control we must be saved in order to come to the knowledge of the True God. ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.