Do LDS baptize converts immediately?

Do LDS baptize converts immediately?

I’m wondering because some of my friends have left the Church to become lds and they seem to have been baptized overnight.

LDS missionaries certainly try to. They ask for a commitment to baptism early in the teaching process, well before they finish teaching all the official lessons. Even those lessons only cover the “milk” of LDS doctrine. Missionaries generally try to stay away from the “meat” as it tends to scare off investigators of the faith. It is not unheard of for people to be baptized a couple of weeks after starting lessons with the missionaries.

Thanks, I couldn’t wrap my head around how and why my friends “converted” so quickly.
Like they were already posting Nephi quotes on Facebook and now mormon.org is flooding my home page with rubbish. lol

Ugh. I hear you. I was born and raised Mormon so my Facebook feed is a constant stream of stuff from Mormon.org. Since this past weekend was General Conference, it has been almost unbearable with all the General Conference memes flooding my newsfeed.

I suggest checking out the essays that the LDS church has recently posted on their website addressing problematic history and doctrine. They are somewhat hidden on lds.org and can be difficult to find. The website mormonessays.com is a good place to find links to all the essays on lds.org. These essays can be a great way to discuss the problematic doctrines and history of the LDS church without the anti-Mormon excuse. Hopefully your friends will figure it out before they get dragged further in and end up married in the temple.

Yes, they’ll ask for a commitment to set a baptism date within the first few meetings, they used to have to give a set amount of discussions before baptizing people but now with the new program it is far more discretionary. I have a friend that was baptized within two weeks of meeting the missionaries (this is the new program). He knew next to nothing about the faith, just got swept up in it all and thought it was what he wanted. :shrug:

If I’m not mistaken the “Preach my Gospel” manual suggests getting a commitment to baptism in the the second lesson. I hate the commitment pattern, it always rubs me the wrong way. Even at 18 when pushed by LDS missionaries and still heavily trained in being polite and agreeable I would go all stubborn and flat out no, push me and that’s it you lose I will not ever agree to anything.

Yeah, that sounds about right. It’s all very high pressure.

Not quite sure how it is now, but when I was still LDS, the missionaries taught the discussions with a little ‘flip book’… How fast you go through it is up to you. But yes, they do push you into a corner to set a date for baptism.

Yeah the old discussions are dead on gone. You probably wouldn’t even recognize them more. Also now, “if the spirit prompts” they can skip what they feel they can. Basically the discussions are now more of an open meeting instead of a lesson with a Q&A afterwards.

The missionaries asked me to be baptized at our first meeting, and I was baptized two weeks later. But then, that was probably because I already knew a lot about LDS beliefs/was already reading the BoM, and specifically sought them out (through mormon.org).

LDS do not require you to start a class in October and wait until spring to baptized.

Rather, lessons on the LDS faith are costumed tailored to your schedule: move as you want to move, meet with missionaries/whomever individually, on the time table that works for you. If you want to be baptized next week you can. If you want to wait eight months, that’s cool.

Now, that being said there are plenty of LDS missionaries whom can be impatient and really push for the sooner baptism. I routinely remind these missionaries that you cannot rush the seed of faith to bloom.

They are impatient because making a conversion is a big plus to the missionary’s resume.

Wow. Nice dig on RCIA.

Each parish handles RCIA differently. The parish where I was baptized runs RCIA year round and generally holds baptisms for adults twice a year. The nice thing about being in a group of catechumens going through the process together was that I was able to develop friendships along the way. I was not alone on my journey. I had people I could talk to about good and bad experiences I was having. I was able to find people who have gone through similar struggles as I have and we are able to support each other. I have not seen very many LDS wards who were very good at welcoming and integrating new converts unless the convert already had some kind of relationship with ward members. At the Easter Vigil, we were able to celebrate together as we were welcomed into the communion of the faithful.

I will also add that in RCIA, we talked about the good, the bad and the ugly. We talked about history. We talked about controversial issues such as birth control and abortion.

There are many things that LDS missionaries will not discuss or bring up with investigators unless the investigator brings it up himself. When will the essays be added to the Preach My Gospel manual?

Hey, I learned more stuff about RCIA! My town just does RCIA Oct-Easter (small college town), which has caused me frustration, because I never have the time in Oct to check things out (annual work deadlines). I did not realize that these practiced varied from parish to parish. Thanks for the info iepuras and Steven :slight_smile:

I’ve actually send them used in missionary lessons in my area already :slight_smile:

RCIA is a process. It is where a non-Christian adult is taught the faith in its entirety. It is where any and all questions are answered. It is where a person begins their discipleship of Christ. Scripture study, breaking open the word, prayer and study of the faith is the class part. There is an interior part, of the person turning to Christ. Creating or building a prayer life and spiritual devotions. There is a fellowship aspect, where the person is entering a community, our parishes. It is a time of discernment, where the Catechumen is seeking the will of God and deciding if baptism is where God is calling them. There is no rush. The Rite of Acceptance incorporates the person into the Church in a special way, which supports them and prepares them to live a Christian life, that begins at baptism.

If our RCIA program accommodated everyone’s schedules, we’d be teaching every night. That just isn’t possible. There would need to be a lot more people working in the ministry. Which would be wonderful, but Catholics are too busy too.

No two parishes are the same. If the parish you have looked at does not have a convenient RCIA schedule, try another parish. Or talk to the RCIA director. He or she will generally work with you. In small parishes, it is not unheard of for someone to receive one on one instruction.

That parish is the only on in 60 miles. Perils of living in the middle of no where…

And wouldn’t a 1-on-1 defeat the class-bonding experience you were talking about earlier?

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has said that all US parishes should have a full year Catechumenate. I only point that out, because, small parishes tend to not have the resources (people) to create a year round RCIA. Some small town RCIA programs consist of one person.

One on one instruction for the month of Oct. could be a reasonable request, and then participate in the regular RCIA schedule the rest of the year.

In a small parish there may be only one person inquiring into the Catholic Church so there isn’t a group to go through RCIA with unfortunately. I came into the Church in a large suburban parish (6,000+ registered families). There were about 15 people who were baptized along with the same number who were already baptized but confirmed, so 30 total came into the Church at the Easter Vigil last year. They had a similar number enter the Church this past weekend. That doesn’t include the group that enters the Church at Christ the King, which is usually a smaller group but still usually about 10 people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.