Do LDS Prophets Really Talk To God?

I post this because it appears from other threads that Mormons on this site do not really know about their history and what their prophets have actually taught. This is posted to bash our LDS Brothers and Sisters.

Brigham Young said you must confess Joseph Smith as a prophet of God in order to be saved.
"…and he that confesseth not that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fullness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is Antichrist." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 9, p. 312).

Brigham Young said he had never given any counsel that was wrong.
“I am here to answer. I shall be on hand to answer when I am called upon, for all the counsel and for all the instruction that I have given to this people. If there is an Elder here, or any member of this Church, called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who can bring up the first idea, the first sentence that I have delivered to the people as counsel that is wrong, I really wish they would do it; but they cannot do it, for the simple reason that I have never given counsel that is wrong; this is the reason.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 16, page 161.)

(so Adam IS God! and God DID have sex with Mary…)

Brigham Young said you are damned if you deny polygamy.
“Now if any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 266). Also, “The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, page 269).

Brigham Young said you can’t get to the highest heaven without Joseph Smith’s consent.
"…no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, p. 289).

Brigham Young said that God the Father and Mary ‘do it.’
“When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, Page 218.) “The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood – was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 8, page 115). Note: the late Bruce McConkie who was a member of the First Council of the Seventy stated “There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events…” (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, page 742.)

Brigham Young said that Jesus was not begotten by the Holy Spirit
"I have given you a few leading items upon this subject, but a great deal more remains to be told. Now, remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 51).

Brigham Young taught that Adam was God.
“Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days! about whom holy men have written and spoken – He is our Father, and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later.” (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, page 50).

May 14, 1961 - Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith announces to stake conference in Honolulu:
"We will never get a man into space. This earth is man’s sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it."
Smith, the Twelve’s president and next in succession as LDS President, adds:
"The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen."
In May 1962, he privately instructs that this view be taught to “the boys and girls in the Seminary System.”

On 20 July 1969 U.S. Astronauts are first men to walk on moon. Six months later Joseph Fielding Smith becomes church president.

From Joseph Smith:

These are all from History of the Church, Vol. 6

“I combat the errors of the ages;…I solve mathemtatical problems of universities, with truth–diamond truth; and God is my right hand man.” [1843]

“God made Aaron to be the mouth piece for the children of Israel, and He will make me be a god to you in His stead.” [1844]

“I have more to boast of than ever any man had…I boast that no man ever did such a work as I.” [1844]

From Joseph Smith:

Joseph Smith boasted that he was greater than Jesus Christ!!

Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.

Really? Joseph did more than even Jesus?

LDS Brothers and Sisters…please think about where you are and where you are headed. We are here with open arms!

Point one finger: there are four pointing right back at you.

Gee, that sounds ominous. No factual debates, just threats? Interesting.

as to the threat title "Do LDS Prophets Really Talk To God?"

The obvious and irrefutable answer is no. Not even close.

IOW:

“I know you are, but what am I?”

• Pee Wee Herman

Numbers 12:6, 1 Samuel 9:9, and Amos 3:7 from the Old Testament confirms to me that God speaks to prophets.

Luke 1:70 in the New Testament is another scripture to cite.

No mention of the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith from me ---- just the Bible itself.

In times past, God spoke to the fathers in sundry and diverse ways through the prophets. But in these latter days, he has spoken to us through his Son, whom he has made heir to all things, and through whom he created the worlds.

• Hebrews 1:1-2

The question posed by the OP was “Do LDS prophets really talk to God?”

LDS prophets have nothing to do with the bible.

I beg to differ --- some here may not accept them as prophets -- it is unfortunate that what the "LDS prophets" have to say is not acceptable to them, nonetheless they are prophets.

Of course, for some, "LDS prophets" are not prophets in their eyes.

For me, the Holy Ghost has testified such to me, regardless what if some may define as a prophet, accept according to their definition of a prophet.

[quote="CourtAdvocate, post:9, topic:270908"]
I beg to differ --- some here may not accept them as prophets -- it is unfortunate that what the "LDS prophets" have to say is not acceptable to them, nonetheless they are prophets.

For me, the Holy Ghost has testified such to me, regardless what if some may define as a prophet, accept according to their definition of a prophet.

[/quote]

No one of us can see inside your heart, but I do know that LDS are taught all their lives to seek this burning of the bosom. They constantly hear over and over and over again from the time they first start Sunday school that theirs is the true church and that their prophet is a true prophet. It is repeated after every talk they hear in church. These tenets are constantly emphasized above all others. So I believe these warm feelings they get are just that--warm feelings that confirm within themselves what they are familiar with--what they've been told thousands of times and will hear thousands more week in and week out.

I do believe the Holy Spirit can give us promptings, but I do not think this is the usual method of determining whether or not your church is true. But in the LDS religion the burning of the bosom is the ultimate spirtual experience, the trump card that they always use whenever they are challenged in their beliefs.

But a huge problem arises when one starts to study the teachings of LDS prophets and the history of the LDS church in more depth. One discovers bizarre teaching after bizarre teaching. There are too many problems, too many disconnects. Most often these things are glossed over in Sunday school, but when individual members take it upon themselves to really dive into the prophets from the available historical documents, that's when they discover the problems. Many LDS then have to face the possibility that much of what they've been taught all their lives is in fact not true, and facing that possibility is terribly discouraging and difficult.

I believe all the LDS prophets are false prophets, beginning with Joseph Smith all the way down the line to today. It's important that we look at what they had to say and also their actions. In the case of Joseph Smith, if you look at him objectively you would have to try really hard to miss some very troubling and serious faults in both his teachings and his actions during his time as prophet that tell me right away he was a phony in the same way we can say many modern televangelists are phonies. We are warned in the New Testament that many false prophets will come, and the LDS prophets I believe fall within that group.

[quote="Mormon_Cultist, post:2, topic:270908"]

[/quote]

Um....I did not point any fingers, I used them all to type this. Your comment makes no sense.

[quote="CourtAdvocate, post:6, topic:270908"]
Numbers 12:6, 1 Samuel 9:9, and Amos 3:7 from the Old Testament confirms to me that God speaks to prophets.

No mention of the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith from me ---- just the Bible itself.

[/quote]

Hmmmm......not sure your point. I never said God did not talk to Prophets. I said, in essence, that God does not talk to LDS "prophets".

[/quote]

Ok......so....of the quotes I posted.....how many of them are acceptable to you?

I can't wait for your answer.

[quote="Mormon_Cultist, post:2, topic:270908"]

[/quote]

Words have fingers? Is that also part of Mormon theology?

[/quote]

And that is the core issue with Mormonism: providing different meanings or definitions for terms.

Do accept you Ellen G. White from the Seven Day Adventist as a prophet?

TK…you may want to correct this in blue…I am sure you meant to include the word “not”.

[quote="CourtAdvocate, post:6, topic:270908"]

[/quote]

The prophets of the OT were meant to speak for God...to deliver messages and to herald the coming of Christ.

When Christ came....He had revealed the fulness of God...and there was no more need for prophets akin to the OT.

Just curious, what is the most recent case of an LDS prophet claiming a public revelation?

God might talk to them. "Joseph Smith! This is God! You've been a very bad boy!"

[quote="pablope, post:16, topic:270908"]
TK....you may want to correct this in blue...I am sure you meant to include the word "not".

[/quote]

lol...yes...I meant NOT to bash

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.