Do Lutherans and Methodists believe in OSAS???

I’ve been sort of wondering lately who does and who does not hold this belief. Considering their strong Armenian flavor, it seems to me they wouldn’t, but they don’t really talk about it, do they?

Anyway, thanks!

AFAIK Methodists do not believe in OSAS as they are Arminian.

Lutherans are a mix of Calvinist and Arminian,

[quote=http://www.communitylutheran.com/membership/index.html] About Eternal Security:
Because God gives us eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in the salvation for eternity. Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives this security.
John 10:29; II Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25;10:10, 14; I Peter 1:3-5
[/quote]

The Lutheran and Methodists that I know do not. The Cost of Discipleship is a Lutheran classic.

Lutherans (LCMS) believe it’s possible to loose faith in Christ and if you loose your faith in Christ then you might end up in hell.

See their web-page:
lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2651
lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2647

Aparently, I just located odd Lutherans.

Who wrote the book?

Dietrich Bonhoffer, a Lutheran pastor who was killed by the Nazis for his opposition to Hitler.

Thanks. :slight_smile: I have heard of him, but I never read any of his books. That sounds like a good one.

I was baptized and confirmed Missouri Synod, joined an ELCA for awhile and now attend a WELS church.(Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) I was always taught that you CAN lose your salvation, as the bible teaches you can in various passages, and that you must persist (believe) to the end to be saved. Judas lost his, (although OSAS would argue he was never a “believer” in the first place.)
The difference that I can see right now, is that the Catholic Church seems to teach that you have to have an unconfessed (unrepented)mortal sin to not get to heaven, am I right?
The church I attend now teaches that you basically have to lose your faith not to be saved at the end, warning us not to accept false teachings as we could lose our faith in the true Savior and wind up not getting to heaven.

Yes this is exactly what I’ve been taught.

Methodists do not believe in OSAS in the respect that they believe salvation is an on again, off again type deal. Example would be you live a good life and then one day you steal something, you lost your salvation unless you repent. However, some members of the Methodist church, especially those with Southern and strong Evangelical roots, do hold the OSAS. I know this because I was raised United Methodist, which is a mix of Methodist and the now defunct Evangelical United Brethren. My gram is very fundamentalist and holds many views opposite the UMC. But then again, the UMC is so wishy-washy that they don’t care for the most part. Praise God I am working my way across the Tiber.

dxu

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.