Do Married Couples Have To Sleep In Same Bed?

Okay, this may odd but I don’t know if this is a mortal sin or not?:shrug: My husband sleeps in a different room because he wakes up early and I stay up late (reading, watching tv, tending to baby that still gets up though out the night). I don’t think this is a sin unless one of the spouses objects but wanted to double check.

Sounds like more of a bad idea than a sin. In the Christian home there are three alters. The alter at Mass, the dinner table and the marriage bed. When you remove these trouble begins. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a kid.

It seems like it would be difficult for the church to declare such a thing a sin. It is a very definite aspect that can sometimes not be avoided, and may even be culturally influenced in some places. Don’t know for sure though.

No, it's not a sin, especially considering the reasons you offered for sleeping in different beds. Your reasons seem to emanate from love and not from selfishness. I would also note that there are Christian couples who practice sexual abstinence at times during their married life together. This is an ancient custom among Christians. It would seem to me that not sharing a bed together would aid in this practice. Although it is true that healthy sexual relations are necessary for a good Christian marriage and neither spouse should withold sexual relations from the other with malice or without good reason, but neither is there a rule which dictates that sexual relations must take place in a bed.

[quote="dailey, post:1, topic:210015"]
Okay, this may odd but I don't know if this is a mortal sin or not?:shrug: My husband sleeps in a different room because he wakes up early and I stay up late (reading, watching tv, tending to baby that still gets up though out the night). I don't think this is a sin unless one of the spouses objects but wanted to double check.

[/quote]

No

You sure there isn’t a rule about it being in a bed? We still have to do it in the dark, with the door closed, missionary style, through a hole in a sheet right?

no it is not a sin unless one of you sleeps in somebody else’s bed. What I would argue is wrong if one parent routinely (not with a nursing mother or sick child, but routine) sleeps with one of the children, that is skewing the natural order too much. In my parents day couples usually had twin beds in the same room, so mattress, covers etc could be customized, but yes with a snorer who refuses to get help, for instance, separate rooms may be necessary for healthful sleep. an even better solution is to deal with sleep issues and make the bedroom the place only for sleep and romance, and remove all other distractions–electronics TV esp. being no.1, also laundry to be sorted, kids toys, books and everything else that is not related to those 2 purposes.

[quote="dailey, post:1, topic:210015"]
Okay, this may odd but I don't know if this is a mortal sin or not?:shrug: My husband sleeps in a different room because he wakes up early and I stay up late (reading, watching tv, tending to baby that still gets up though out the night). I don't think this is a sin unless one of the spouses objects but wanted to double check.

[/quote]

Not a mortal sin but might be imprudent and should be changed if either spouse objects.

:rotfl:

No, there is no rule regarding sleeping arrangements. I agree that from a practical matter, spouses may have to sleep in separate beds or rooms (snoring, thrashing about at night, etc, having to get up early, etc.). However, such must not be a detraction from spousal realtions.

Thanks everyone!! Good to hear.::thumbsup:

…made me laugh!

"Sleeping" is an entirely different thing than "having relations"... the two don't need to be confused here... ;)

Getting good sleep is necessary for your health. Sometimes it just isn't practical to sleep in the same room... different schedules, snoring spouses, temperature/light preferences... all of these can contribute to a poor night's sleep, which can adversely affect your health.

There is nothing wrong with sleeping in different rooms... go get a good night's rest. :D

I’m not married but I can see if you were sharing a bed with someone who snored and you couldn’t get sleep or was up when you needed to sleep that it could be a problem. I know I would never get any sleep if I shared a bed with someone who snored.

I totally agree!
I think there is a big difference between sleeping in different rooms because of issues such as snoring, etc. making it impossible to have a healthy night sleep and sleeping in different rooms to stay up to watch TV or read for entertainment routinely. I think the latter could be imprudent.

[quote="PatrickSebast, post:6, topic:210015"]
You sure there isn't a rule about it being in a bed? We still have to do it in the dark, with the door closed, missionary style, through a hole in a sheet right?

[/quote]

:D

And you need to keep both feet on the floor.

breaks out black censor bar

Coffee spewed all over my monitor. Thanks a bunch.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

LOL

Nothing wrong with sleeping in separate beds as long as one isn’t with holding sexual relations from the other. My parents were of the generation that had twin beds. Remember sitcoms from the 50’s and 60s - couples were shown sleeping in separate beds.

There is nothing morally or religiously wrong with sleeping in seperate beds, but it would sure make me pretty miserable! If you are going to do this long-term you should make sure your spouse is 100% okay with it and take steps to make sure it doesn’t impact your elationship. The time at the end of the day spent together getting ready for bed and falling asleep is an important time to talk and reconnect. If you lose that time and don’t make up for it you can run the risk of growing apart from your husband.

Does anyone remember the first TV show that showed a husband and wife sharing the same bed?

Snopes.com says its a show called Mary Kay and Johnny, made in 1947.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.