Do members Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP) Receive pay?

I know they don’t take a vow of poverty, but does that mean they get paid?

That is something you’d have to ask an actual FSSP priest. I can’t vouch for such thing. I would assume that they may get paid as a regular priest. I could be wrong.

Thanks anyway!

Very intriguing question, and one I have also been wondering for some time (I have a similar question for the ICRSP priests). Not that I’m considering joining either group, but it would be interesting if someone could shed some light on this. :thumbsup:

[quote="AcolyteLector, post:4, topic:224560"]
Very intriguing question, and one I have also been wondering for some time (I have a similar question for the ICRSP priests). Not that I'm considering joining either group, but it would be interesting if someone could shed some light on this. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Hi! M parish is staffed by the fraternity. And I have also been to a camp by the fraternity and I asked that question. Yes! they do receive a salary, it is not very large but it is a salary. And this is due to them not taking the poverty vow. Some are paid more than others.

My FSSP priest is very fond of his iPhone, and has a Macbook as his primary computer. But then again, he wears socks with holes in the heels on a fairly frequent basis, so I’m guessing it’s not that high of a salary.

[quote="bubbly1, post:1, topic:224560"]
I know they don't take a vow of poverty, but does that mean they get paid?

[/quote]

Yep. They get paid a salary.

[quote="HonoraDominum, post:6, topic:224560"]
My FSSP priest is very fond of his iPhone, and has a Macbook as his primary computer. But then again, he wears socks with holes in the heels on a fairly frequent basis, so I'm guessing it's not that high of a salary.

[/quote]

For four years (2004 to 2008) FSSP priests came twice a month (and sometimes more) to my Upstate NY diocese to say the TLM. I remember one who had a Blackberry phone. Sometimes when he could come to breakfast after Mass, he would take it out and check messages or get info off of it.

Gee, Honora, your FSSP priest should get himself some new socks, if all he has are ones with holes in the heels! :blush: :) ;)

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:8, topic:224560"]
For four years (2004 to 2008) FSSP priests came twice a month (and sometimes more) to my Upstate NY diocese to say the TLM. I remember one who had a Blackberry phone. Sometimes when he could come to breakfast after Mass, he would take it out and check messages or get info off of it.

Gee, Honora, your FSSP priest should get himself some new socks, if all he has are ones with holes in the heels! :blush: :) ;)

[/quote]

But there holy socks!

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:8, topic:224560"]

[/quote]

I just think of it as his personal devotion to the Cure D'Ars, who used to wear the finest vestments, but his cassocks were always faded and full of holes. The cassocks were for him, you see, but the vestments were for God.

Or, you know, maybe he just needs some new socks. :)

I'm guessing they're on Diocesan payroll?

One of the FSSP priests in my area has a fairly nice car (not saying what kind...)! At first I thought that a bit strange, then I realized to commute 8 hours round trip just to say Mass on Sunday, a reliable and efficient car is a must. If I am not mistaken it is common for FSSP priests to not have computers.

Does anyone know if an FSSP priest can celebrate a Novus Ordo Mass?:)

[quote="bubbly1, post:12, topic:224560"]
Does anyone know if an FSSP priest can celebrate a Novus Ordo Mass?:)

[/quote]

Yes they can.

There was a huge mix up within the FSSP a number of years ago. Some within the FSSP wanted to restrict the Mass only to the EF.

Some within the FSSP wanted to be able to celebrate the OF mainly to concelebrate with the bishop especially at the Chrism Mass during Holy Week.

The fight got to a point where the pope had to replace the superior of the FSSP and made sure that all the priests retain the right to celebrate the OF.

That being said I do not think that many do so except for concelebrating with a bishop at times.

I've heard the attitude regarding the OF is along the lines of "if you desire to celebrate it, do not join the FSSP." There are likely mixed reasons for this, but the underlying fact is their mission and purpose is to celebrate the EF. I doubt they want to room for certain bishops to "have their way" if you will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.