Do Modernists and Cafeteria catholics dislike the Divine Mercy Devotion?

I don’t know that many modernists on a personal level, but the ones I do, one thing that they share in common, is that they have a dislike of the Divine Mercy Devotion, it’s very interesting. So I ask anyone out there who knows a modernist or Cafeteria catholic, does your modernist or Cafeteria catholic “friend” have a dislike of the Divine Mercy Devotion? Do modernists have a dislike of the Divine Mercy?

If this true, that modernists have a dislike of the Divine Mercy devotion, that actually makes a lot of sense as these modernists are actually against authentic mercy. Modernists don’t want to show sinners authentic mercy and free them from their sins and so it makes sense that they would have a dislike to a devotion to the Divine Mercy which is all about saving poor sinners from their sins.

I don’t know who you’re meeting, but I’ve never met anybody who objected to the Divine Mercy. The most “modern” parish I currently attend seems to favor it greatly over the Rosary - I have yet to see a Rosary group meeting at this church except for the Flame of Love Cenacle which says it as part of a holy hour that includes other prayers and guided meditation - but they say Divine Mercy on a regular basis and have a big Divine Mercy prayer service with special music on Divine Mercy Sunday.

I’m also a little confused when you say modernists don’t want to show sinners mercy. Most of them are knocking themselves out to excuse sinners from their sins.

Why would someone hate {pretty strong word} the Divine Mercy Chaplet? Kind of silly when this is a gateway to Heaven…Modernists whoever they are, ought to look to the Merciful Heart of Jesus, maybe that would open their own hearts. God Bless.:butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

I’ve run across a few “rad trads” who do not accept the Divine Mercy devotion as valid because it was promoted by (their words, not mine) “Modernist” St John Paul II

@TheLittleLady

:thinking::scream::scream::scream::roll_eyes:

Which is bizarre because the devotion goes back to pre-Vatican II and was actually suppressed by Pope John XXIII until Pope JP II reinstated it. You’d think the trads would love it.

Why do you belittle our brothers and sisters by calling them cafetaria catholics and write ‘friends’ like that as if they can’t be real friends?

Why not make some concrete statements on what you believe a “modernist” is, what you believe they believe, and why you disagree with them?

“Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” - Proverbs 13:20

Read the writings of Pius X. It’s pretty clear what a modernist is. It is an officially condemned heresy.

‘‘Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.’’ - Matthew 5:22

So you don’t mean anyone by that quote about keeping ‘fools’ as companions? Then why bring that quote up?

“Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.” 2 John 9-11

The only people I’ve encountered who dislike the devotion are what I would call hard-core traditionalists, who I believe see it as “cheap grace.”

‘‘Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? Matthew’’ - 7:3

And you did call him a fool :slight_smile:

''Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. ‘’ - Leviticus 18:22

Jesus calls people fools all the time.

We are called to imitate Christ.

That’s just used as an excuse to let people get away with committing grave sins. We have a duty to correct people who commit grave sins. Admonish the sinner, my friend.

I think Jesus taught us this because we have to remind ourselves that we are ALL sinners and no one is perfect. If it is our duty to correct people, then it 'd have to be the people close to us who would accept our advise and not people we don’t even know personally.

But I hope you’re having these opinions with good intentions (for now I will stop replying because I get a message from CA that it’s not polite to constantly reply to the same person in a topic that involves many other people)

Have you ever seen any modernist show mercy towards homosexuals? Authentic Mercy includes freeing poor sinners from the horrors of their sins, the vast majority modernist have no desire to show such compassion, but rather they cruelly leave sinners enslaved to their sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.