Do Mormons currently believe that God the Father was once a man like us?

Does God the Father have a Father?

Did God live on a planet just like we do?

If you do believe that God the Father had a Father, did he also have a Grandfather?

Where do Gods begin for Mormons?

Does God the Father have a Father?>>

It has been my experience on LDS mb’s that most do; however, certainly not all; for instance, LDS philosopher/theologian Blake Ostler does not. His following essay is a must read (IMHO):

scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=cache:0YMR1HJMUiYJ:www.matthewfisher.net/REVISIONINGFINAL.pdf+author:%22Ostler%22+intitle:%22Re-vision-ing+the+Mormon+Concept+of+Deity%22

Grace and peace,

Aug

I’ve read his essay before. Back when I was an active Mormon, trying to justify Mormon understanding of the Godhead, I wrote something very similar. And then President Hinckley came out with his statement in answer to this question, “I don’t know that we teach that.” Unfortunately, instead of expanding on his statement, he went to the next General Conference and claimed he had been misquoted (even though the reporter had it on tape). It sounds to me like most Mormons believe it, but justify “lying for the Lord” when asked to explain it. They don’t want to admit it to people until the people learning about Mormonism are already baptized.

Here’s a Mormon hymn that expresses the belief in generations of gods:

If You Could Hie to KOLOB
Lyrics by William W. Phelps

If you could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward with the speed of light to fly**,
D’ye think that you could ever, through all eternity,
Find out the generation where Gods began to be?

Or see the grand beginning, where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation where Gods and matter end?
Methinks the Spirit whispers, "No man has found ‘pure space’,"
Nor seen the outside curtains, where nothing has a place.

The works of God continue, and worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression have one eternal round.
There is no end to matter; there is no end to space;
There is no end to spirit; there is no end to race.
** Revision 6-8-2002

Ostler does not even remotely understand the classical Christian concept of the trinity.

The Mormon church teaches that “the Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D & C 130:22).

If God is a man and all on earth have the potential to be a God if they follow his commandments they are polytheists.

Actually, Mormons are henotheists. That means they believe in the existence of many gods, but confine themselves to the worship of only one.

God bless,
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.