Do most Catholics really know?

Do you think that most Catholics really know what a gift from God that has been given to them in the Holy Catholic church? are most people aware of all of the gifts that Holy Mother church has bestowed upon us? do most Catholics realize that the church that they attend is the bride of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ? I must be the first to plead ignorance to this fact. I went through most of my life living up to my neck in sin like a selfish schmuck, and spent many years away from the church. I blame myself for most of this, but was there bad teaching along the way? probably a little. I was never really aware of the true presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist like I am now. it was just Communion when I was growing up. like I have already stated, I take most of the blame for this, because I was just a wild, hard headed, trouble making jack *** when I was growing up, and if I would have bothered listening to others, I probably would have learned much more at an earlier age. with all of that being said, it seems the more deeper I dig into the history of the church, the more thankful I am for it. I am aware like I have never been before (Thanks be to God), and I want to make other Catholics aware of what a truly wonderful gift they have in the church. 1. the Eucharist. this is the real presence of our Lord Jesus Christ. Yes, He is present in other ways, but He is present in a real and substantial way in the Eucharist alone. look at all of the ways in Sacred Scripture where many things point to the Eucharist. look where St Paul points out that if we approach the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin, we are eating & drinking a judgement against ourselves(which many people are doing). people can argue their way around this all they want, but the truth is what it is.2. the Pope, Bishops, Cardinals, Priests and all of the holy men & women serving the church. Jesus said “Satan wishes to sift you (meaning you all) like wheat, but Peter, I pray for you in unity.” we all know the rest of the story. there are between 40 - 60,000 different Christian denominations currently in this world, with various teachings. (sift you like wheat indeed) We have one Holy Catholic and Apostolic church, and the gates of hell themselves will not prevail against it. if I was to put 100 people in seperate rooms & give them all Bibles, I would get 100 different interpretations. Catholics have the assured teachings of Christ Himself, handed down through the Apostles and the majesterium of the church. 3. the seven Sacraments of the church. I think that the one that is mostly overlooked by many Catholics is the Sacrament of Penance (Confession). I think that Confession is a great gift from God, many great Saints believed in frequent confession, and I take advantage of this Sacrament often. God knows that we are human, and that we fail often, and what a wonderful gift we have by being able to go to Confession and seek forgiveness. 4. the Saints & Martyrs. the great teachings of many of these great men & women, the many miracles from some of these truly Blessed people, the many people who willingly sacrificed their lives, so we could have what we have today. I could get into more and I will as this thread goes along, but I think that this is a pretty good start to make my point, and to make others aware. “seek and you shall find.” I think that if anyone takes the time to seek out things about the Catholic church, they will find a great gift from God that they will be extremely thankful for. I think that before anyone speaks hateful words against the church, its Priests, or any of its servants, they should choose their words wisely. although many people throughout it’s history have made her appear to be an unfaithful bride, She is not. and always remember that when you speak of her, you are speaking about the true Bride of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

www.marypages.com/IncorruptBodies.htm

www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/Mir/a3.htm

www.scripturecatholic.com

A couple of the websites I posted above, may not be the actual websites letter for letter, but you can still get to them.

The truth is the truth no matter how many people know about it.

Even if some Catholics do not clearly understand their faith, I think they still benefit from the church in an unconscious way. Of course, the ideal is for every Catholic to know their faith and preach it clearly with conviction in word and deed; then the whole world would be changed. Yet, this ideal can only be achieved starting with ourselves, one person at a time. God does work on each individual as only He knows how.

We also do know that the gates of Hades shall not prevail against the Church. So, Alleluiah! Let us all work out our individual salvation with fear and trembling. God shall take care of the rest.

A small suggestion for your posting: can you do a little more paragraphing so your post is a little easier to read? :slight_smile: God bless.

We live & we learn. Nice post…

Unfortunately, I, like you, through my own ignorance didn’t understand what a gift and a blessing the Church was in my life until I started researching for myself the teachings and history and stopped listening to those who were less than faithful to Christ and ALL his teachings. I am now trying to reach my CCD students the things I wish someone had taught me somewhere in my 8 years of Catholic School. I also think that, since I was taught the faith from when I was a small child ( I was born and raised Catholic) but not given the where and why of our faith I also, to some degree, took it for granted.

Many have also taken it for granted and feel that, what they know is enough and they don’t need to learn more. That is the biggest mistake they will ever make. Your faith grows as you learn: about God, about Christ, about His Church, our history, etc… I’m trying to give my students, as well as others around me, a hunger to learn more but find it is difficult.

I hope you never loose your renewed appreciation for what we have and how special it is. Try your best to spread your appreciation to those around you, become infectious.

How great you art.

Give other people some time to jump to your conclusions.

I really like 99 percent of the posts on here so far, and as far as the 1 percent I didn’t care for, everyones entitled to their own opinions. I didn’t post this for arguments however, I posted this so more Catholics can seek further into the wonderful gift of the truth that they have been given by God. there are so many other great things that could be posted here, such as incorruptible bodies of saints, the Rosary, Eucharistic Adoration, the many miracles that have been associated with the church itself and so on. the deeper I dig, the more I truly fall in love with the great gift that God has bestowed upon us in the Catholic church. if ANYONE takes their time and seeks all of the facts out about the Catholic church, I can assure them that they will be eternally thankful that they did so.

You are on to it SAN, It’s About growing up, maturity.

Do you think other religions don’t have to grow through it?

Even with perfect and 12years of catechizes it still has to travel from the head to the heart. And the time for that is different for all of us.

We trust God, Father knows best. ;):thumbsup:Carlan

As a former protestant for 20 years - I couldn’t agree more.

Good post! You are right, the Catholic faith is a gold mine. The more we dig, the more treasure we will find.

When I taught CCD, I used to tell my students again and again that if they couldn’t remember anything I said, I just wanted them to remember one thing - the Real Presence in the Eucharist. I emphasized this fact in class again and again. I believe once a person understands the Real Presence in the Eucharist, he will never leave his Catholic faith.

Among the seven Sacraments, the Sacrament of Reconciliation is another one we can receive multiple times. Like the Sacrament of Eucharist, it is also a Sacrament of love. (Actually, all Sacraments are Sacrament of love.) In confession, not only we receive God’s mercy and forgiveness, it is a precious occasion we can get so close to God. I love this Sacrament. God’s presence is always so intense in the confessional. Indeed we should run to this Sacrament of mercy and love.

Yeah, even tho some of us could’ve possibly made better decisions & also could’ve been better taught. Well I’m sure it’s the same with a lot of people of all religions.

[quote=saintwannabe]I think that if anyone takes the time to seek out things about the Catholic church, they will find a great gift from God that they will be extremely thankful for. I think that before anyone speaks hateful words against the church, its Priests, or any of its servants, they should choose their words wisely. although many people throughout it’s history have made her appear to be an unfaithful bride, She is not. and always remember that when you speak of her, you are speaking about the true Bride of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
[/quote]

You know, I can just feel how Jesus has got to be smiling at your post. When you praise His Body, you praise Him, and when you direct others to His Body, you direct them to Him, for He fills this beautiful Church we are blessed with and through the Eucharist we truly are “flesh of His flesh, bone of His bone.”

The Church is unfathomably beautiful! Praise be to God for her!

saintwannabe, thank-you for sharing your love!

I spent most of my 40 + years taking my faith for granted. Now I thank Jesus for Blessing me by making me a Catholic ( thanks mom). What a treasure!!! It all comes down to really committing to the church. Its so beautiful and its all I need.

Well said and Amen!!!

P.S. Hey Lief Erickson, Thank you for the kind words, God bless you friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.