Do my civil marriages keep me from joining the Church?

Hello,

I have a unique situation that I’m hoping someone can help me with. My wife and I (both non Catholic but beginning RCIA in the fall) were married in a civil ceremony on December 31, 2014. This was our 4th (and final) marriage. We were married 3 times prior, always to each other, always in civil ceremonies, from the age of 19 forward. With the exception of 3 months, even while divorced, we have never not been together during the last 12 years. Neither of us has ever been married to anyone except each other. We also have two children together who will be coming into the Church with us. Additionally, I was baptized as a Southern Baptist in 2008. My wife has never been baptized in any faith.

While I am embarrassed at the level of immaturity and lack of respect we both showed for the sanctity of marriage, I am now confident in our matrimonial state. We both took a long period of personal reflection prior to our current marriage and have matured greatly in our communication and commitments to each other.

With that being said, my question is: How will our current matrimonial state be viewed by the Church given our multiple divorces and remarriages since we were not Catholic (or any other religion)? Will this be a hindrance to our RCIA process and if so, how would it be remedied?

Im very new to the Catholic faith and am determined to make sure I enter the Church correctly. I have finally foubd the spiritual home Ive been searching for. I look forward to your response and offer my thanks.

The following link should help answer your question about becoming Catholic. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

**Recommended Reading:**Can I become a Catholic?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.