Do Non-Catholics Care About Christian Charity?

No, not charitable works toward the poor, which our non-Catholic brothers and sisters support in great abundance with gifts of their wealth, time and spirit—charity toward their fellow Christians.

I ask the question simply because since becoming Catholic, the constant call of the Church and my Catholic brothers and sisters is to charity of the spirit toward our non-Catholic brothers and sisters.

This is something with which I frankly struggle, being of an argumentative disposition. In asking this question, I am in no way claiming that I do not struggle with this.

The reason I ask is because we have a number of non-Catholic posters who do not show much indication that they take Christ’s commands in this regard to be binding at all.

This is surely not confined to non-Catholics, I cite my own case as damning evidence of lack of Christian charity.

What it makes me wonder is if emphasis is placed upon this principle within the non-Catholic faith communities. I can say that of all the non-Catholic communities of which I’ve been a part, it was my United Methodist Church pastor who unfailingly called us to such charity and who never violated the principle.

What do you think?

I do believe in being charitable. Although I can sometimes be argumentative, I hope I have not offended anyone and apologize if I have. Our minister does the same as your pastor did.

SyCarl-

I’m glad you responded, because I think most of us would agree that you’re a great example of someone who is charitable, even in the heat of argument.

Your minister emphasizes this—is this typical of your denomination in your experience?

The veteran Non-Catholics here have been charitable. The Newbie Non-Catholics either don’t know the meaning of the word charitable, or just don’t practice it.

I noticed newbies like (Edited!) and others have been very uncharitable and hostile to the Catholic faith compared with other Non-Catholic I encounter here.

I second that opinion.:thumbsup:

I have attended 8 churches of the Prebyterian Church in Canada as I have moved around the province and I have never heard any ill word about the Catholic Church in any of them. I can also say the same of the United Church of Canada which I attended in two communities with no Presbyterian Church. While there may be exceptions that I have not encountered, I think this is typical.

That is wonderful, and you set a great example for all of us, not just our Presbyterian brothers and sisters.

This is a very artificial environment for conversation, and it exagerates argumentativeness.

The difficulty people have with me, for example, is that when I state what I know as the truth, which I do in emphatic manner most of the time, it is (occassionally) taken as an “attack” (uncharitable) while not being so in fact.

Sometimes, of course, I do indeed go too far, and then I prove myself silly, and get my hand slapped. :slight_smile:

The hyper-sensitivity of many people in this “volitile” venue, both Catholic and otherwise, is a source of frustration (and amusement), but I find VERY little actual lack of charity here, especially from Catholics.

Best to 'ya…!

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha nui.

I think Non-Catholic Christians are very charitable; I live in an area where there are more protestants. As acquaintances and friends I have never run into any anti-Catholic attitudes. To my face anyway :). Oh I get the occasional question about Mary the Saints and Purgatory; but it’s always been a very charitable exchange. The only uncharitable folks I’ve encountered (and not me personally, just reading through the threads) are here on these forums.

What it makes me wonder is if emphasis is placed upon this principle within the non-Catholic faith communities. I can say that of all the non-Catholic communities of which I’ve been a part, it was my United Methodist Church pastor who unfailingly called us to such charity and who never violated the principle.

What do you think?>>>>>>>>

How many stories have been told here by other Catholics (either cradle, revert, or converts) about what we believe is wrong by n/C
Christians? Tons? Right? Where does that come from? N/Cs are taught that. Either it’s taught at their chruches, from their family, or others they’re around. It’s a vicious cycle passed down from generation to generation.

All I know is that as a cradle Catholic (who has recently come back after a 25 year absence) I was never taught negative things about other religions be it Christian, Non Christian etc.

The non charity we witness is called Pride. That’s all this stems down to. Have I been guilty of it, absolutely. What do I do? I have to humble myself. Ask for forgiveness by God & the people I’ve offended. It may take me awhile to get there, but it gets done.:blush:

Afterall Jesus said that we must love our neighbors. He didn’t say as long as their beliefs are the same as yours…:wink:

I think this is either a silly question or a thinly veiled attack on those people you are debating in the “Is Catholicism Christian?” thread.:rolleyes:

Well, in all actuality, I’m only debating Simon (MFM) in that thread, and he’s been nothing but charitable within it.

It’s an honest question—when we call our fellow Christians to be charitable, it seems like we’re speaking an alien tongue sometimes.

And one hopes my response to SyCarl here demonstrates my sincerity.

What do you think?

Unfortunately a source of misinformation can be Catholics themselves. I have been told things that I had no reason to disbelieve at the time. After all, I thought, it is their church. I have come to see that quite a bit of what I was told was in error. Can non-Catholics be blamed if they believe something wrong when they have been told it by a Catholic friend?

Well, as you can see from my sig. I firmly hold to being charitable. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to be otherwise.

It doesnt matter how mad you get–there is no excuse for being uncharitable.

I mean look how easy it can be to be nice----we are at computers–we dont have to answer right away–right:thumbsup: Take a deep breathe–say a quick pray and rethink before typing.:thumbsup:

The minute a nasty word is typed or condescending comment----

[SIGN]IT IS SIN!!!!!!!!:mad: [/SIGN]

OH and my minister always tells us we need to show love to our christian brothers and sisters in Christ.:smiley: AMEN!!

AFH, I think you’re another great example of a non-Catholic who is a great example of charity.

The media certainly lends itself to the pithy and sarcastic—I indulge in that myself.

How do you square the electronic forum’s excesses with our need to be charitable toward one another?

[quote=Teflon93;2753811

]AFH, I think you’re another great example of a non-Catholic who is a great example of charity.

How do you square the electronic forum’s excesses with our need to be charitable toward one another?

OK I think Im having a blonde moment because for whatever stupid reason, Im just not understanding this question:o :o

No, I was just not clear.

Someone brought up the point that being on a message board lends itself to heated discussion which may in turn lead to a less charitable one.

So given that you’ve pointed out that condescension and snide remarks are a sin, I was just wondering if you thought the message forum itself, to use the Catholic word, represented a “near occasion” (strong temptation) of sin for those of us who struggle with the virtue of charity.

Can non-Catholics be blamed if they believe something wrong when they have been told it by a Catholic friend?>>>

SyCarl,
Of course not, & I apologize since I put too much emphasis on one perspective of the issue.

As I previously posted I was out of the church for 25 years. Up until this past spring the last time I went to Mass was Easter of 1982. I was 15 at time. I’m 40 now & I will be the first to admit that I was poorly catechized.

I would not ordinarily weigh in on a thread, but this does fringe on my duties as Moderator here at CAF, so I will this time.

I firmly believe that almost all of the non-Catholic posters here at CAF do indeed believe in being charitable. In fact, per capita, I probably have to cite more Catholics than I do non-Catholics for violating the charity standards here at CAF. Human beings can fail in charity on both sides of the discussions here and I think we all know that.

Things that grind me to the bone (from anyone) are responses like:

1. “Well did you see what so and so said to me?”

2. “Did you cite the other guys?”

3. Sending complaints about simple expressions of opinion, (Example: “the Catholic Church does not believe the bible” etc…) as if that is an anti-Catholic attack. It is not. It’s just their opinion. Find out why they think that and then explain and defend the Catholic faith.

4. Stooping to the other guy’s level. That never makes a lack of charity acceptable, I assure you.

I think that the key to this discussion can be found in the New Testament.

Luke 6: 27 "But I say to you that hear,** Love your enemies**, do good to those who hate you,** 35** But** love your enemies**, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.

1st Corinthians 13

and 1st Peter 3:13 Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is right?
14 But even if you do suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,
15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
17 For it is better to suffer for doing right, if that should be God’s will, than for doing wrong.
MF

Well, many of the misconception about Catholic beliefs comes from Catholic who know little about their faith. I often heard Fr. Corapi, Catholic education in school isn’t very good.

Most of the instructors are mostly dissenters from the Catholic Church. I even heard a story about a Catholic nun when she was question about female priesthood. She commented saying that the Pope is male “********.”

I think any Non-Catholic who wants to know what the Catholic Church teaches either have one consult a priest, who’s thinking is within the lines of the Church. They should also take a look at the Catholic Catechism.

I would also recommend them reading the 16 Documents of the Second Vatican Council, especially Dei Verbum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.