Do Not Accept The New Dollar Coins As Change --- The Switch Has Begun

The Switch Has Begun.

U.S. Government to Release New Coins.

You guessed it – “IN GOD WE TRUST” is gone!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE.

Together we can force them out of circulation.

Has anyone else heard about this?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]No wonder our Economy is headed downhill. [/FONT]

“In God We Trust” is engraved on the side of the coin, a technique used by many different countries for centuries. It is a federal law that “In God We Trust” be on US coinage.

It is not true.

The presidential dollars do contain ‘In God We Trust.’ It’s located on the rim.

Because of the ruckus that has been raised on this issue, it will be moved back to the surface of the coin but I don’t remember which side.

Gary

Do you really think God endorses the way our economy works? :shrug:

But that’s just me and my :twocents:

PHILADELPHIA — An unknown number of new George Washington dollar coins were mistakenly struck without their edge inscriptions, including “In God We Trust,” and made it past inspectors and into circulation, the U.S. Mint said Wednesday.

The properly struck dollar coins, bearing the likeness of [George Washington](“javascript:siteSearch(‘George Washington’);”), are inscribed along the edge with “[In God We Trust](“javascript:siteSearch(‘In God We Trust’);”),” “[E Pluribus Unum](“javascript:siteSearch(‘E Pluribus Unum’);”)” and the year and mint mark. They went into circulation Feb. 15.

The mint struck 300 million of the coins, which are golden in color and slightly larger and thicker than a quarter.

About half were made in Philadelphia and the rest in Denver. So far the mint has only received reports of error coins coming from Philadelphia, mint spokeswoman Becky Bailey said.

Bailey said it was unknown how many coins didn’t have the inscriptions. Ron Guth, president of [Professional Coin Grading Service](“javascript:siteSearch(‘Professional Coin Grading Service’);”), one of the world’s largest coin authentication companies, said he believes that at least 50,000 error coins were put in circulation.

It was a mistake. It isn’t the first time something like this has happened; the entire history of US coinage has examples like this.

So they messed up a few. They’ll make great collectibles like any other error coin or bill.

Some of the John Adams coins got released without the motto, but these were mint errors and not done intentionally. If you can find one they are worth $100 and up depending on which president and whether the mint mark is a P or a D.

Gary

There’s always room for impovement and, by improvement, I mean bringing the economy more in line with what God has revealed, but I don’t know of any currently-functioning economy that does a better job in that respect. If you know of one, please let me know.

Gary

Whether it was a mistake or on purpose, you may be nieve and think it was a mistake.

When one of the only things missing from the coins was “In God We Trust” makes me very suspicious it was done on purpose.

If that’s the case, then why is the slogan going to be moved so that it appears on the flat side (I don’t know if it’s going on the head or tails side)?

Mistakes like this are made all the time. There are coin collectors who specialize in errors. I don’t specialize but I have a Lincoln cent dated 195 because the last digit of the date on the press had gotten filled in with gunk. I also have a nickle which was struck off-center. There is nothing nefarious going on.

Gary

The coins are suppose to have “In God We Trust” on the edge. I don’t like it, but the designers did that. I say it is good to complain about it, it hides the wording. But it is legal tender.

If I get a coin without the words, I’m keeping it because it will be worth something to a collector some day.

Man, you’re paranoid. Like garysibio said, there are collectors who specialize in error coins; they’ve been around forever. Don’t try to make this another “oh, they’re persecuting Christians again” type thing.

French coins from 200 years ago have “God protect the French” on the side. Like I said, this isn’t unprecedented. Many other European and even early 19th century US coins have the same thing. It ain’t no big deal!

We don’t mint French coins in the US. We mint US coins in the US and mimicking the French is not necessarily the way I want to go with our money (or a number of other things). Then again, they have nice sauces (that’s for Aimee, so I don’t get flamed) :slight_smile:

My point is, it isn’t unprecedented!!! It was a common thing to mint coins this way!!! It isn’t an attack on Christianity!!! Stop playing the martyr!!!

:rolleyes: What a non story. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

~Liza

Good point. Consumerism and Catholicism don’t mix :smiley:

I was unaware that “In God We Trust” was an economic statement. Interesting.

– Mark L. Chance.

Putting it on the rim is as close to removing it as they can legally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.