Do Not Get Sick, Top Doctor Warns Patients

One of Britain’s most senior doctors has warned people not to get ill because the situation in the NHS is so bad.

Sir Richard Thompson, President of the Royal College of Physicians, told Sky News a funding crisis is putting doctors under so much pressure it is putting patients at risk.

When asked where things were headed, Sir Richard said: “I’d rather not think about it. It’s already (a) tremendous strain. When people ask me what’s going to happen I say don’t get ill.”

news.sky.com/story/1237471/do-not-get-sick-top-doctor-warns-patients

That seems like good advice for everyone. A lot of illnesses are preventable. Get a good balance of eating, exercise, and sleep; drive, work, and play safely; avoid the abuse of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and sex; pay attention to your body when something is wrong.

If more people did that health care would be much more affordable and available when needed. Too bad none of that advice made it into Obamacare incentives.

=Trader;11869290]That seems like good advice for everyone. A lot of illnesses are preventable. Get a good balance of eating, exercise, and sleep; drive, work, and play safely; avoid the abuse of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and sex; pay attention to your body when something is wrong.

Absolutely good advice, but I suspect that’s not the problem there. Government-run health care always has a shortage of funds. That’s why queuing and rationing always are essential parts of it.

If more people did that health care would be much more affordable and available when needed. Too bad none of that advice made it into Obamacare incentives.

Better option would have been for the Deplorable Care Act not to have happened at all, and avoided the inevitable problems of government-run healthcare.

Jon

You get no argument from me. Obamacare actually subsidizes lots of unhealthy behavior and then forces others to pay for it. The ACA increases demand and reduces supply. Not even George Orwell would have called this affordable. The usual rationing measures of socialized medicine will quickly fail. Obama is desperate to hide this until after the next election.

you don’t say?!

There are many with unhealthy behaviors/vices that still worked and were able to cover their private insurance. With the new regulations of ACA, even private insurance is feeling the limitations. I know this personally as the private insurance I have is now restricting medications and coverage to fit the ACA policies, and it is becoming frightening.
They no longer cover a med that I need to live, and have offered a substitute, the substitute is one that was tried before and almost killed me. They say there is no ‘proof’ the sub medicine did it, so guess how I get to find out?
Pray for a pre-authorization to go through, or I get to be a guinea pig. The “cure” for the problem that occurred the other time I took the med, is a “last resort” treatment that has horrid side effects and itself can be fatal. I am of very frail health and can’t afford to “experiment” with my medicine.

God help us. (sincerely)

Before responding to this thread, bear in mind that the article in the OP’s link is from the British press, about the British National Health System, and is not about Obamacare.

Understood. But it is comparable.
My doctor told me she could only give me 15 minutes of her time, and could only cover one issue at a time. I would have to call and reschedule for each individual issue. That will take multiple visits as I have systemic illnesses that require constant monitoring. Multiple visits are difficult for me due to my health, not to mention the wait time now.
This has all come about since ACA was enacted.
We need necessarily to look at similar systems of health-care to know what to expect.

God bless.

This^^^^. Additionally, there are now limits on how many RX refills per visit (3). With a cardiac issue and two separate auto-immune issues, that’s a few visits, right there, without getting into additional complaints (sinus infection, you’re just gonna have to wait, I really need that carvedelol!)

Could you direct me to more information regarding this? Refilling prescriptions shouldn’t require a doctor’s visit. If you mean renewing prescriptions, it would make more sense. But I would like to learn more about this topic, so if you could refer me to sources I would appreciate it.

I have a chronic illness that I’ve had since childhood. It is not curable and I need medicine to live (note; not to just improve quality of life, but to actually live) and I have not been able to get the prescriptions refilled without a corresponding doctor’s visit. Even then it has been difficult to get what I specifically need. Getting appts for individual issues is taking longer and longer as the doctors in my area are booked solid.
I don’t know where in the laws this is written, but the difficulties with the prescriptions began after ACA took effect.
I was told by my insurance provider personally, that the reason I can’t get the specific meds that I need is a direct result of the ACA.

This is common knowledge. When a doctor writes an on-going prescription, there is a limited number of refills (in this case, three). When you run out of refills, for some medications (like my bp, prostate, and cholesterol meds) the doctor can just call in a new script, but for others (like my wife’s psychotropics), it requires an office visit to start over.

There’s even a joke about this in medical circles:

Old man: Doctor, didn’t you say that I would have to take this medication for the rest of my life?
Doctor: Yes, I did.
Old man: Then why does the bottle say, no more refills?

That would explain a few things I’ve experienced.
I take several meds daily, and all used to be filled at once to keep track, now they’re a few here, a few there, I run out of one and schedule to see the doctor to get ahead of another, and while concentrating on that find that I am quickly running out of yet another one.
I never, NEVER, had these difficulties before, and it is having a negative impact on my health.

I hope you are able to get the meds you need, but yeah, good luck on that infection. :frowning:

God bless.

And this is the system that the people of this country what to emulate?

I am currently on rotation in outpatient internal medicine. We refill all medications at one visit. I sent in 9 prescriptions for a gentleman the other day with insurance purchased through an exchange. All were approved. There is no official limit, other than that implemented by your physician. Regarding multiple visits, it’s common for doctors to focus on one disease per visit. But, if a patient has a simple acute infection, we treat that too! I am not a fan of many Obamacare tenets, but there is no limit on number of meds prescribed per visit.

I’m severely middle-aged now and I don’t ever remember the NHS not being in crisis.

It’s the way NHS politics/financial negotiations work.

True that. We lived in Gloucestershire in the late '80s. Nothing has changed since then.

Kind of a tough thread, being about the Brit healthcare and all.

Still, the topic itself is broad enough (I think) to talk about American healthcare.

I think the doctor would be entirely correct in America as well. With American medicine going to “evidence based medicine”, doctors, NPs and PAs are going more and more to computer answers. Put in the symptoms (that the examiner who sees 30 patients per day knows about) and it spits out the “evidence based” diagnosis and treatment. Now, courageous is the physician, NP or PA who ignores that and relies on his/her own judgment, because “evidence based medicine” is a “safe harbor” in avoiding malpractice claims. But give a “wrong” answer and you’ll be treated inappropriately, more likely than not.

I remember an NP being sharply criticized for treating a patient for strep throat. Why? Because the patient had a cough, and a cough is not in the “proper” symptom complex for strep throat. Worse, the NP ordered a culture for strep, which was positive. Why order a culture when the symptom complex didn’t fit the formula? Never mind that the patient actually HAD strep throat. Both the strep and the cough cleared up by the next visit, but the NP was still criticized for it.

And that 30 patients/day thing is getting more and more common. In some medical complexes, it’s the physician’s “quota”.

And since reimbursement for “well care” has increased at the expense of “chronic care”, nobody wants the “chronic care” patients and a lot of medical complexes have shifted to “well care” notwithstanding that at least some studies suggest that “preventive medicine” doesn’t improve outcomes.

And a person needs to be concerned about those questionnaires the doctors or their nurses are supposed to ask every patient annually. There are routine “counseling” things the doctor or nurse has to give and record that he/she did. Don’t drink, don’t smoke, lose weight, get more exercise, change your diet, take this medication proactively, do this test, lots of things. If you don’t comply, your non-compliance is eventually noted and you stand a chance in the future of being relegated to the “chronic” category as medical resources become more scarce and expensive.

The oncoming mess in American health care is likely to be of a different sort than that in Britain, one suspects, but I believe it will be (already is in many ways) a mess all the same.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.