Do NOT go see the movie "Noah"

It was so bad I nearly walked out. The director took so many liberties that it’s not even funny. I would even go so far to say that the movie was made by the devil, and given Hollywood, that’s probably not far from the truth.

Do NOT go see this movie!

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for warning. I dont usually watch “biblical” movies by Hollywood, they always have an agenda. In this case, normalizing the apartheid state of Israel, with its genocidal politic of killing/ displacing Palestinians, including Christian ones.

Russel Crowe harassed the Pope on twitter to watch the movie (!!!). He and the director tried to be received by the Pope, but all they got was a handshake last week. “The Pope doesnt watch movies” was the Vatican´s official response. What a nerve these people have, trying to use the Pope as a marketing tool… They disgust me!

It seems that opinions are all over the map on this movie. For example, two prominent Catholic movie commentators, Steven Greydanus (National Catholic Register movie reviewer) and Barbara Nicolosi (screen writer, cinema professor, commentator, etc.), have very different takes on this movie:

Steven Greydanus:
SDG Reviews Noah
Interview: ‘Noah’ Writer-Director Darren Aronofsky and Co-Writer Ari Handel
The ‘Noah’ Movie Controversies: Questions and Answers

Barbara Nicolosi:
Noah – The Emperor’s New Movie

I normally have great respect for the opinions of both Mr. Greydanus and Ms. Nicolosi. But Mr. Greydanus has never yet steered me too far wrong on a movie review, and since he backs up his opinion with much more detail than Ms. Nicolosi, I give more weight to his opinion for now. But maybe I will change my mind after I see the movie. I guess that a lot depends on what I think of the rock people. :wink:

A bunch of us college age Catholics went to go see it last night. We all started laughing part way through because it got so absurd. It finished and we just looked at each other in almost disbelief.

I dont understand why everyone is not surprise that this movie is truly not biblical accurate. I have heard several radio commercial for this movie put out by the studio that made it and they say in the commericals its not the biblical story. I haven’t seen tv commercials, but I can only assume they have a similar disclaimer.

Yeah, I was never expected something pulled out of the Bible to begin with. I plan on renting it whenever it’s released.

Come on, was anyone seriously expecting a Christian (much less a Catholic) message from Darren Aronofsky (or as I like to call him, Darren Nihilofsky?) We’re talking about the guy who gave us such gems as Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan and The Wrestler. It’s obvious that his worldview is not that of a Christian. :stuck_out_tongue:

You went to a movie that you knew was about a man who puts 2 of every kind of animal on a giant boat in order to survive a worldwide flood that a loving God was sending to kill everyone and everything that he created, but then you walked out because it was… absurd?

Just wanna see if I got that right…

:popcorn:

That’s unusual compared to the review of Sister Rose Pacatte who is FSP director of the Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City, CA with an MEd in Media Studies from the University of London (UK) and a Certificate in Pastoral Communications from the Unviersity of Dayton. Her primary work is media literacy education for parents and teachers within the context of culture, education and faith formation. She loves movies and is the Film/TV columnist for St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, the National Catholic Reporter, Sr. Rose Goes to the Movies at RCL/Benziger and at Reel Spirituality. You can also find film and media education articles at Pauline Center for Media Studies.
patheos.com/blogs/sisterrosemovies/about/

Here is her review
There is no doubt that Darren Aronofsky’s epic “Noah” draws from post-apocalyptic images and gives a nod to science fiction and the popular vampire genre to tell the story of Noah, the grandson of Methuselah.

And Aronofsky has done his Bible-storytelling homework. The entire narrative has the feel of an oral storytelling culture, with the use of repetitive “chiastic” or “ring” structure so hearers will remember. The film begins with the creation story in images, then over and over, Noah tells his family about the Creator and the six-day creation story that includes the first temptation, the fall, and the role of the devil in bringing paradise to an end. Sin is alive and well in Aronofsky’s “Noah.”

As a child, Noah (Dakota Goyo) witnesses the death of his father, Lamech (Marton Csokas), by a band of marauders looking for food in a barren landscape. The earth has been consumed. As a man, Noah (Russell Crowe), his wife, Naameh (Jennifer Connelly), and their two sons, Shem (Douglas Booth) and Ham (Logan Lerman) — young Japheth (Leo McHugh Carroll) comes along later — live in isolation to survive the decadence and violence of human behavior.

In dreams, Noah believes the Creator is telling him a flood is coming that will cleanse the earth and bring new life. He makes a journey to see his grandfather, Methuselah (Anthony Hopkins), and verify the Creator’s mandate. Noah and Shem come across a young girl, Ila (Emma Watson), who has been left for dead by her people. They bring her into their family and heal her severe injuries. It seems she will never be able to bear children.

In the wasteland, trees begin to grow, providing the wood needed. The fearsome Watchers (mythic creatures, half human and half heavenly, called Nephilim in Genesis) decide to help Noah and his family build the ark, the vessel where the innocent creatures will abide until the waters subside.

When a horde of people, led by the king, Tubal-cain (Ray Winstone), arrive demanding a place on the ark, Noah and Naameh have a conversation about what they would do to save their family, even killing if necessary. But Noah is a peaceful man, and the idea of killing any creature is abhorrent to him. But he admits that if he must, he will kill to defend his loved ones.

As the ark nears completion, the animals begin to arrive. First the birds, then snakes. Naameh burns an herbal sedative that causes the animals to fall asleep for the duration of the journey.

Then the rain begins.

“Noah” is not the typical robe-and-sandal Bible film we have become used to. Aronofsky has broken open the story of Noah (Genesis 5:29-9:29) and … CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING AT NCRONLINE

patheos.com/blogs/sisterrosemovies/2014/03/noah-is-not-your-typical-robe-and-sandal-bible-movie/

I have not seen the movie myself yet but I do prefer to make my own mind up about things.

I havent seem the movie yet, but i am considering it. I have heard several reviews state that the movie is not biblically accurate. Could anyone give me their specific objections?

JK

I am going to go see it. I don’t expect a “documentary,” nor a Bible study lesson. It’s a Hollywood movie, for crying out loud.

Thank you for these links. Interesting. I would definitely go and see it but unfortunately it wont be showing in this country :frowning:

Glen Beck saw it last week, at an advanced screening, and called it the Babylonian Chainsaw Massacre. He said he would have walked out, but was sitting next to the Hollywood type who had invited him and didn’t want to be rude. It was never marketed as the Sunday School Bible Story of Noah, so we should not expect much of that.

Didn’t know that evil was in the “movie making” business. :hmmm:

Dare to think for yourself. My husband, son and I are going to see it this afternoon. We “know” it’s not sole scripture to the Bible. Are any of them? Really? Common sense needs a nudge in for sure. Were any of us there when it took place? Didn’t think so.

The fear mongering is really on overload OP. “You” didn’t like it. I didn’t like Inception, The Watchmen or Hereafter, but I didn’t go on message boards and tell people not to see it. If asked, I said I didn’t like it and explained why. I certainly didn’t scare them into not seeing it.:shrug:

Thanks the OP for the heads up. The secular media has also panned it. The name of God is never used only the name “Creator”. These Hollywood types really have a problem with God. :cool:

youtube.com/watch?v=roWCnp6AJ_g&feature=share&list=UU6hUht59m5KZwIqcrcfD6FQ

Sr Rose Pacatte Ignatius News Network…review

76% on Rotten Tomatoes hardly qualifies as “panned.”

OTOH, the “Cesar Chavez” biopic, in which the Catholic faith plays a vital role, only scored 39% (probably panned by NY critics who never lived in AZ or CA.)

What exactly where you expecting??

Sorry, I go to the movies to be entertained. And that is what I expect from “Noah”.
If I want to be educated I will read a scholarly book. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.