"Do not lead us into temptation"?

How do non-Catholic Christian interpret this part of the Lord’s prayer?
“Do not lead us into temptation”.

Thanks!

Good question:shrug:
I personally do not believe that God tempts us at all. That comes from the satan.
I think there is even a verse in the OT that says the Lord does not tempt us:confused:

How does the CC intrepret it?

I think it is also translated as “…but do not subject us to the final test” (referring to the judgement at the end of time).

It’s in the Catechism at para 2846 for those who want to look it up. Basically its says that the English word “lead” is an inadequate translation of the Greek. Though the fact that the original was in Aramaic confuses the issue even more.

Even Christ was tempted by Satan. God allowed it to happen, yet did not do the tempting himself. I’ve always felt that this part of the Lords prayer was saying something similar to ‘please protect us from temptation’. This is an interesting question.

-D

I was watching EWTN the other day and father corapi was commenting on this verse. He said he didn’t like the the english translation of this verse. He said he preffered the spanish translation which literaly states " Do not let us fall into temptation." It think the spanish is a better translation because it gets that verse across much more clearly than the english one.

I always saw it the same… Do not let us fall into temptation. My five year old wanted to know what it meant too. I told her it meant , “Please God, don’t let us do bad things, but deliver us from evil.” :smiley:

If my salvation is assured by simply excepting Jesus Christ into my heart as my personal Lord and savior why should I even be worried about being tempted?

Do not let us fall into temptation, makes more since but do not lead us into temptation, is more poetic.

God surely tempts no one to sin, but we pray in this petition that God would guard and keep us, so that the devil, the world, and our flesh may not deceive us or lead us into false belief, despair, and other great and shameful sins; and though we are tempted by them, we pray that we may overcome and win the victory.

Are there any Greek experts on here? In the original it says:

1533 eisphero {ice-fer’-o}
Meaning: 1) to bring into, in or to 2) to lead into
Usage: AV - bring 3, bring in 2, lead 2; 7

So it looks like it really says “do not lead us (bring us) into temptation…” Can this word or the sentence also be understood in another way?

Well First off not all non-catholic Christians believe in OSAS. Secondly, Even those who do believe that, also believe that to be Saved you must love God. Why would they want to wrong someone they Love?

Well First off not all non-catholic Christians believe in OSAS. Secondly, Even those who do believe that, also believe that to be Saved you must love God. Why would they want to wrong someone they Love?

A better translation might be, “Keep us from the [time of] trial” - the peirasmos, or trial, that is to precede the final establishment of the Kingship of God.

The problem with the translation “temptation” is, that it does not say all that is intended - the petition is more than a request to be saved from inward moral troubles. It is about much more than our spiritual wants. The whole prayer is eschatological; that is, it is about the coming of the Kingship of God, which is a major theme in the Gospel - the “Gospel of the Kingdom of God” is what Jesus preached (Mark 1) - that is, the “good news” that the Kingship of God was at hand :slight_smile:

The eschatological community is given an eschatological prayer by the eschatological Prophet - Who is a prophet, & far more than a prophet.

I can’t claim to speak for all my Protestant brothers and sisters, but I interpret it by going to where the Lord Jesus instructs us to pray:

Matthew 6:13 (New American Standard Version): “And lead (bring) us not into temptation (testing), but deliver us from evil.”

In Luke (11:4) it is stated: “And forgive us our sins; for we ourselves also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And bring us not into temptation”.

From what I understand, “lead” is the translation of the original Greek “eisphero” which can be better translated as ‘bring’. ‘Temptation’ is from Peirasmos (from the root Peirazo) meaning to try, make trial of, test; a putting to proof.

We’re told God does not “tempt” us in James (1:13-14) “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempteth no man but each man is tempted, when he is drawn away by his own lust, and enticed.”

We are also told that we will be given no temptation that we can not withstand (1 Corinthians 10:13: There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it).

Since God doesn’t tempt us and we aren’t tempted beyond our capacity, I feel Jesus is telling us in this part of the Lord’s Prayer to pray for delivery from our temptations (and tests in general) and evil.

This seems to hearken back to Psalms 19:13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous [sins]; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

I guess this is a long way to get to what others have cited more elegantly in previous posts: Please, God, keep me from falling prey to temptation and keep me from the evil one.

God Bless,
JW

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.