Do Not Want To Attend Local church Of Christ

I am in a dilemma and am asking for help on how to tactfully let my husband know I do not intend to attend his services at a local church of Christ this Sunday.His minister of a congregration of 6-8 adults will evidently be on vacation.My husband has been delegated to give the sermon and he has asked my presence to support him.Over the last 3 years my husband has continually attacked my Catholic faith and even so much has said he does not consider me a Christian.We have not brought religion in to our conversation in many months as it always ends in arguements.I feel if I would attend to support him I would be sending mixed messages to our teenage daughter and I would be acting in a hypocritical manner.

[quote=Anne]I am in a dilemma and am asking for help on how to tactfully let my husband know I do not intend to attend his services at a local church of Christ this Sunday.His minister of a congregration of 6-8 adults will evidently be on vacation.My husband has been delegated to give the sermon and he has asked my presence to support him.Over the last 3 years my husband has continually attacked my Catholic faith and even so much has said he does not consider me a Christian.We have not brought religion in to our conversation in many months as it always ends in arguements.I feel if I would attend to support him I would be sending mixed messages to our teenage daughter and I would be acting in a hypocritical manner.
[/quote]

The only right thing to do is not to attend. Do some apologetics on him, teach him about Church history and Christ’s promise to Peter, in which the Church is built on him. I don’t see how that marriage is working out.:frowning: I hope you got married validly in the Church. Remember, your faith goes above everything else in your life. It should be applied to all aspects in life. Remember as former Cardinal Ratzinger said in his homily prior to the conclave: “Love without Truth is blind.” I shall pray for you and your family. I hope and pray that your husband comes to the truth.

**:blessyou: **

[quote=Anne]I am in a dilemma and am asking for help on how to tactfully let my husband know I do not intend to attend his services at a local church of Christ this Sunday.His minister of a congregration of 6-8 adults will evidently be on vacation.My husband has been delegated to give the sermon and he has asked my presence to support him.Over the last 3 years my husband has continually attacked my Catholic faith and even so much has said he does not consider me a Christian.We have not brought religion in to our conversation in many months as it always ends in arguements.I feel if I would attend to support him I would be sending mixed messages to our teenage daughter and I would be acting in a hypocritical manner.
[/quote]

I understand your situation but I do not think you would be making a wise decision to not support your husband. You do not have to endorse his faith just by being present. For example, Pope John Paul II was present to many members of different faiths but did not compromise his faith. In fact, he promoted more unity by first understanding and then evangelizing. Remember, preach with your actions first, then words. Besides, your daughter will not want to be a part of a faith that promotes disunity. She needs a positive example of what it is to be Christian. Maybe explain to her that by going you will be there to support him as your husband and not his faith.

[quote=Roree]I understand your situation but I do not think you would be making a wise decision to not support your husband. You do not have to endorse his faith just by being present. For example, Pope John Paul II was present to many members of different faiths but did not compromise his faith. In fact, he promoted more unity by first understanding and then evangelizing. Remember, preach with your actions first, then words. Besides, your daughter will not want to be a part of a faith that promotes disunity. She needs a positive example of what it is to be Christian. Maybe explain to her that by going you will be there to support him as your husband and not his faith.
[/quote]

Roree is right on with this.

I think you should go:thumbsup:

Please forgive me, but he sounds like he’s being very close-minded and intolerant of your religious beliefs and completely averse to supporting you, while at the same time he wants you to support him as the dutiful wife.

I’d remind him that this is not 1965 and his Ralph Kramden attitude went out the window decades ago.

In my house, I’m converting to Catholic, my Mother is LDS and my wife is still learning, yet we all get along simply because we respect each others denominational differences.

I would simply point out to your husband Matthew 7:1-2. When he condmens you as not being Christian he’s really condmening himself and showing you just how much of a Christian he really is… and isnt.

God Bless.

Anne,

You should pray on this topic. Your marriage is not a contract between two parties - it is a covenant between three. You, your husband and God. You should support you husband in many things but, you should support God in ALL things. Is God first or your husband? Should God be second in your marriage?

I am married to a Protestant too. It can sometimes be difficult since they are not part of the body of Christ and in His visible Church. When I crossed the Tiber and became a ‘Born Again Catholic’ I swore I would never turn my back on Jesus again (as I often did as a Protestant) and that He would be first in my life - always! I follow Him now no matter what. The Faith Jesus gave me is more important then my life, it is more important then my job, it is more important then my country, my wife and even my kids. Jesus and complete loyalty to Him is more important then even my family.

There came a day after 15 years of marriage that I became ‘Catholic’ and loyal to God. I told my wife that I had to follow my Faith and I became more moral and loyal to Jesus. I won’t describe everything in my life (thank God) but much of what I accepted as OK as a Protestant I denied as a devout Christian (i.e. ‘Born Again’ Catholic). Abortion (infaticide), gay marriage, the pill, not going to church, faith alone, etc. all became wrong in my life. I began to pray for long periods(and on my knees). I studied Scripture in depth and when my wife made some absurd Protestant claim I would simply ask her, “Where is that in Scripture?” She would blow up because she knew it wasn’t but she believed it anyway like faith alone. I would tell her verses that contridicted what she believed and she would (and still does) ignore them. We got to the point where we all but stopped talking about religion. Many days she would say she wanted a divorace and I would reply,“Jesus is first in my life. I’ll move out but I won’t divorace you, you’ll have to divorace me.” I even had a place picked out to move to. All because Jesus is first in my life as a Catholic.

I recall the story in Maccabees where the family was tortured and killed one by one rather then compromise one miniscule thing in their Faith for God. The family was tortured and killed but they never gave in. They died Faithfull in totality to God. Perhaps that’s why Luther ripped out and trashed that book in his Protestant Bible? Read that story too, it may help you.

I go to mass every Sunday, even if I go to an apostate Protestant worship service. You should too. I do not try to convert my wife. I support her when it does not compromise my Faith. I do admit that I hate it when she “Tithes” MY MONEY to a apostate Baptist sect church. EEEHHHH. Shiver me timbers! My spine shivers at the thought. But, they are Christian too (See St. Jn 10:16). I do not sing heritical Protestant songs or pray with them when their prayer is full of herisey (you can tell it was a good prayer when I make the sign of the cross). I do not participate in Protestant services with communion or leading them, etc. I do pray and sing with them to God when proper.

When I told my wife that God came first and she was not at the top I cited Scripture. Some of which I listed below. My wife now understands that Jesus did not come to unite all families but to divide some. He did not come to save us all, only those that He chooses.

Pt 2,

Go with your husband but do not participate in the service. Sing and pray with them if the songs are not against the Faith Jesus gave us and let them know that. Watch out for songs that speak about symbolic communion, faith alone, etc. If you’re not sure then just don’t sing. Don’t sign yourself at the end of a prayer unless it is free from herisey. (Make the sign of the cross. Let other know this too. I have friends that watch to see if I sign myself and they smile and wink at me when I don’t!)

Lastly, make sure you wear a crucifix that stands out. Bring a large Bible that says “CATHOLIC” on the cover. Carry a rosary too. If they ask for your interpretation on Scripture then make sure you give them what our Church teaches and back it up with Scripture verses. Show them your Faith, and if necessary, use words! Don’t let them gang up on you. You’ll be a lamb in the wolf’s den. If your husband loves and respects you, he’ll help interceed/defend you from persecution and false witnessing.

One more thing, if your husband demands you go to his service then you should demand he go to Christs mass! You should not skip our mass to go with him. Whats fair is fair. Point this out to him too. Go to his apostate service and go to mass EVERY Sunday. If he loves you he should support you in your Faith too!

St Mt. 10:34-38 "34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. 35 For I have come to set a man ‘against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and one’s enemies will be those of his household.’ 37 “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.”

St. Lk 12:51-53 “51 Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; 53 a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”"

PS, After many battles my wife goes with me to mass nearly every Sunday and has all but stopped going to apostate Protestant services. She just thought it was too much trouble to go to both in one day so she compromised her Protestant faith yet again (or is that she kept it?:whistle: ). She is not close to being Catholic due mostly to Blessed Mary but she does admit numerous Protestant opinions are wrong and man-made. She even supports the Catholic Faith when she visits with her anti-Catholic bigot relatives now and in her BSF Bible study group too.

Who is first in your life, God and His Catholic Church or your husband and his schismatic apostate sect church?:hmmm:

Sorry, one more thing. Read my signature below my handle(forum name). Pray and reflect on that verse too.

2 Tim 4:6-7

If the church you and/or your husband will be going to is part “The United Church of Christ” (ucc.org) do not dare set foot in that unholy “church”. The UCC funds and surports the murder of the pre-born. And I’m not sure but I think they are linked money wise with Americans United for Separation of Church and State. I do know the executive director for USCS, Barry W. Lynn, was “ordained” in the UCC. And still is a UCC pastor!

Peace and Beware,
David Messick

And It is very sad that your husband DOUDTS you are even christian… you should talk with your hushand tell him how much you love Christ, how you where saved at your baptism, and are saved everyday carrying your cross with Christ, and how you will be saved in the end… talk with him what faith you have in common… like how Christ die for our sins the pain he must have felt… or the tritiny you should be able to talk of that for hours with out problems as long as you dont get off subject. Its been what 2,000 yrs and we still dont fully understand how 3 persons in one God works!? Talk of the things that unite you two, try your best to keep away from the things that divde you “a house divded cant not stand” and when he says your not christian say “I love you I love Christ, we both are christians” say it nicely and with love and end the talk…

Peace,
David Messick

[quote=Roman_Army]The only right thing to do is not to attend. Do some apologetics on him, teach him about Church history and Christ’s promise to Peter, in which the Church is built on him. I don’t see how that marriage is working out.:frowning: I hope you got married validly in the Church. Remember, your faith goes above everything else in your life. It should be applied to all aspects in life. Remember as former Cardinal Ratzinger said in his homily prior to the conclave: “Love without Truth is blind.” I shall pray for you and your family. I hope and pray that your husband comes to the truth.

**:blessyou: **
[/quote]

Thank you Roman Army.Our marriage is valid as we were married in the Catholic Church. My husband was Lutheran at the time. He attended Mass with me for 18 years. I only asked him twice during that time if he would like to learn more of the Catholic faith.Once when our daughter was preparing for 1st Communion and the other when his brother converted to the Catholic faith.He was added to the Lords Church after 1 servce by being baptized again because he was not properly baptized as an infant according to this minister.In my opinion he did not learn much in those 18 years but after 2 weeks in the church of Christ he seemed to know every thing about the Catholic Church.Thank you for praying for us. We need all that can be offered. Anne

The Church of Christ? Is it the same “type” of Church of Christ in the South? If so…they are very Anti-Catholic to the core. That’s where your DH is getting it.

Anyway, I’m unsure about your situation because of the very type of church that he may be attending…or preaching out…

A local Church of Christ sent out a “newletter” to all the residents in my area…It was talking about how we are all priests and we don’t need to call any one specific man a “priests”…etc…among many other things like outling how much it costs to have a child…although they were trying to point out that it really doesn’t matter the cost, that children are worth “it”…but in a sense, it was very “anti-family” and pro birth control…so just letting you know about the Church of Christ in my area.

My prayers are with you…if you hubby were still Lutheran/Presbyterian/Episcopalian or even Methodist…I would attend, but this Church of Christ…I’m just not sure.

Good luck…I will say a prayer for you.

This conjures up an interesting image of Ralph Kramden pleading with Alice to come with him as he preaches at a local church. Of course, in the Honeymooners plot it would be some get-rich-quick scheme.

I think you should go and make it very clear that your Catholic faith is important and if he does anything to demean or belittle Catholicism during his sermon, I would walk out.

[quote=Roree]I understand your situation but I do not think you would be making a wise decision to not support your husband. You do not have to endorse his faith just by being present. For example, Pope John Paul II was present to many members of different faiths but did not compromise his faith. In fact, he promoted more unity by first understanding and then evangelizing. Remember, preach with your actions first, then words. Besides, your daughter will not want to be a part of a faith that promotes disunity. She needs a positive example of what it is to be Christian. Maybe explain Mto her that by going you will be there to support him as your husband and not his faith.
[/quote]

Thank you Roree. It is just hard because I have a hard time accepting the fact they think we are not Christians.They even are accountable for how many non-Christians they have attend their services.I just didn’t want to add to their numbers I guess.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]Please forgive me, but he sounds like he’s being very close-minded and intolerant of your religious beliefs and completely averse to supporting you, while at the same time he wants you to support him as the dutiful wife.

I’d remind him that this is not 1965 and his Ralph Kramden attitude went out the window decades ago.

In my house, I’m converting to Catholic, my Mother is LDS and my wife is still learning, yet we all get along simply because we respect each others denominational differences.

I would simply point out to your husband Matthew 7:1-2. When he condmens you as not being Christian he’s really condmening himself and showing you just how much of a Christian he really is… and isnt.

God Bless.
[/quote]

Thank you Jo’s Dad.This reminds me of the one of two times I attended his services. The bible study ran over so I sat down and they were discussing end times. The minister immediately changed the subject to how wives should submit to their husbands.I vowed then never to attend again and I haven’t.Thanks for your advice on MT.7:1-2.

[quote=Knight4Christ]If the church you and/or your husband will be going to is part “The United Church of Christ” (ucc.org) do not dare set foot in that unholy “church”. The UCC funds and surports the murder of the pre-born. And I’m not sure but I think they are linked money wise with Americans United for Separation of Church and State. I do know the executive director for USCS, Barry W. Lynn, was “ordained” in the UCC. And still is a UCC pastor!

Peace and Beware,
David Messick
[/quote]

This church is a branch from the disciples of Christ.I do not believe it is affilliated with the UCC.

[quote=DJgang]The Church of Christ? Is it the same “type” of Church of Christ in the South? If so…they are very Anti-Catholic to the core. That’s where your DH is getting it.

Anyway, I’m unsure about your situation because of the very type of church that he may be attending…or preaching out…

A local Church of Christ sent out a “newletter” to all the residents in my area…It was talking about how we are all priests and we don’t need to call any one specific man a “priests”…etc…among many other things like outling how much it costs to have a child…although they were trying to point out that it really doesn’t matter the cost, that children are worth “it”…but in a sense, it was very “anti-family” and pro birth control…so just letting you know about the Church of Christ in my area.

My prayers are with you…if you hubby were still Lutheran/Presbyterian/Episcopalian or even Methodist…I would attend, but this Church of Christ…I’m just not sure.

Good luck…I will say a prayer for you.
[/quote]

They are definitely VERY anti-Catholic.You speak about priests.We all do have a level of the priesthood that we participate in.I also know they send many flyer type articles through the mail.Thank you for your prayers…

[quote=Malachi4U]Anne,

You should pray on this topic. Your marriage is not a contract between two parties - it is a covenant between three. You, your husband and God. You should support you husband in many things but, you should support God in ALL things. Is God first or your husband? Should God be second in your marriage?

I am married to a Protestant too. It can sometimes be difficult since they are not part of the body of Christ and in His visible Church. When I crossed the Tiber and became a ‘Born Again Catholic’ I swore I would never turn my back on Jesus again (as I often did as a Protestant) and that He would be first in my life - always! I follow Him now no matter what. The Faith Jesus gave me is more important then my life, it is more important then my job, it is more important then my country, my wife and even my kids. Jesus and complete loyalty to Him is more important then even my family.

There came a day after 15 years of marriage that I became ‘Catholic’ and loyal to God. I told my wife that I had to follow my Faith and I became more moral and loyal to Jesus. I won’t describe everything in my life (thank God) but much of what I accepted as OK as a Protestant I denied as a devout Christian (i.e. ‘Born Again’ Catholic). Abortion (infaticide), gay marriage, the pill, not going to church, faith alone, etc. all became wrong in my life. I began to pray for long periods(and on my knees). I studied Scripture in depth and when my wife made some absurd Protestant claim I would simply ask her, “Where is that in Scripture?” She would blow up because she knew it wasn’t but she believed it anyway like faith alone. I would tell her verses that contridicted what she believed and she would (and still does) ignore them. We got to the point where we all but stopped talking about religion. Many days she would say she wanted a divorace and I would reply,“Jesus is first in my life. I’ll move out but I won’t divorace you, you’ll have to divorace me.” I even had a place picked out to move to. All because Jesus is first in my life as a Catholic.

I recall the story in Maccabees where the family was tortured and killed one by one rather then compromise one miniscule thing in their Faith for God. The family was tortured and killed but they never gave in. They died Faithfull in totality to God. Perhaps that’s why Luther ripped out and trashed that book in his Protestant Bible? Read that story too, it may help you.

I go to mass every Sunday, even if I go to an apostate Protestant worship service. You should too. I do not try to convert my wife. I support her when it does not compromise my Faith. I do admit that I hate it when she “Tithes” MY MONEY to a apostate Baptist sect church. EEEHHHH. Shiver me timbers! My spine shivers at the thought. But, they are Christian too (See St. Jn 10:16). I do not sing heritical Protestant songs or pray with them when their prayer is full of herisey (you can tell it was a good prayer when I make the sign of the cross). I do not participate in Protestant services with communion or leading them, etc. I do pray and sing with them to God when proper.

When I told my wife that God came first and she was not at the top I cited Scripture. Some of which I listed below. My wife now understands that Jesus did not come to unite all families but to divide some. He did not come to save us all, only those that He chooses.
[/quote]

Malachi 4 U Thank you for all your energy in anwsering this post.My husband sounds just like you but only in the non-denominational mind-set.We could destroy each other with all of the verse slinging so that is why I chose to stop.When you speak of tithe money I recall how I said I would not support his new found faith with my income. so after about 18 years of myslf solely supporting our family financially my husband turned over his share of a so called partnership to his brother.He now receives a paycheck and any church would welcome his very generous tithe each week. Thank you for your advice and Bible verses.I do now think I will attend but I know it is going to be difficult. Thank you for your prayers. Anne

I think the answer is simple. Since you have to attend Mass this weekend, anyway, tell him to attend your Mass on Saturday Evening, and then you would LOVE to hear him preach on Sunday!!! (Let him know that the church is properly grounded should God attempt to strike him down).

I, too, would bring a Rosary and a Catholic Bible, and I would warn him, that any anti-Catholic rhetoric would find you heading for the exit!

Good Luck, and let us know how it turned out.

NotWorthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.