Do nuns play video games?

Question in the title

[quote="mgunn88, post:1, topic:222460"]
Question in the title

[/quote]

That depends on the nun, but I'm sure you will find one who does in their free time.

[quote="Theophorus, post:2, topic:222460"]
That depends on the nun, but I'm sure you will find one who does in their free time.

[/quote]

I highly doubt they'll be a lot of them though and I don't think their video game selection would be wide.

P.S.

On the extremely off-chance that this would happen though, I would be very shocked, nay, outright humiliated, if I were to get beaten in an arcade fighting game (e.g. Tekken 6) only to look across and find my opponent was a nun. >_<lll

I'm sure that some do, but most video games are geared towards men, so they (nuns) may not like them.

Lol maybe they would like the Wii. If I was a nun, I would want to play Final Fantasy :p

[quote="mgunn88, post:5, topic:222460"]
Lol maybe they would like the Wii. If I was a nun, I would want to play Final Fantasy :p

[/quote]

that reminds me, I may have actually played wii bowling with a nun I know. It's the type of thing she would do but I can't remember exactly if she did or not!

[quote="mgunn88, post:5, topic:222460"]

[/quote]

White Mage, anyone?

[quote="fons_vitae, post:7, topic:222460"]
White Mage, anyone?

[/quote]

You can even get bolder than that and go for Paladin you know. ;)

I know a couple of Secular Priests who play video Games and a Religious Sister who quite possibly has a Farmville addiction :), don't think you'd catch her playing Teken though.

[quote="poor_sinner, post:9, topic:222460"]
I know a couple of Secular Priests who play video Games and a Religious Sister who quite possibly has a Farmville addiction :), don't think you'd catch her playing Teken though.

[/quote]

what exactly is a secular priest?

There has been a Nuns Having Fun calendar since at least 2004 -- no reason a future calendar can't show nuns playing video games ;-)

[quote="traillius, post:10, topic:222460"]
what exactly is a secular priest?

[/quote]

A priest who doesn't belong to a religious order i.e. a diocesan priest can also be referred to as a secular priest.

[quote="fons_vitae, post:7, topic:222460"]
White Mage, anyone?

[/quote]

:rotfl:
You know, I always wondered about those White "Mages". ;)

(There's a convent/chapel in the SNES version of Legend of Zelda, actually)

The last time I visited my sister's house for a family meal, she got out her "Wii" console and we had a few games of bowling and baseball.:)

I doubt that many sisters would choose to spend their free time down an arcade, shooting things or fighting things as it would be a rather frivolous way to spend any money she might have.

Nuns have more important things than playing silly video games… specifically PRAYING! Nuns should be praying, not playing, and when they have recreation, they spend it by pactually playing and laughing with each other.

[quote="philipmarie, post:15, topic:222460"]
Nuns have more important things than playing silly video games... specifically PRAYING! Nuns should be praying, not playing, and when they have recreation, they spend it by pactually playing and laughing with each other.

[/quote]

Sorry but there can be playing and laughing in video games too. Just look at a Wii Sports session. :P

:D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4913877848_c0efded642_z.jpg

I bet that picture's photoshopped.:rolleyes: Anyway, videogames are pointless. I bet that if the canonized saints lived today, they would not play video games because they are totally pointless and superflous. How do you expect to be a man or woman of prayer when you have your head concentrating so much on accomplishing the goals which the video game sets you to do?

I doubt that religious would be playing video games all that much considering they cannot own property. You need a tv, console, or PC, not to mention everything else, to play video games.

Even as an ordinary lay person I am torn concerning video games, especially Gears of War, and my faith. One the one hand, the social interactions and potential for sharing of faith that games bring are good, yet it is also true that the games themselves don't really serve any long-term useful purpose.

Regardless someone who has consecrated their life to God would probably have little time or patience, much less permission or reason, to play Xbox Live or anything serious like a secularized person such as myself. :shrug:

[quote="philipmarie, post:18, topic:222460"]
I bet that picture's photoshopped.:rolleyes: Anyway, videogames are pointless. I bet that if the canonized saints lived today, they would not play video games because they are totally pointless and superflous. How do you expect to be a man or woman of prayer when you have your head concentrating so much on accomplishing the goals which the video game sets you to do?

[/quote]

What about fun and Joy? these are also the hallmarks of the great saints

I guess that Belloc was wrong when he said:

"Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!"

Or is poetry totally pointless and superfluous as well?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.