Do other Churches/Relgions have Alter Servers?

Hi! I am new here. I teach high school CCD at our small Parish. I have the kids give ME homework on topics they would like to know about their Religion. In the past few years this has worked very well; 1. It encourages class participation
2. It teaches them what THEY want to know!
I have a very loosely structured class period and the conversations can get very lively! But this question has me stumped as I have not been able to find anything on the internet about it. Actually, I think this year’s class is going to be tough! Here are some of the questions asked:
Why do people think we worship Mary?
Do other Churches have Servers?
Do other Churches have Confession?
If you can help me cheat on my homework at all, I would really apprechiate it!

Because they give to God what we give to Mary - prayers and hymns. Because we give God true worship on the Altar, we aren’t confused that singing hymns and saying prayers asking for Mary’s intercession or praising her virtues is “worship” because we know what worship really looks like - and it’s not that. :wink:

Do other Churches have Servers?

No. Most other churches don’t even have altars that you could serve at, and those that do don’t have altar servers because their order of worship is different than ours - there is no book for you to hold, no crucifix for you to carry, no bell for you to ring, and no credence table for you to bring things to the priest from at the start of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, or to put them back on after the Liturgy of the Eucharist is over.

Do other Churches have Confession?

Lutherans and Anglicans do, but they don’t use it very much, because they don’t consider it a Sacrament, and they don’t really think it’s needed. (Which is kind of sad for them, isn’t it?)

The Orthodox have Confession to a priest like we do, and they also consider it a Sacrament.

Of course other churches have altAr (with an a) servers. The Eastern Orthodox, and Eastern Rite Catholics would be very interested to hear they have no altars and no servers:rolleyes: .

Episcopalians have altar boys and girls as well, they have book bearers, boat boys, thurifers, torch bearers, cross bearers and everything, just like Catholics.

My friend’s daughter is an acolyte (sp?) at their Methodist Chruch.

They also have an altar.

:slight_smile: CM

Lutherans have both acolytes and confession.

Acolytes are usually boys and girls in their last year of confirmation study and confession is, unfortunately, rarely used though it is available.

People think you worship Mary because, in the Protestant conception, prayer is an aspect of worship and you pray to her.

Depends on which Anglicans you talk to. Most Anglicans not far over on the evangelical side certainly acknowledge Confession as a Sacrament, one of the seven. And the corporate form of confession and absolution is part of every Anglican Mass.

Individual auricular confession is less common among Anglicans generally, but very common among the Anglo-Catholic variety.

GKC

I know they have altars - but I thought it was forbidden for the laity, and especially children, to go up on the Altar? Isn’t that why they have the Altar Doors?

Episcopalians have altar boys and girls as well, they have book bearers, boat boys, thurifers, torch bearers, cross bearers and everything, just like Catholics.

I was not aware of that - the ones I’ve attended had only priests on their altars.

I believe the Anglicans do consider the Holy Eucharist a sacrament. I know that High Church does. The Lutherans do also to a certain extent but they refer to it as Consubstantiation.

It depends on the Anglican, I suppose. One church I visited, the “priest” said, “Receive this symbol of the Lord’s body” to those who were receiving Holy Communion.

I visited two high Episcopal churches, St. Mark and St. Anne and both regard the Roman Transubstantion of the Eucharist. They still say the Mass although in English on a daily basis.

On any given Sunday we have from 6 to 10 altar boys serving on the altar. All have their jobs: Fans, north and south doors, censer, acolytes and communion assistants.

Alter servers like Alter boys who come around and take collection?

Those aren’t Altar servers - they’re ushers.

Altar servers are children who serve at the Altar - they assist the priest by carrying things and holding things for him during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Sometimes they might assist in the carrying of the gifts, but that would be the only time they might leave the altar.

Oh ok. Yes in Islam we something have this. They are grown ups though. They bring the Imam coffee, his khtbah(religious talk) papers etc. The Qur’an also states that the Imama and the ones at prayer should be guarded while the Jumma(congregation) prays and when tehy are done, they should pray.

Most protestants don’t think anyone in heaven can hear them except the Godhead. They believe Angels and Saints can see and hear us only if they happen to be in the area of the particular human speaking or if God is showing them something specific. So to pray to them or sing to them seems as odd as me talking to my dad (who is in another state) without the use of a telephone/email/postal service etc. I can say, “Hey Dad! Hi there, I love you!” but he won’t hear me - he is very far away. When Catholics say Saints have the ability to hear them, to protestants, it sounds like they are ascribing attributes of God to them. Often it’s explained to Protestants that Catholics are asking them to pray for them, the same as if I ask my Dad to pray for me. The main difference is, I ask my dad in person. :wink: So to sum it up… the beliefs about the nature and abilities of God and the Saints/Angels in Heaven are different, causing misunderstandings.

Some do, Some don’t

Many do but have less importance on it. Even my non-denominational church will occasionally preach on how good confession to people is. But it’s not a requirement and there is no specific procedure or specific person to confess to. (Unless you count confessing to someone you wronged)

Thanks everyone! Class is tonight, so I am really glad to have some answers! Thanks again!

The Methodists have altar servers who are called acolytes. My friend, who is Methodist, told me a funny story about this. He and his brother were “volunteered” by their parents to be acolytes at the Christmas Eve candlelight service one year. They had been drinking quite a bit of wassail before the service. Then they were notified that they were the acolytes for that night! He said that lighting the altar candles was quite interesting! So much for the Methodist temperance movement!:rotfl:

Not all altar servers are children, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.