Do our words have power?

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

If we speak positive things into our future, will positive things happen?

Not necessarily but our words shape the world around us little.

The tongue is the glory of man and the honor of the body. Shall it then be misused in unwholesome speech? When the tongue becomes corrupt it defileth the whole body, filling it with unrighteousness. See James 3:6. Loath all filthiness; let your speech be always full of love and to the edification of those who hear you, that they may be strengthened thereby. Use the gift of speech as a means of rebuking the idle, of instructing the ignorant, and of comforting the troubled. God will reward you with a fuller measure of His gifts. See Mark 4:25.

Well I thinly what happens here is that our words reflect what is in our hearts and mind. A person filled up with hate is going to reflect that In their words in the same way a person who lives with Christ present in their mind and is filled will love is going to reflect.kindness and love through their words, and consequently someone who reflects hate in their world OS going to be surrounded by not very good things while a person who reflects love and kindness and follows Jesus path is going to be surrounded of good things.

Absolutely.

I can tell you the sandwich you ate for lunch was spoiled and cause all sorts of chemical reactions in your stomach.

I can say the words “I love you” and cause all sorts of electrical, chemical and thermal reactions in your body.

I can even store this energy in a book. You can read it hundreds of years later, long after I’m dead and and that power will still have effect. Even a small group of words can have enough energy to change the world.

Yes, but not in in the way “Word of Faith” type preachers say they do.

Yesterday I was reading Mark 7 . I think it goes to the heart of your question. From the NIV Jesus says…
20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.