Do Pentecostals celebrate the feast of Pentecost?

I’m not trying to be funny. I really am curious.

Thanks
A

Hi Garamond!

I can’t speak for most Pentecostals, but I was raised in the *Assemblee di Dio in Italia *(Assemblies of God in Italy), and they rejected any kind of feast possible. Pentecost would be too associated with Roman Catholicism, so I assure you it would be rejected.

When I was little the ADI refused to even celebrated Christmas, considering it ‘Romish’, though that had changed.

Well some Pentacostals do have a Pentacost Sunday. It all depends on the founder.:smiley:

Excuse me for misspelling the name. I have no idea how that happened.

Apparently I’ve been thinking about fonts lol.

You have a good eye for fonts. Garamond is, in fact, the font I was using. :slight_smile:

It is interesting what Pentecostals choose to accept or reject because of its similarity to Catholic practice. They have no problem speaking in ‘tongues,’ which, if I’m not mistaken, is something that some Catholics do as well, and yet they don’t observe the very feast for which they are named.

Do most Pentecostals not celebrate Christmas?

Thanks.
A

Pentecost is Bible and dates to after the Cross. Whats your view of this event?

God Bless, Gary

Hey ALGERNON (this time I know it’s right, Lol).

I would say some wouldn’t precisely because the Feast of the Pentecost is too much of a ‘Catholic’ practice.

It’s true that the Catholic Church is favorable to speaking in tongues, but the Pentecostals I know would tell you that is because of the positive influence Pentecostals have had the Catholic Church.

As for Christmas: most Pentecostals do, in the USA, celebrate Christmas. In Italy they are much more radical. Here’s a brief snippet concerning that:
Le chiese ADI non festeggiano Natale, Pasqua ne tanto meno la Pentecoste (festa in uso presso altre chiese pentecostali). Inoltre, dato che non esiste la venerazione per i Santi, non festeggiano l’onomastico e altre feste correlate e quelle legate al culto dei morti. Una delle usanze dei membri ADI, e di alcune chiese pentecostali italiane, è l’usanza di salutarsi dicendosi pace. Le donne e gli uomini comunemente non si tatuano (Levitico 19:28).*

“The ADI churches [Assemblies of God in Italy] do not celebrate Christmas, Easter, and not even Pentecost (feast celebrated at other pentecostal churches). Further, since there is no veneration of the saints, they do not celebrate Name Day or other feasts associated with those of the veneration of the dead. One of the practices of ADI members of of some other Italian pentecostal churches is that of greeting one another saying ‘peace.’ Men and women usualy do not tattoo themselves (Leviticus 19:28).”

Personally I’ve never been to a Pentecostal church that celebrates Pentecost, not even in the United States. But others can share whether they have or not. It certainly isn’t hard and fast dogma to do so, I suppose.

I’m a bad Pentecostal because I’m shifting away from that movement. So I’m probably the wrong person to ask.

But I think it is a good feast and should be celebrated. Given that it’s the entire basis of the Pentecostal movement.

Pentecost is the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the Apostles, fifty days after the Resurrection of Christ. Peter then spoke to the crowds and the actual Church started to grow though the converstion of Christians.

In other words if this didn’t happen? There would be no Christian Church anywhere on earth. This account is detailed in the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 2.

Its not a Catholic event its a true Christian feast which is also has been part of the Orthodox Church in history.

During this period all Christians were under constant persecution by Rome. :slight_smile:

God Bless, Gary

I know, Gary.

But no church I’ve ever been to has ever celebrated Pentecost. I’ve grown up around Evangelical circles, in particular Pentecostal.Never seen it celebrated once.

Fair enough, I just find it facinating that all christians don’t at least acknowledge there own history.

God Bless, Gary

The AOG in Australia celebrate Christmas and Easter but thats all.

They use Colossians to say that feast days are worthless (I know, U’d think Pentecost Sunday would be the exception but all of them are out).

Hah most of them wouldn’t even know who St. Irenaeus was. I know. I was one of them.

I see what you saying, yes Colossians was used to transfer authority of the church and validate their position. I just checked one out speaking on You Tube.

God Bless, Gary

I grew up in one of the larger American Pentecostal denominations (the Church of God), and I remember that the Sunday School lessons and usually the sermons on Pentecost Sunday were about the events of the original Pentecost. It wasn’t celebrated as a “feast”, but it was commemorated.

That said, one of the things that still puzzle me about my adopted faith is this: Why are certain days called “feasts” when there is no feasting? A “feast” to me means a big covered-dish dinner in the church fellowship hall :smiley:

I was just thinking about this. I’m thinking of tuning into the protestant radio stations today to see what the preaching topics will be.

Joe

That’s understandable, Courier New. :wink:

It’s fascinating and sad that so many Christians don’t know their history. And, at least according to my experience as one who grew up among Evangelicals, I can tell you that there is not even a little bit of interest in learning that history.

Good point, Dave. A *feast *implies a period of fasting beforehand. Which makes me wonder: do Pentecostals fast?

Thanks,
A

Nope. I have gotten into enough arguments with my father about this. Apparently the Lord didn’t “reveal” everything to them. They were wrong, because they are fallible men. The Bible alone is sufficient, no need to consult history.

So why didn’t Martin Luther get it right either (he believed in the real presence, soundly rejected by Pentecostals)?

Because the Lord was working to give the revelation to someone else.

Ugh.

Some do, when the Spirit moves them, but they don’t tie it so specific seasons or days, like Lent or Good Friday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.