Do people who commit suicide to to heaven?

If someone commits suicide, will he or she still go to heaven?

No way to know. We don’t know anyone’s heart.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches:

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life.
It is gravely contrary to the just love of self.
It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations.
Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal.
Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

I think it would make it harder but as the Catechism says, people who have committed suicide can still be forgiven by God.

This is the third thread currently running on the same topic.

A suicide may or may not be a mortal sin depending on situation as shown in the CCC sections quoted by E_7.

However, two things should be borne in mind:

• Humans cannot say if a person who has committed suicide, or died by any means, has been saved because only God knows the state of their soul at death.

• Even if the suicide is not a mortal sin due to reduced culpability that does not mean the person is saved. We do not know (only God knows) if that person was already in a state of mortal sin prior to their suicide, and if they were and died unrepentant then it makes no difference if the act of suicide was a mortal sin or not.

This = :thumbsup:

The person may repent just before death.

So, does that mean that if I jump off a cliff and say the Act of Contrition on the way down that I’m OK salvation-wise?

There is no fooling God, if your dishonest God will know, but if your heart is filled with remorse and you cry for Christ to forgive you, God will save you.
At least that’s how I understand things.

But again, I think Seraphim73 is spot on.
Judgement are non of our business, thats Gods job, not our.

I have a grandson who suffers from mental illness and has attempted to take his own life twice. As you can see this is a topic that is very dear to me. I ask our Parrish Priest this question and he assured me that a person who is mental ill and not able to discern this sin at the time of their death, will be in the grace of God.

If there was sincere contrition you’d be in much better shape than had you not said it.

Looks an awful lot like presumption to me. We really know very little about God. What we do know is taught by the Catholic Church. Fear is the beginning of respect. I think we ought to fear God to a certain extent. Like a good friend you would never disrespect because you know he won’t let that go unanswered.

Ah, I see that all questions have been answered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.