Do priests go to confession?

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. As we are all sinners, where do priests go to confession and who do they confess to?

They absolutely do. They confess to other priests.

This goes for the Pope, too, who also confesses. And in case you are wondering, no, there is no requirement that priests confess to bishops, bishops to cardinals, and cardinals to the Pope, or anything like that. The Pope’s regular confessor is, I believe, an ordinary priest.

Most priests go to a neighboring parish priest and they hear each other’s confessions. Most bishops have a confessor who is usually a priest.

I believe the Pope confesses to a Dominican Friar… I may be wrong.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:4, topic:298649"]
Most priests go to a neighboring parish priest and they hear each other's confessions. Most bishops have a confessor who is usually a priest.

[/quote]

what do you mean by usually bishops are also priests.

but anyway to the OP, priest will mostly go to confession with their spiritual director.

The Conventual Franciscans are the confessors for the Vatican

[quote="JD27076, post:5, topic:298649"]
I believe the Pope confesses to a Dominican Friar... I may be wrong.

[/quote]

I thought he was a Franciscan.

I was unable to find a record of any designated confessor for the Pope. This article says that the position of "Confessor of the Pontifical Family" was abolished in 1968 by Paul VI's motu proprio Pontificalis Domus.

Catholic Answers Apologist Michelle Arnold says that the Pope confesses to whichever priest he wants.

To their brother priests. Our priest says he goes about monthly. There is a priest in our diocese designated “minister to priests” and his office is at our parish. Our priest says he goes t him, and if he is not available, he has a friend that he calls.

Absolutely! Even the Holy Father goes to confession! We all need it :smiley: :blush:

if they commit a mortal sin they need to go to confession

Our Fraternity priest informed us that because priests offer the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, they must be as well-disposed as possible. He stated that they are required to go to confession weekly.

Priests are human, thus they sin too and need to go to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.