Do priests screen for consanguinity level 4?

Synod of Trullan (7th century), before any screening methods, strictly forbids certain unions, one being marriage between first cousins. See Canon 54:
It seemed good to us to set it forth a little more clearly, decreeing that from this time forth he who shall marry the daughter of his father’s brother; or a father or son with a mother and daughter; or a father and son with two girls who are sisters; or a mother and daughter with two brothers; or two brothers with two sisters, fall under the canon of seven years, provided they openly separate from this unlawful union.

I can only repeat that I married a first cousin with a dispensation so obviously something has changed over the past 1300 years. But after half a century of happy marriage I am not intending to revisit our decision.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.