Do Protestants believe in Sanctifying grace ? Does it play a salvific role. If not, why not ?

Sanctifying grace defined: The state of ongoing, direct communion of life and love with God … that flows subsequent to ‘actual’ rebirth/adoptive grace.

Of course they do. Here is a (very brief) summary of what Methodists embrace about grace and salvation.

O+

Well, at least the Methodist do :smiley: The Methodists & Catholic brethren need to join ranks … and set a ecumenical precedent

Below are a couple of excerpts from the website of a Lutheran congregation that I think explains well and succinctly “the state of ongoing . . . communion of life and love with God.” Whether it would meet the standard of “direct,” which I left out in the preceding quote, I’m not sure, since Lutherans believe God operates through “means” that he has established (some protestants believe God operates “immediately”; i.e., without an intervening medium or agent).

The members of Grace Lutheran Church are encouraged to use the Means of Grace as often as possible. We use God’s Word when we hear sermons that faithfully reflect the Word of God. We use it when we hear or read the Scriptures, and when we have devotions at home. We use our Baptisms when we daily repent of our sins and take comfort in the fact that God has baptized us into the atoning blood of our Savior. The same goes for Absolution: we receive forgiveness from the pastor as from God Himself. We hear Gods’ Word, and it directs us to the grace and forgiveness that became ours when God baptized us. Finally, in the Lord’s Supper, we receive the forgiveness of our sins when we receive the very body and blood of Jesus that He gave for our sins. All of these things create or strengthen our faith in Jesus. This faith is the very thing that saves us. . .

Through frequent and regular use of God’s Means of Grace, and through no other means, God has promised to maintain in us a strong faith in the atoning blood of Jesus. Jesus said to those who believed in Him, “If you abide in My word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” The Means of Grace invite us to Jesus. They impart the forgiveness of sins to us. They transport us to the cross of Christ, and ultimately to Heaven. They give us a new life in our Savior while we remain here on Earth. In short, they are an invitation, impartation, transportation, and vivification. They are the funnel or conduit through which God has chosen to bring us His grace from the cross of Calvary. What a comfort to know that God has given us such a powerful gift! And what a comfort that He does not require us to find Heaven by ourselves, but brings His grace and forgiveness to us in such a tangible and reliable way! grace-els.org/mog.php

Sorry for the length of my preceding post. I edited it to cut it in half, but found I had exceeded the twenty minute time limit before I was ready to save the changes (at least I learned something new today!).

So, Grace Lutherans believe in secondary graces, sanctifying/salvific graces … & the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Sorry if there is some confusion. There is not a sub-group called “Grace Lutherans”; I just liked the way that local church explained the means of grace on their webpage. All Lutheran churches so far as I know believe in those same means of grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.