Do Protestants believe that the Temple will get rebuilt?

Hi all, I read an article that stated, and I can’t :banghead: remember my source that Evangelical groups (Protestants) believe that the Temple in Jerusalem needs to be rebuilt before Jesus can return. I would like to get this confirmed by some other Protestants before I copy and paste that info to my brain :slight_smile:

I’m asking because I recall that when I was with the Catholic bible group back then, and we discussed that passage where Jesus said that no stone would remain in Jerusalem, that I answered that it meant that the Temple would be destroyed BUT that it would be rebuilt, and at that very moment everyone I was friends with looked at me kind of shocked, and all four people said with one voice: “The Temple won’t be rebuilt!” They were that decisive and everyone was looking at me as if I was accused of something, that I didn’t/couldn’t say anything further about that.

Now I read that Protestants say that Jesus can’t return without the Temple being rebuilt first. I’ve always thought that since both parties are Christians and are basically pretty similar in their belief, that they would agree on the Temple topic, too, and I would like to know what gives?

There are certain protestants that believe in the “Rapture” theory. Part of this belief is the anti-Christ will rebuild the old Temple…and this means it is the time of the final tribulation and the final coming of Christ after 7 yrs or so after the Rapture.

This are for starters:

americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac1005.asp

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=5788

Some Protestants do believe that. Generally, they are known as “dispensationalists” or “pre-millenials.” Check out these articles from Wikipedia, which do a better job of explaining it than I can:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Temple#Christian_views

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism#Eschatology

The belief comes from 2 thes 2:3-4.

Also, it’s important to note the Jews are awaiting their messiah and believe he will not come until the temple is built.

That’s because Malachi states that the LORD will come to the temple (3:1); therefore it must be standing.

As to Protestants, some believe this, some don’t.

ICXC NIKA

I also found these sites interesting:

beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/End-Times/On-The-Road-To-Armageddon.aspx

templeinstitute.org/

As others have said, this tends to be a belief held by premillenial dispensationalists (the ones who believe in the rapture, as popularized by the Left Behind series of novels).

As someone who grew up being taught this version of eschatological speculation (and who continues to believe in elements of it but certainly is not dogmatic about it), I do believe the Temple will be rebuilt.

When Israel was established as a state in 1948, the evangelical world was ecstatic. To us, it was a fulfillment of prophecy. Part of the re-establishment of Israel as a geopolitical entity is the rebuilding of the Temple.

The typical belief is that it will take a miracle to make this happen and this where the anti-Christ comes in. He will work out a peace agreement between the Muslim and Jews and somehow get the Temple built on the spot where it needs to be. For a while, everything will go good, and the Jews will worship as they are supposed to. But then, the Beast will set up his image in the Temple, defiling it. (The Abomination of Desolation). He will demand that the Jews worship it. They will not. And so they will be slaughtered. Christians will also be slaughtered. A lot of people will be slaughtered. I’m a little fuzzy on the details but I believe this is suppose to lead up to the Battle of Armageddon. God wins, the devil is defeated and the New Heavens and New Earth are established. Jerusalem is the center of the world . . . .

I remember seeing a lot of programs on channels like TBN that always featured updates on the restoration process (such as proving by DNA who the Kohanim are, rediscovering animals required for the rituals that were thought to be extinct, etc. etc.)

I once believed the Temple would be rebuilt. I also once believed that Israel back in the land was the handy-work of God. Now I don’t see either that way. Israel is back in the land thanks to opportunistic WW1 funding in exchange for the land. Essentially the restoration of Israel is redundant to God’s plan of salvation and the Kingdom of God which is not of this world. The Temple is also redundant to God’s plan of salvation and the Kingdom of God and was merely a representation of something far superior which is also not of this world.

There has been an on-going work to rebuild the temple. And it isn’t just a matter of placing stone upon stone. The oils, the garments, the red heifers, the dyes used, the priests raised in the prescribed ways, the list is long and it is exact. Some of these hurdles were overcome in ways that only God could have been involved since it was a matter of extinct plants to fish and lost formula for oils and making the tools to make the holy things of the temple.

Of course the biggest to be overcome is that fact of what to do about space on the temple mount and getting past the islamists, But God told John in Revelation to measure just for the temple and leave out the outer court because that will be given over to the gentiles and there really is plenty of room that way.

So, when Jesus comes on that White Horse with His armies behind Him, He shall touch down on Mount of Olives and face right towards the Eastern Gate, which has never been destroyed. He shall march straight through that gate , it having been opened by the earthquake created by His feet touching earth. He shall go and sit upon David’s Throne in Jerusalem in the temple. And He shall rule with a Rod of Iron for 1000 years.

Now, whether you accept the 1000 year part or not, and whether you are pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, or no-tribulation, It is a certainly that this temple must be built. And David’s Throne be set up for our Lord to sit and rule from. From the temple. In Jerusalem.

That is what is promised. That is what is Written. That is what shall occur.

I am sorry but it will not be from Rome. Rome by then will have been destroyed. Jesus will return to His City Where God has Written His Name. Jesus’ brethren will see Him for Who He is and accept their Messiah- Amen to that.

Most of these prophecies to be filled are in revelation, but some are scattered through out the other prophets and Words of Jesus Himself.

We all, all of us Christians, look forward to that wonderful and awesome day when he returns, but I guess the particulars surrounding His Coming, has been viewed differently by many throughout the centuries.

Thank you for the links. I read it all, and if this was for starters I must say that I didn’t find it easy to wrap my head around it.

Thank you :slight_smile:

True, but those Dispenationalists also believe that their messiah won’t come either until the Temple is rebuilt, no? :confused:

We’re on the same page up until this point. :slight_smile:

sounds familiar

also sounds familiar

also sounds familiar

I would be intersted in that part where they rediscover animals. Thanks for this interesting contribution.

Thank you for your kind contribution.
So all Christians wait for Jesus’ return, but only some dispensationalistic Protestants believe that he will rule sitting on the throne of David in the 3rd Temple? Will the third Temple, according to your belief, be destroyed also?

Did Martin Luther, their Christian leader, not say anything about the rapture?

What do Catholics believe will happen when Jesus returns? Where will he reign from if there’s no Temple?

The Catholic, and historic view held by all Christians right up until a wacky Irish minister came up with the entire drawn out dispensationalist view was much truncated and simpler: Jesus returns, the end of the age is reached, and judgment day happens and a new Heaven and new Earth are brought into bring with the old passing away. Dispensationalism is an idea around 150 years old.

All Dispensationalists are Protestant, but not all Protestants are Dispensationalist. Luther and Calvin were both Amillennialists and I think you’ll find that their eschatology wasn’t really all that different from Catholic or Orthodox eschatology. Later on you find some Postmillennialism showing up in Presbyterianism for a time, although these days you really only see it among the really hard core Christian Reconstructionist types. Historical Premillennialism (that is, Premillennialism that is not Dispensational), started to resurge in the 19th century with the emergence of the Millerites and the Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and so on.

Dispensationalism, on the other hand, is a relatively new invention. It emerged largely from the teaching of one man: John Nelson Darby, one of the early leaders of the Plymouth Brethren. It remained largely contained within the Plymouth Brethren and few other Independent Fundamental Baptist types until the 1970s when a great many Evangelicals in general and the Jesus People movement in particular latched onto Hal Lindsey’s “The Late Great Planet Earth.” The notion didn’t really enter the popular consciousness, however, until Tim LaHaye (an old school Dispensationalist of the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist type) published the Left Behind series.

One of the features of this later day Dispensationalist Eschatology was a distinct emphasis on the restoration of the State of Israel in 1948 as the start of the “prophetic clock” leading us inexorably towards Doomsday. They say this on the basis of Christ’s Olivet Discourse in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. Specifically, they hang their eschatological hats on the pin of Christ’s warning that “this generation (i.e. the generation that sees the return of Israel, the re-establisment of the Temple, and the Abomination of Desolation) will not pass away until all these things (i.e. the Rapture, the Tribulation, and the Battle of Armageddon) take place.”

Specifically, the chain of logic is thus: They believe that the Abomination of Desolation talked about by Daniel and Christ is the Anti-Christ proclaiming himself to be God in the Temple. That, obviously, can’t happen unless the Temple is rebuilt. The Temple can’t be rebuilt until the nation of Israel is re-established. The nation has been re-estabished and preparations are already under way to rebuild the Temple (seriously, they’ve already made most of the Temple implements and have started training Kohens to serve as an honest to goodness, Old Testament, Aaronic Priesthood), thus the time must be short.

Most evangelicals, or at least most young evangelicals, these days just kind of roll their eyes whenever this stuff comes up. The common phrase you hear is that we are all now “Panmillennialists” in that “Whatever happens, it’ll all pan out in the end.” We’d much rather focus on the more immediate concerns of preaching and teaching the gospel and we’re perfectly happy to let God worry about the details of when He’s coming back to establish His Kingdom, thank you very much.

To put it another way, most young evangelicals these days have no real eschatology. Older evangelicals fall largely into two camps: Those affiliated with the evangelical version of a mainline denomination (i.e. Evangelical Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians) tend to be Amillennial (or at least their pastors tend to be), while the rest are almost entirely Premillennialists of one sort of another. Within the Premillennialists, most will say that subscribe to something very much like Dispensationalism, right up until you confront them with the problems with Dispensational soteriology and then they’ll deny it. Nevertheless, they’ll still subscribe to a throughly Dispensational eschatology. That having been said, there is a surprisingly large and growing camp of Historical Premillennialist evangelicals that, in the interest of full disclosure, I will say outright that I belong to.

LOL…sorry if it caused further confusion.

I would suggest the Left Behind Series of books, it is a fictionalized tale of how this belief is supposed to happen.

There are twelve books in the series though…and coupled with the Book of Revelation…only then did I came to wrap my head around this belief.

When I referenced the Book of Revelation…I said to myself…what they are teaching or proposing does not coincide with what is in Revelations…:smiley:

I would suggest this book:

amazon.com/The-Eternal-City-Catholic-Christianity/dp/0988442507/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_z

Book Description:

Read this book if you have ever wondered why the Catholic Church specifically claims to be Roman? It would seem that the Church of Jesus Christ would be centered in Jerusalem, the capital of the Jews, since Christ died and rose again in Jerusalem. Catholic theologian Taylor Marshall, Ph.D. provides a layman’s account of how Christ chose the Rome as an instrument of redemption for the nations. Beginning with the Old Testament prophets, Dr. Marshall explains how the Messiah would come and assume reign over the nations through the Roman Empire. This book provides an exciting and popular account establishing Rome as ‘the Eternal City’ of Christ the King.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.