Do Protestants Contradict Themselves?

Do Protestants believe that you ALSO have to keep and carry out God’s Commandments and do as he told us to do (such as feed the hungry and care for the sick) in order to be saved? Doesn’t it say you have to in the bible (Matthew 25: 31-46)?

And if so, doesn’t that contradict their notion of Sola Fide?

Sorry it’s so many questions in one, but they all lead together into one my main point.

Oh yes, just to clarify, I am fully aware that we as Catholics don’t believe in “salvation by works”, and that it in fact has been condemned multiple times by the Church.

Thanks ahead of time!!!

**EDIT: **And if they do contradict themselves, could I point that out in a discussion? (Sorry again for all the questions, they do all fit together, but if it’s too many, I understand and just let me know for next time)

Sorry, title should say “Do Protestants Contradict Themselves When it Comes to Sola Fide”. Won’t let me edit it for some reason. That’s a bit more specific than the current title. I’m pretty sure they contradict themselves in other matters.

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_31101999_cath-luth-joint-declaration_en.html

Read the whole thing, but if you prefer, just search for sola fide. This is between the Lutheran World Federation and the CC. It’s effectively a declaration that the doctrine of justification between our two churches is not in opposition. Or at least these aspects of it. Including Sola Fide.

Genuine faith, by definition, will be accompanied by good works. How can someone profess faith in Christ, yet fail to keep his commandments and do good unto others? The confusion in the past between Catholics and many denominations of Protestants has centered around this idea. But it seems like, in most cases, we believe the same thing. Namely, that a “faith without works is dead”, but also that “works alone” do not make us righteous before God. So, while Protestants may claim to hold Sola Fide, they are not necessarily denying the merit of good works, aided by grace, that flow from that faith.

The answer will vary to some extent, based upon the Protestant’s denomination. For example, the doctrine of the denomination in which I was raised (the Church of the United Brethren in Christ–aka “UBs”) is somewhat vague on the matter. They state, “We believe that the Holy Bible, Old and New Testaments, is the Word of God; that it contains the only true way to our salvation; that every true Christian is bound to acknowledge and receive it with the influence of the Spirit of God as the only rule and guide; and that without faith in Jesus Christ, true repentance, forgiveness of sins, and following after Christ, no one can be a true Christian.” Because I believe you need to follow God’s commandments in order to maintain your salvation, and ask for forgiveness when you fail, this works for me. But I think it’s easy enough to skew it another way. Later in the statement of doctrinal beliefs, there’s a statement about the practices of ordinances is left to “the judgment and understanding of every individual.” A LOT is left to personal interpretation.

And that’s just one denomination. :slight_smile:

Our beliefs are very similar; just worded differently.

This journal explains the differences:

chnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/salvation.pdf

Sola fide, maybe. They more contradict the Bible with that. (Although Lutherans do seem to have an awfully similar view of “faith v works” as Catholics)

Sola scriptura is the main contradiction. Biblical canon is itself Tradition.

Which protestants are we talking about? There are many different denominations with many diverse views…

Mainly Southern Baptist, that’s what my Father is (although he says non-denominational, because to him, Jesus didn’t create a Church here on Earth ), and that’s who I discuss with the most. But any Fundamentalist Christian viewpoint would work.

Personally I see so many similarities between ALL Christian churches, they just use different terms and meanings for some terms. I think the biggest difference is some Protestants believe in regeneration.

I think the Protestant view is salvation is by FAITH alone…regardless of what you do, you are saved if you confess Jesus is Lord. That said baptism is a sort of public declaration of that faith. Because of regeneration they believe a Christian who is saved will follow the commandments etc.

Yes I think Protestants contradict themselves, like was said above sola Scriptura is the big one :slight_smile:

Hope that helps?

As far as I know, yes. His view of the Catholic Church is a bit skewed like no tomorrow, but I’m assuming that’s because the sources he goes to to find info on the Church are never correct (He’s sent me quite a few links…), and even if I try to tell him otherwise he never listens/reads the sources I send him nor even what I say straight to his face. But yeah, as far as I know, I suppose he is a good man.

So you see, my point here is that he would take Christ’s commands seriously if he has faith in Him. Our definitions on Faith and works do not change that we are commanded to do what Christ tells us. I can assume that if he loves God and has Faith in Him, then works shall follow.

So even if he has a skewed view on Faith and works, it could be just the way he words it. All Christians know that works are commanded of us, and we must obey.

Croatia Church finds priest guilty of pedophilia for first time in staunchly Catholic nation

By The Associated Press February 22, 2014

ZAGREB, Croatia - The Croatian Catholic Church has found one of its priests guilty of sexually abusing minors, the first such ruling in the staunchly Catholic nation.

The head of Croatia’s Bishops Conference, Archbishop Zelimir Puljic, told Croatian state TV late Friday that the Rev. Nedeljko Ivanov was ordered to apologize to the victims and must donate part of his pension to charity. He is allowed to celebrate Mass only inside his retirement home, but cannot perform any other priestly duty.

The case emerged two years ago when Ivanov was accused by people who as children had been in the priest’s congregation in Bibinje, near Croatia’s Adriatic coast.

Ivanov cannot be tried by Croatia’s judiciary because the alleged abuse occurred in 1980s and 1990s.

The priest had no comment on the ruling.

So, while we are justified by faith alone, faith cannot ever be alone, but the fruits of faith must be there, or it is a dead faith, and not a saving faith.

Jon
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.