Do protestants go to heaven or purgatory?

My grandfather died sunday morning it was very sudden he had a massive heart attack on friday night and then was put into a medically induced coma and they took him off life support on sunday he died 10minutes later I was by his side along with my granny and my cousins and my dad well the thing is they arent catholic which has been bothering me alot he was a protestant a deacon of his church, he read the bible daily and believed in once saved always saved philosophy, is his soul in heaven or did he go to purgatory what is catholic teaching on the matter should I be praying for his soul? should I offer masses for him? :frowning:

Stillsosola, my condolences on your loss.

Yes, you can pray for his soul and offer masses for him.

I’ll say a prayer for the repose of his soul, as well.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :gopray:

Honestly, almost everyone with a sincere desire for God’s love goes to purgatory. Catholic, protestant, it doesn’t seem to matter.

There’s really a lot of misconception out there about what purgatory is. Your question suggests that you might view purgatory as a sort of punishment for people who aren’t “holy enough” to get into heaven or evil enough for hell. The reality is quite different.

Don’t think of purgatory as a place, as some sort of cosmic waiting room or anything similar. Purgatory is more of a process than anything else. Far from punishment, purgatory is a method of becoming closer to God. The root word is related to “purge”, and it involves the purging of that which separates us from God’s love. It involves an intensely unflinching examination of conscience and letting go of everything that holds us here. Temptation, pride, hatred, worldly ambition, and regret all get stripped away.

Yes, purgatory is painful. It has to be. All meaningful change is. Think back to the first time someone broke your heart. It hurt so bad you thought you weren’t going to come out of it alive, but then you did. In fact, you came out of it stronger, wiser, and more loving than you were before. The experience of purgatory is similar, and the outcome is far better.

I am deeply sorry for the death of your grandfather who by your account was a good and loving Christian. I don’t think you should let your grief be interrupted by some doctrinal debate as to where this category of Christian, or that, goes where.
Think of your Christ. Is he not the loving Father that is so ready to forgive us seven times seventy? Is he not the forgiving God of the woman caught in adultery. She didn’t even get a chance to ask for forgiveness before He forgave her.
If you have doubt in this loving God then worry about your grandfather, and indeed yourself.
Such worry is an insult to such a loving God as ours.
By all means pray consistently for all your loved ones who have died, for it is a good thing to pray for the dead. But do so in the hope of the promises of Christ. Offer masses for him as this is the most efficacious offering we have.
Doctrine is not a tool for fear, but for faith. Leave what we do not know to God, and concentrate on what in faith we do know… That God loves us more than we can love ourselves. Your grandfather is in the arms of his loving Saviour. Fear no more.

Sorry for the lose
We cannot know the fate of his soul or any soul with the exception if the saints. I would be the is in heaven/purgatory. Make sure you pray for him everyday and maybe God will give you an answer

Though I will say this God is love and your grandfather loved Jesus and others I am sure. So do you think God being love would send him to hell?

I am sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Protestants do get into heaven. It is not for Catholics only.
We should pray for all those who die. No prayer is ever wasted. If the soul is already in heaven, then the prayer will be applied to another soul.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Yes certainly pray for him and have Masses said for him as you would want someone to do for you after you die. We’re all God’s children. Only God knows who goes to Purgatory after death. So we pray for everyone just in case. The only difference is maybe Protestants would be a bit surprised to see it’s really there. But they will totally understand then. The Church prays always for all souls. Only Canonized Saints are infallibly declared to be in Heaven immediately after death. You can even ask your Grandpa to pray for you and your family. God Bless, Memaw

As we do not see the judgement each soul goes through at death we simply cannot say who goes to heaven, purgatory or hell…the most we can do is hope that the soul is in heaven but pray for them constantly incase they are in purgatory

I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather. He sounded like a devout Christian man.
Purgatory isn’t a form of hell so in your title that asks heaven or purgatory is a bit of a misnomer. Purgatory is like a final stepping stage of clean up before entering heaven. Only God know the final stage of your grandfather’s soul and if he was as devout as you said, then rest in peace about where he is at. Offer prayers for him, you can do that even though he wasn’t Catholic and trust in God’s mercy and love for him and be at peace.

This was very nicely explained.:thumbsup:

Stillsosola, I am sorry for your loss and yes you can and should pray for his soul to journey home safely in the arms of Jesus! And yes offer the Mass for his soul as well. These are all good things. And you can do the same for the rest of your family that are not Catholic as well. We have to remember that Jesus died on the cross not just for us Christians, but for all men - Jews, Muslims, Hindu, Buddhist and yes even the atheist. So pray the Holy Spirit will lead them to repentance and conversion if not in this lifetime than thru purgatory!

A good article on the subject:
catholic.com/blog/jim-blackburn/who-is-praying-for-matthew-warren

Thank you everyone for helping clarify things for me and for prayers for him I feel a little better now his veiwing is tomorrow and his funeral is friday I miss him deeply

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.