Do Protestants go to Purgatory?

Hi,

I am new to the Catholic Church and some of it’s teachings. This past Easter I was confirmed after being a Protestant for just over 20yrs. There are things I still don’t understand but want to about the Catholic Church.

One thing I still don’t quite understand is Purgatory, specifically regarding a Protestant Christian. As a Protestant I was taught that since I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, when I died I would immediately go to heaven since there is only hell and heaven. This isn’t what the Catholic Church teaches so I’m wondering what happens to those Christians who aren’t Catholic. Do they end up in Purgatory also and if they do then who prays for their soul to be cleansed so they can move on to heaven? How can they go to heaven if there isn’t anyone praying or offering Masses for them? What if they don’t know any Catholics (practicing or otherwise)? What value is it for them if they believed in the Christian faith and their life reflected it that by their actions?

Thanks,
Taliaxt

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on salvation for non-Catholics. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading: **
[LIST]
]Salvation from the Catholic Answers Library
]**Extra ecclesiam nulla salus **

*]**Salvation Outside of the Church **
*]**What is invincible ignorance? **
*]
Can a Mass be said for non-Catholics?**
*]How do I pray for the soul of a non-Christian?
*]Do protestants go to purgatory?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.