Do Protestants go to Purgatory?

Hi.

I am fairly new to the Catholic Church faith. This past Easter I was confirmed after having been a Protestant for nearly 30 years. There are things I still don’t understand but am seeking to know about.

One thing I don’t understand is about Purgatory, specifically toward Protestants. As a Protestant I was taught when I die I would immediately go to heaven because I had accepted Chris as my Lord and Savior and there is only heaven and hell after death. So, for a Protestant Christian where do they go after the body dies? Do they go to Purgatory and if they do then how do they get out since there probably isn’t anyone to pray for them or a Mass offered up for them? Will they ever go to heaven? If they have faith in God and they lived their life reflecting that faith, what does this mean for them in terms of eternity? What hope does a Protestant have after death? Since God doesn’t show favoritism among us I would think, according to Catholic teaching, when a Protestant dies they go to Purgatory regardless of what they believe about it.

Thanks,
Taliaxt

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on salvation for non-Catholics. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading: **
[LIST]
]Salvation from the Catholic Answers Library
]**Extra ecclesiam nulla salus **

*]**Salvation Outside of the Church **
*]**What is invincible ignorance? **
*]
Can a Mass be said for non-Catholics?**
*]How do I pray for the soul of a non-Christian?
*]Do protestants go to purgatory?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.