Do Protestants read the Catholic bible?

Are there any Protestants that prefer to read the Catholic bible (73 books) over the Protestant bible (66 books)? Do you think the 73 books should have remained at 73 all along?

yes, all Christians until the late (except for a sparse few ) 1800s read the Bible as 73 books nowadays less “denominations” do but this still happens in many communities.

God bless

Will read most of the various Christian Bibles, Protestant and Catholic.
Many Protestant Bibles contain 73 books.
I don’t know if they ‘should have remained;’ and it doesn’t matter to me. As long as it’s one of the most I’d read, it’s all good.

I love my New American Bible that I bought at the Catholic bookstore a few months ago. It is the first one I’ve ever owned that included all 73 books. But of course, one of the reasons I bought it is because I’m currently on a faith journey which I am pretty certain is going to end up with me being Catholic. :wink:

A close friend of mine (Episcopalian), asked me if I get her a Bible with “Apocrypha” (she means the Deutorocanonical books of course), which I eventually did.

I also overheard people in Barnes and Nobles over the years ask for Protestant Bibles with “Apocrypha.”

yes

yes

In their Bibles, the Apocrypha are set aside in a separate section, and labeled so. Our Deuterocanonical books are where they are supposed to be.

While I don’t have a “Catholic Bible”…well…except for an old DR version an old lady friend of mine left for me when she died…it has a companion volume “Lives of the Saints”, both in a nice brown/gold hardback binding…but I do use the Oxford Study Bible RSV with the Apocrypha/Deuter.

This Bible could be used by Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox. It contains books not used by the Catholic church but most Orthodox do. It was originally published in the '70’s under the title “The Common Bible”.

So, to answer your question…I have read those books in Catholic and Orhodox versions of scripture, but not specifically termed a “Catholic Bible.”

Concordia Publishing House, the publishing arm of the LCMS included the Apocrypha with their German bibles. Liturgical readings were selected from them on feast days, etc. (Epistle: Sirach 24:22-31 on the birth of Mary).

I don’t know when the CPH began printing versions of the bible without those books but I can say that they are being brought back into print and useage. At this time, the Aprochrypha are available as a separate volume. The ESV is the preferred translation of our synod and I expect to see the “second canon” books included in the next edition. It does take time to make a big change like that, since a lot of Lutherans are unaccustomed to those books.

Baby steps, baby steps.

I am currently reading the deuterocanonical books, and even some of the books not accepted as canon in the west. It is an ESV version with notes from the LCMS publishing company, CPH.

Jon

All Bibles are Catholic :D, they used to be chained because they were so expensive to make (The equivalent of a 3-year salary for each one, I think).

When the printing press came along, even Luther’s translation and the Original KJV (Not the modified one) included the DC books.

So it depends on how it has been modified to make it a version not approved by the Holy See.

Originally the DC’s books were taken out because of printing costs and in order to make the Bible more affordable. This transformed into a significant business - see how many different Study Bibles and [Fill in the blank] Bibles are out there today :hypno:

So whether a Protestant knows it or not, they are reading a Catholic Bible in some variation.

I used both, not so much today as I have been using an RSV-CE do to the larger print.

Welcome on the journey! I was also a convert – Pentecostal turned Lutheran turned home! I called the LCMS my 9-year liturgical layover.

Anyway, to reply to the OP’s question – everyone who reads a Bible reads the Catholic Bible, because the Catholic Church gave us the Bible. Protestants read an edited version of it, but the Bible is Catholic. :thumbsup:

Are there any Protestants that prefer to read the Catholic bible (73 books) over the Protestant bible (66 books)?

Yes, I own a NRSV CE and its my preferred version.

Do you think the 73 books should have remained at 73 all along?

No, I don’t believe they are canonical, it was right to move them to the appendix as useful but not equal to the rest of scripture.

I spent good money for the Lutheran published Apocraypha Study Edition - frankly it’s a bit amusing to think that Lutherans made one of the best study editions available.

cph.org/p-19305-the-apocrypha-the-lutheran-edition-with-notes.aspx

That said, I find the hand-wringing over these books rather amusing - in the heat of battle, let’s not forget that we’re talking about books like Tobit. A fine book, but it’s not remotely up to par with the synoptic gospels.

Personally, I think they should be included out of deference to the history of the early-church. What we label them isn’t really important.

But at the same time, I’m not going to get angry about the situation - there’s other books with more Gospel that are left entirely out of the bible - specifically the Didache that merit more study (in my opinion) than Tobit.

I have a copy of The Catholic Study Bible which I use as a reference.

most protestants i know would not own a catholic bible. the would prefer a King James Bible or any other protestant Bible. i asked one friend of mine who is a baptist to read the book of Tobit. i told her what a wonderful book it was. you would have thought i had asked her to pull her teeth out. she never read it. i gave up asking. i don’t know if she thought she would be struck down if she read one of the deuterocannonical books, but she was not even interested in investigating.

Get her the original and unedited KJV.

:smiley:

:thumbsup:

Jon

I definitely think that it is possible that there are 73 inspired books. I did not even know that you guys had a different bible until college. I have only read Tolbit and parts of others so far. I do not read the catholic bible more though it has more to do with a translational issue than a # of books issue. I am kinda snobby when it games to translations and I have never looked into what your guys’s translation is like. One of my friends who lead me to Christ once said he read all the denueteral( I can’t remember how that is spelled) canonical books and determined that they were weren’t inspired. I took his word for it for a long time. I am not so sure anymore but I also am unwilling or unmotivated to find out for myself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.