Do renewed baptismal vows at Mass fix faulty or non-existent baptisms?

Frequently I have restated my baptismal vows at Mass. Granted my original baptism happened when I was only months old. The priest then sprinkles the congragation with holy water. Does this renewed baptismal vow now engage the sacrament of baptism if their was unknowingly no valid baptism in the first place?

There are near death cases where non-clergy baptize. There are cases where Protestant baptism is accepted and assumed valid and no Catholic baptism is given. With billions of Catholics, there could be cases where a parent had twenty children and accidentally baptized one child twice and one not at all.

I have always considered renewed baptismal vows at Mass a safty net for anyone who did not properly recieve the sacrament of baptism in the first place. I thought that renewed baptismal vows at Mass would kick in and sacramentally baptize a person who did not properly recieve the sacrament of baptism in the first place. Is this true or not true?

Some people state that renewed marriage vows at Mass cannot renew a sacrament that never existed. If this is true, is this the same with renewed baptismal vows? If the sacrament of baptism is never recieved at an official baptism, are renewed baptismal vows at Mass non-effective and the person is simply not a member of Christ’s church in line for salvation?

[quote=Dr. Colossus]You can’t “renew” vows for a marriage that never existed.
[/quote]

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

No, the renewal of baptismal vows at Mass doesn’t fix a faulty baptism. But what does fix a faulty baptism is “the Faith of the Church.” The old phrase is “Ecclesia Supplet,” I think.

Suppose an RCIA candidate is not baptized because it is assumed that his Protestant baptism was valid. Even if it wasn’t valid for some reason, the Faith of the Church supplies what is missing, so that the candidate is truly received into the fullness of the Church.

[quote=JimG]No, the renewal of baptismal vows at Mass doesn’t fix a faulty baptism. But what does fix a faulty baptism is “the Faith of the Church.” The old phrase is “Ecclesia Supplet,” I think.

Suppose an RCIA candidate is not baptized because it is assumed that his Protestant baptism was valid. Even if it wasn’t valid for some reason, the Faith of the Church supplies what is missing, so that the candidate is truly received into the fullness of the Church.
[/quote]

But the RCIA requires an adequate examination of the persons Baptism. If there is any serious doubt, then Conditional Baptism is given.

I echo the sentiments of the previous posters.

It’s like going to the License Branch to renew your Driver’s License when you don’t have one. You cannot renew what you don’t have.

However, with Ecclesia Supplet, and also the doctrine of Baptism by Desire, while I wouldn’t encourage anyone to avoid being properly baptized, if you died on your way to the font, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned.

Rob+

Looks like it’s unanimous Steve. You can’t renew that which you never had in the first place. As stated above, Baptism by Desire covers for those who would have been baptised if they could have before passing.

God Bless,

CARose

[quote=CARose]Looks like it’s unanimous Steve. You can’t renew that which you never had in the first place. As stated above, Baptism by Desire covers for those who would have been baptised if they could have before passing.

God Bless,

CARose
[/quote]

Hello CARose,

I saw one yes in the poll. It was not me. But I will not argue with it being pretty much unanimous.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.