Do Rosaries have to be blessed?

I once heard someone say that just praying on it is enough so I’m a bit confused. If they do have to be blessed, it’s not wrong to pray the Rosary on a Rosary that hasn’t been blessed right?

I’ve never had a Rosary that I haven’t had blessed. I won’t use a new Rosary until it’s blessed. I think it just gives is special graces to use or display a blessed holy object.

2 Likes

You see, growing up I saw my parents asking priests to bless them, but as I grew older I myself never actually did it because I didn’t really know so that’s good to know! I’ll be getting my rosaries blessed now! Thank you CajunJoy65!

When our priest blesses any religious object he also blesses me or the person asking it to be blessed. He says something to the point of may ___________ use this object for the glory of God and may she receive blessings from it’s use. JUST paraphrasing. I love to get my religious objects blessed and receive a blessing as well.

5 Likes

Well, my poor priest is about to get a boat load of things :sweat_smile:! But thank you! I definitely will do it and let others know to do it too!

1 Like

I believe that the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary tells its members to have their rosaries blessed. I think St Louis de Monfort and St Alphonsus de Ligouri do as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for that information HolySpirit! All the more reason to do it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blessing a rosary is not essential. Our Lady will be most pleased by those who pray their rosary.

8 Likes

Blessings
Yes, all religious sacramental are to be blessed x the Bible. It is powerfully blessed b/c of the WORD OF GOD
In Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

1 Like

No it isn’t mandatory to have your rosary blessed. As soon as you open the box from Amazon, its fine to pray on.

5 Likes

Blessings
You can pray on unblessed rosaries, but my previous statement stands, as preference.
God bless us all.
In Christ’s Love
Tweedlealice

2 Likes

A rosary is mainly to assist in counting the prayers of the prayer that is « the rosary ».

You can pray the rosary counting on your toes and fingers if need be, as I’m sure many a martyr has done while awaiting the crown of martyrdom in some squalid prison. God understands.

And if you are eager to pray it before having the chance to have it blessed, then go ahead! God will appreciate your zeal in prayer!

Of course having one blessed can make it very special. Even though I rarely pray it (I’m more into the Liturgy of the Hours), I have a nice olive wood one blessed for me by an African monk at Subiaco that I treasure and is hanging in my oratory.

3 Likes
1 Like

While one doesn’t have to have a Rosary blessed before using it, it’s nice if you can. I have Rosaries that have been blessed by several Popes, some that have been blessed by Bishops and some that have been blessed by our local priests. All are very special and I enjoy using them during my prayer time.

1 Like

Rosaries have to blessed to be a blessed rosary. They don’t have to be blessed to pray the rosary. A blessed rosary is a sacramental. Of course you should get a rosary blessed. But you can still pray the rosary and benefit even before it is blessed.

I love wood and string rosaries.

2 Likes

I don’t think it has to beblessed, but I do think it’s better to pray with a blessed rosary because that rosary has been set aside for a sacred purpose (blessed).

2 Likes

Is a Bible considered a sacramental?

2 Likes

I don’t bless any Rosaries, beads, or anything, at this point of time.

I have a habit of losing and misplacing items, and we move house due to being renters a fair bit. I wouldn’t want my blessed Rosary being … well, mistreated.

:tulip:

1 Like

Hello.

I hope you get your rosary blessed. It feels so much better when you’re tempted and you can grab it from your pocket.

3 Likes

Cajun, Brother,
Where do you get these cool teachings
In Christ’s Love
Tweedlealice

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.