Do “Sola Scriptura” Protestants observe Lent? If so, why? It isn’t biblical

And there’s a learning opportunity.

I would guess the numerical nomenclature was introduced as a convenience, a countdown. Adiaphora, but useful.

I agree. Sola Scriptura is put forth by some groups as a principle which requires something to be explicitly allowed by Scripture. The Church of Christ is like this as are plenty of members of other denominations. Not every Protestant thinks this way, but some certainty do.

There’s been some effort to promote Lenten observance in recent years in Evangelical circles.

Raised protestant and did not even hear of Lent until I was in college. So it’s tough to consider observing a tradition you’ve never heard of.

Lent is an awesome concept. I don’t see why not. If we are to strive to be Christ like why not observe his fasting. Seems to me the Catholic Church is asking less of it’s members in way of fasting and not doing it exactly as Christ did.

As a protestant I have questions if I may without derailing your topic. From my understanding the fish on Fridays was due to the fact only families of wealth could afford meat outside of fish and gave up meat during Lent to give the monetary difference to the poor. Where I live just about every type of meat is less expensive than fish. So would you turn the tradition the go with the cheaper meat even say spam from a can and give what you would have spent on the fish to the poor?

Also, you give more than that up? What would you recommend? Your time to studying? Your nail appointments to charity?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

It’s a fad as of late. A Baptist minister called me this year to ask how to celebrate Ash Wenesday. He was planning to mix olive oil with ashes. Luckily I told him not to do that and sent him a copy of the ritual. My best guess is that ex-Catholics in his church are requesting ashes.

Sausages? Shouldn’t they be eaten on Collop Monday?

I learn a lot around here. That’s a new one on this colonial.

OTOH, there is a very nice lady, of the RCC lineage, who has attended a couple of our pancake Shrove Tuesdays, who asked me this year what the meaning of Shrove was.

Did you tell her?

Yep. She was, as I said, very nice. I started in on the liturgical year and all that, not knowing her background, but she only looking for the idea “Shrove”. And she liked the pancakes.

Good! Next year, please save some for me!

Ok. They were really quite good, and some had blueberries in them.

Speak for yourself. Assemblies of God don’t speak for all Protestants. Please only speak for Assemblies of God

Could you really tell from that comment that @Excath belongs to the Assemblies of God? I’m impressed! I was going to write something along the lines of “Only a minority of Protestants assert their identity as a New Testament Church …” but you snuck in ahead of me. Thank you for saving me the trouble!

Actually, I looked on his profile. :wink:

Scott Hahn says in his new book that his church, at least, didn’t celebrate it. He used the term “palm-less Sunday” to refer to his service.

And yet Palm Sunday has a Biblical precedent. The pre-Easter fast has been traced back no further than the Council of Nicea, possibly even a few years later.

What church was he in?

Presbyterian, I believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.