Do some of you Protestants or Muslims liked crusaders and knights?

They’re cool devoted and gallant warriors, characters of Arthurian legends. But they are in league with Catholicism, kills and hurts opponents. I wonder if there are non Catholics that actually like them, because it’s weird.

I am very interested in that period of history.

As far as “liking” them I am not sure. I am not even very sure that many Catholics even like them or the Crusades in general.

Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

They were “in league” not just with Catholicism but with Western Christianity, before Protestantism separated from Catholicism. As such, their failures - all of those needless deaths on both sides - are part of our heritage, too.

Here Here Myst and I applaud you speaking out, they were called "Christian Crusades’ not Catholic Crusades and they didn’t start because Christians just felt like having a crusade. Like most conflicts there is more to the story that isn’t being heard.

If you are wondering about the origins of the Crusades to the Holy Land look at ISIS now.

Maybe today we’d all be on our knees praying towards Mecca 5 times a day if not for those crusades.
Maybe we’re still fighting those crusades and have just launched our most recent campaign in Iraq and Syiria.

http://www.clarionproject.org/sites/default/files/ISIS-Expansion-IP.jpg

Maximilian Kolbe declared that the fight against the forces of Satan was to be a crusade, one that would not end until total victory had been declared. Prince Drucki-Lubecki donated property to Father Kolbe in order to allow the Militia Immaculata to be able to further the crusade against Modernism. In 1929 Father Kolbe wrote that “For us it is not merely enough to defend the Faith… We have the fortress and, full of trust in our Leader, we go among the enemy hunting hearts to conquer for the Immaculata….Every heart that beats or will beat on earth until the end of time must become the Immaculata’s prize. This is our aim. And this as soon as possible.” Under Father Kolbe’s leadership, a base of operations was established, the faithful were gathered, and the battle lines were drawn. There would be no compromise with the foe, Christian warriors would only put down their weapons of spiritual war when every knee bowed to honor Christ.

I’ve never associated knights with being Catholic as opposed to more generically Christian. Certainly the imagery is popular…when I was taught the armor of the Spirit, the pictures used for illustration were of an armored knight.

I can’t imagine Muslims liking crusaders, though. I’d be astonished to learn if any did.

Maybe today we’d all be on our knees praying towards Mecca 5 times a day if not for those crusades.

Well, Jerusalem is in the same general direction. I’d be more concerned with the death of art – I shudder to think of Europe without statuary.

And you know, the whole life-without-Grace thing would be hell on Earth.

ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/jakin_crusades_sept06.asp

threeminuteapologetics.blogspot.in/2011/02/what-about-crusades.html

seanmcdowell.org/index.php/apologetics/what-about-the-crusades/

sharefaith.com/guide/christian-apologetics/myth-busters-in-apologetics.html

catholic.com/radio/shows/how-to-explain-the-crusades-4775

mapsofwar.com/ind/history-of-religion.html
see how colours change.

I expect that people liked them being ‘anywhere but here’, given the brutality of internecine fighting, sieges etc during that period of Medieval European history.

I admire anyone with a true Christian faith that is gallant, and brave, and gives their lives or of their lives for those that can’t help themselves. So, I’m fairly certain there were some of those knights that fit the bill. As in all things, there were good knights, and bad knights, knights that fought for the right reasons, knights that fought for the wrong ones. Just like with the leaders, and those in the church at the time; some were mere politicians seeking power, but of course some were genuine. Thank God I don’t have to be the one to figure out which were which.

Hold on there; he said they were Western Christian Crusades. Crusaders persecuted Eastern Christians in the Levant and Eastern Roman Empire as they did Muslims and Jews.

The Fourth Crusade, most notably, ranks up there with the creation of Souperism in Ireland among Christianity’s darkest moments.

The Fourth Crusade is just one part. It was common for traveling crusaders to raid the Balkans and Roman-held Anatolia on the way to their wars in order to get supplies, and the Crusader States exiled the Patriarchs of Antioch and Jerusalem, setting up alternate Latin-Rite bishops in their place. Proselytizing of local Orthodox Christian citizens was common by the elites of the Crusader States in the Levant, and that’s not even bringing up the Crusader States in the Balkans and Cyprus which are both entirely different cans of worms altogether. If we’re going to call the Crusades “A Christian phenomenon,” I should hope that we can distinguish that countless thousands of Christians were victims of this phenomenon, too. Life wasn’t made easy for Eastern, Oriental, and Assyrian Church of the East Christians, and if I recall correctly the Venetians argued that it was the duty of the Crusaders to sack Latin Rite Ragusa as well.

The Crusades were dark times indeed. I can’t see how anyone could look favorably on them, whatever their own religious views may be.

Aaargh, did I post anything?

I can’t imagine Moslems would like them, as Moslems were attacking Byzantine Christendom for 4 centuries before the Crusaders came to their defense.

Obviously there were no protestants around during the Crusades, but I can’t imagine they would like them either, since they were making alliances with the Turks which, if it weren’t for the Catholics, would have meant the destruction of Christendom.

I am looking forward to EWTN’s programming on the facts regarding the Crusades…starting this October, Wednesday 8 pm Eastern time…have to check which Wednesday it begins…for 4 weeks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.