Do the Last Rites (and Sacraments) contradict the Bible as works salvation?

Why do Catholics believe that you need to perform the “Last Rites” ritual, in order to guarantee going to heaven, even though the Bible says in John 3:16, about Jesus, that whoever BELIEVES in Him will not perish but have eternal life. It does not say that whomever performs a RITUAL will have eternal life. Also, how do they explain the supposed “necessity” of this ritual, when Romans 3:28 clearly says that we are justified by faith, apart from works? Last but not least, how do Catholics explain away Ephesians 2:8-9, which says that we are saved by God’s grace, through our faith, and NOT by works?
(works means anything you DO, including rituals)

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on salvation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Are last rites the same thing as extreme unction?**
]* Salvation from the Catholic Answers Library**
]* Once Saved, Always Saved? by Jason Evert **
]* Is Justification Ongoing? by Mark Brumley**
]* It’s Not Over ‘til It’s Over by Tim Staples**
]* How should a Catholic reply to the question, “have you been saved?”**
]* What’s the difference between redemption and salvation?**
]* Where do I find info on salvation?**
]* Confused: I can’t be sure I’m going to heaven?**
]* What about eternal security?**
]* Does 1 John 5 confirm once saved, always saved?**
]* Can one lose salvation?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.